Thread: 6/17/05: Padres/Twins

AA ERA

6/17/05: Padres/Twins

Twins are coming off a lousy series against the Giants in which the pitching stunk. Let's see if the pitching can be better this weekend against the Padres, who just got swept by the Detroit Tigers.

Carlos is on the mound tonight. He has been fantastic and he has to continue to pitch this way especially with the way Joe and Kyle are pitching these days.

Twins gotta turn this around a little bit. Their wild-card lead is teneous at best and they can't afford to fall further behind in the standings.

Silva vs. Stauffer

AA ERA
    WHAT A WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was a game that the Twins really needed after having a rough week. This team was starting to fade a little bit so it was good to tie the game from behind and then winning it in the eleventh inning.

It was good to see Lew get the leadoff walk, then Luis Rodriguez got a double as Lew ran from first to third. Michael got the walk. That set the stage for Glenn Williams to be a hero with the bases loaded and he came through with the GW Hit. Twins win the game 4-3

I never thought the Twins would come from behind to win it or even tie it. They looked flat after Carlos had that bad inning. Twins could not execute with runners in scoring position in the middle innings as they struck out or ground into double play. Fortunately, they came through in the eighth. That started with Torii getting the leadoff hit and then stealing second and third. That heads-up steal by Torii to second and then to third was the play of the game in my back. Without that, there would be no tie game and we likely would be agonozing another loss.

Carlos had that one bad inning in the third just like how the Twins starters has had one