Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who should the Twins trade to get a big bat?

AA ERA

Who should the Twins trade to get a big bat?

Jim Souhan has already written about how the Twins should go after Joe Randa. Charley Walters has already speculated his silly trade rumors. I think the Twins need to get a bat and they need to thinker with the rotation. I like Randa and I wouldn't mind getting him or even Willy Mo Pena. Question is who should the Twins give up and who do you want the Twins to give up? To me, the Twins have to let Baker, Perkins, Liriano as untouchables. Twins got lot of pitching depth so they can afford to lose others. The three guys that I mentioned can not be traded considering that they will be in the rotation either next year (Baker and maybe Liriano) or in 2007 (Perkins). I am ready to give up on Durbin. I just don't think J.D. Durbin is going to be a fit for the Twins so if some team wants him, they can have him.

Twins need to make a trade soon and for them to make a trade, they gotta play well starting now. They can't fall further behind in the standings. 10 games is a huge deficit it is, but it's also doable. 20 games though could mean fire sale. if the Twins are 20 games out, I expect them to cut salary which would mean Brad, Jacque, Shannon, and maybe Torii would be available.

It's gut check time for this team.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Pena? Steak he hits homers sure but a guy with a low BA. We need A guy that can hit 30 homers drive in 120 and has a batting average of about 275. If you have any rumors to possible trades post them steak. I have not seen anything.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    What about Adam Dunn? I think he'd do great in this lineup. He's a free agent after the season so if the club doesn't want to re-sign him, they won't lose too much money.

But i think a power bat like Dunn would be really sick with guys like Jones, Ford, Mauer and such.

AA ERA
    mntwinsfan: I will be on the lookout for rumors.

Charley Walters mentioned some of the trade possibilities out there. Keep in mind though Charley embellishes a lot so who knows. I recalled once that Charley talked about how the Wild were going to sign Bill Guerin, who signed with the Dallas Stars couple of years ago as a FA.

Here is the link:
    http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...s/11951877.htm

Go to http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/scorecard/index.html and look for trade rumors daily if you are into trade rumors, mntwinsfan. Bookmark that link.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Good stuff here Steak! RedsFan4Life showed us this thread and it is an interesting situation for both of our teams.

mntwinsfan: Check out Pena's BA right now. I think he may be right around that for his career numbers by the time it is all said and done. He has power no doubt about it, but he can surprisingly hit. I am not trying to sell him to you either. I would want Pena to stay with the Reds if at all possible. Only a good, young, proven pitcher would be worth his while.

Morneau 27: Dunn would really look good as a Twin for your guys sake. And I cannot guarantee a Dunn signing as he is getting more and more tired of the Reds organization every day. But, same goes for him, no good pitching talent, no deal.

So, are Baker, Liriano, or Perkins worth your guys getting a power hitter to bolster your lineup and help you contend?

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Trade Joe Nathan to get a big bat and put Crain in the closer role.

Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Morneau_27
    What about Adam Dunn? I think he'd do great in this lineup. He's a free agent after the season so if the club doesn't want to re-sign him, they won't lose too much money.

But i think a power bat like Dunn would be really sick with guys like Jones, Ford, Mauer and such.
    He's not a free agent yet. He still is arbitration eligible for two more years. The Reds control his rights until 2008.

AA ERA
    DK: Juan Rincon and J.C. Romero would be a trade bait before Joe Nathan. There is no way Nathan would be gone for this year. No way. You can't move Jesse Crain to the closer role. Too risky. Joe just signed a two-year extension too so that won't be happening. I could see Jesse being the setup guy this year or next year. I will be shocked if Juan will be here next year.

AA ERA
    Read in the Strib today that the Twins are done going after Randa. I have no idea why. Randa is a better option over some of the guys that they are waiting for. I hear TR is infatuated with Sean Burroughs of the Padres, but Burroughs has not played to his potential like Cuddyer so I am not sure how he is going to help the Twins.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    So, are Baker, Liriano, or Perkins worth your guys getting a power hitter to bolster your lineup and help you contend?
    Those guys are worth it, but I don't want them traded because those three will be in the rotation next year. I am ready to trade Bonser and Durbin. I think they will be good, but I am not sure if they will ever make the team.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    LOL, Steak you are giving me ideas on who I would hate the Reds to pursue. If you are unsure that they will make your team, I certainly do not want them to become another 4 or 5 starter on our team. I guess it all depends on whether you guys are winning in July. If so, you guys may be desperate enough to get a player or two to make that push to the playoffs. In that case, desperate times call for desperate measures, measures that could rid you of a big prospect.

AA ERA
    I think Bonser and Durbin are good enough to help the Reds or any other team IMO. Twins got lot of good pitching prospects out there. I just prefer Liriano, Baker, and Perkins to stay considering they can contribute next year.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    Read in the Strib today that the Twins are done going after Randa. I have no idea why. Randa is a better option over some of the guys that they are waiting for. I hear TR is infatuated with Sean Burroughs of the Padres, but Burroughs has not played to his potential like Cuddyer so I am not sure how he is going to help the Twins.

Burroughs? I really don't like him at all. He has not hit for anything. Maybe a change might help him and in the homerdome his stats may improve. I would rather see Dunn here I think it would be a great fit. His RBI totals would go up like 30 more. Reds dont get many on base for Dunn and that is why his rbi totals are so low. We can get people on base but there has ben several nights we cant score. Dunn would be a great fit for the team.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    I really haven't followed baseball as closely as I'd like to this year (for multiple "real life" reasons). I have no clue who the hell would be good to go after. I -do- know that we need a hitter though. A cleanup kind of guy that just rocks the ball and puts the fear into pitchers. Now, more than likely the Twins will NEVER have someone like that on our roster as long as that old bastard owner of ours is still around, but that doesn't change the fact that a big hitter is our biggest need.

AA ERA
    Wasn't Morneau and Mauer supposed to put the fear on the pitchers? All I heard was how the M and M boys was going to be the Twins version of Mantle and Maris. That had me laughing. I like to see those two accomplish big things for the Twins before they are compared to greatness. I never knew why the Pioneer Press and the Strib would use those two as Mantle and Maris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast