Thread: 6/18/05: Padres/Twins

AA ERA

6/18/05: Padres/Twins

Twins continue the weekend series against the Padres tonight at the Dome. Twins are coming off a big win last night as they came from behind to tie the game on Torii's two stolen bases and then winning the game in extra innings. It would be nice to take the series against a struggling team right now.

Brad is on the hill tonight. It would be really nice if Brad can pitch a darn good game and it would be even nicer if Brad can get out of the first inning with 0 runs and 0 home runs. His last two starts hasn't been very good. He has to get it together like the rest of the starters.

Lawrence vs. Radke

AA ERA
    Good thing Lynch is fishing or else he would have a heart attack watching his favorite pitcher stinking it up for the first two innings and then pitches well the rest of the game. Unfortunately, it was game over by then with the way Brian Lawrence was making quick work of the Twins.

I was very dissapointed with the way the team played tonight and quite frankly, I have not been happy with the way the Twins are playing lately. What you saw tonight is what you have seen lately and it's no wonder why the Twins are all of sudden losing games. Bad defense and bad work from the pitchers. I thought the team looked listless out there tonight and that really bothered me.

I have no idea what is wrong with Brad. He was okay tonight, but you know what. His first inning woes has become a serious issue. It's not a laughing matter anymore. Anytime you start to fall behind like that, it's tough to score runs with the other pitcher feeling confident with that lead. That's not very good. Lawrence made sure he was not blowing that lead. Starting pitching sets the tone for a team to win and Brad is just not doing that. These first inning woes can be too much for the Twins when they have to fight back. Brad gives up a HR in the first and then struggles in the second. He was lucky that he was able to get out of the bases loaded jam in the sixth.

Matt Guerrier actually pitched. I was wondering why he hasn't been pitching for so long. He has been so good. It boggles my mind why he hasn't been pitching lately. He was very rusty. That's going to happen when he does not have work. Gardenhire had to be ticked off at Guerrier for not using him because it makes no sense not to use him when he has been very good all year.

Terry Mullholland finished off the game and he got hit hard. It's hard to expect a 45-year old pitcher to do well for three nights in a row. I rather had Guerrier finished this game. He hasn't pitched in so many weeks. TM has pitched a lot lately. So what if Guerrier stunk. That was to be expected with him not pitching much. I know TM is the mopup guy, but Guerrier could have used some work.

The offense did not look good, but Brian Lawrence was the reason why. He is a very underrated pitcher. He is pretty darn good. I wouldn't mind having him on the Twins. I rather him over Joe Mays and Kyle Lohse for sure.

I just wish the Twins showed up defensively tonight.

I did not expect a win tonight with Brad on the mound. I just don't trust him and he is proving me right.

To really make matters worse, She-ca-go won on A.J's GW HR and Cleveland won again tonight. She-ca-go is up by 6 games and the Indians are only behind two games.

Things are not looking good right now considering the starters just are not pitching well and the fact Cleveland is much closer to the Twins than the Twins being much closer to the Sux.

The Twins need a huge pick-me up performance tommorow by Johan.

MLB ERA
    Darrel May vs Johan Santana...things aren't looking good for the Padres tomorrow
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

AA ERA
    Tommorow is a must-win game for the Twins. If they lose this one, I think the Twins will be in third place and they might just end this season with the way things are going. Boston and NY are getting very hot and you know those two will be in the playoffs. I think you can say the season is on the line tommorow. I do not want to be down by 7.5 games and I sure as hell don't want to see Boston finish ahead of the Twins in the WC race.

They are not in great shape. Whatever good things they have done has been gone after a lousy week. Their starting pitching blow goats right now.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Twins stink once again. They got pounded 2 nights this week the 9th inning vs san fran and again tonight. Radke STINKS!! What is it with him why in the he** can't he get past the 3rd inning without going behind. Seems to me and I will say it again put his as* in the bp this way it will give him some time to figure things out.

I just freaking understand how bad are sp has become! That was supposed to be the thing that was going to put us over the top. Damn white six keep winning. We do have alot of games to play against them. We need to get things fixed in a hurry if we are over 9 games out I will say it now the season is over.

Steak for Mully he got hit hard. And I do believe he gave up alot of runs in the 9th vs San Fran, It may be his time to call it over. He has his day in the sun! There has to be pitching in our farm system that is ready.

Are we looking to deal before fa? A sp or a dh hitter? what have your guys heard? I do think we need to make a change or 2 to get us on a winning roll again. When you cant win a series agains team you should beat there is issues. I dont like how the pen is being used. Gardenfire needs to have trust in the boys but when there getting hammered get someone else in there. I kind of would like to see the pitching coach do a better job and take more control over the staff. Seems like he doe's nothng How about fixing Radke issues.

More later.. Enough on the twins poor play. Frustrated again by the Good Guy.

Jason
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AA ERA
    mntwinsfan: Something tells me that Gardy wants TM to be in the rotation. TM has been getting lot of work lately and odds are he might be in the rotation soon if Joe Mays or Kyle can't get their act together. Thing is TM is only a 1 inning guy at best. He did a solid job as the #5 starter last year, but I am not sure if TM is the guy that can give you 5 full innings nowadays

I wonder if Brad prepares well or what. Whatever it is, it's not working. Something has to be wrong for him to be this bad in the first inning. This is something that used to be a running joke. Now it's making everyone upset.

You mention how bad the sp has become. It has been awful. Johan and Carlos seems like lock to win games, but guys like Brad, Joe Mays, and Kyle are just question marks. I don't think I trust Brad anymore. I am losing patience with Joe. I will have zero faith with Kyle even if he wins 15 in a row. Twins had a wild-card lead because Joe and Kyle did great. Now that those two stunk, this team has fallen behind.

Will there be deals? At this point, no. This is the team that we are going to be watching this entire season. Of course, deals come when it has not been in the rumor mill like Shannon Stewart coming to the Twins three years ago. I could see callups though. I doubt Lriano will be here this year though. He just advanced to Rochester and I am not sure if he is ready to go to the majors. We could see Scott Baker after the All-Star break. Baker could come soon though if Joe Mays or Kyle Lohse can't get it together. Mays has not looked very good and if he continues to pitch like that in the next three starts, I could see him going to the bullpen and maybe Baker could take his place.

Rick Anderson has to do something with Brad. Rick is normally good at detecting flaws with pitchers. You would think he would know what is up with Brad. You know Rick has to do lot of brainstorming about Brad's first inning woes because there is no way it should continue.

MLB ERA
    True Steak but why has it not happened? Anderson needs to have a sit down with Brad, Kyle, and Joe to see what these guys issues are and try to fix them between the 4 of them. by no way can this continue. Who is this Lianaro ( spelling) your talking about? How good is he what is his pitches and mpr? I say give Baker a call up. Would be better than and of the three we have talked about. No one would know about baker and what his pitches are.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AA ERA
    I know Rick is coaching Kyle and Joe when I watch the games. Rick constantly prods Kyle after every inning and sometimes Rick really gets into his face. The same with Joe. With Brad, Rick does not prod him out of respect to Brad. Brad is a veteran and Rick figures Brad knows what he is doing. With that said, desperate times seeks desperate measures. I would hope that RIck and Brad are talking about what's going on. Brad's first inning woes has become a serious issue.

Francisco Liriano came with Joe Nathan and Boof Bonser as part of the trade that sent A.J. to San Francisco. Liriano throws strikes. I really don't know the speed, but the important thing is that he can throw strikes. I heard lot of good things about him from Giants fans that I know. Merkin raves about him all the time.

Scott Baker could be coming soon. I am for him coming to be honest. Twins can't afford to wait for Kyle Lohse to start growing up or Joe Mays to get his sinker back. If either or both of them can't get it done, have Baker get it going.

MLB ERA
    steak tell merkin hello. have him pm me if possible i need to talk to him.

Now just because your a vetran should not mean your safe from the manager and pitching coach. Brad I believe needs someone to get in his face. If you continue to screw thing up like brad has why not get the yelling at you may very well deserve.

I will say this now if we lose tomorrow and chi sucko wins we are in major trouble. I hope as usual that we can count on Johan to get us the pick me ups we need real bad.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AA ERA
    Merkin hasn't been here in a long time along with Kobe. Both guys got full-time jobs I think so they have been busy with their jobs.

I am all for Rick and Gardy to talk Brad in a professional manner. They can't be defending Brad anymore. Brad always gets a free pass from the players to the managers to the media. There is no way Gardy and Rick can defend him.

AA ERA
    I just read the Strib. Brad said that his neck was hurting and it has been going on in recent weeks. If that is the case, why is he pitching. He should spend time on the DL and have his neck checked out. There is no point pitching through pain and not to be effective. You are killing the team that way. If Brad has to miss time, so be it. There is no point going out there and getting creamed if he is not feeling right. I sure hope that is the reason why Brad has not been good lately. If that is not the case and the first inning woes and the HRs continues, Twins are doomed.

MLB ERA
    dl Radke lets get a sp in there who will help this team. Give abaker a shot or anyone else for that matter in aaa ball that will help us win.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AA ERA
    I wouldn't mind seeing Brad in the DL. He is simply not right and if his neck is really bothering him to the point he can't even pitch, then he should be in the DL. There is no point trying to toughen out if you are not getting it done. Brad simply is not getting it done and if his neck is still bothering him, there is no point pitching.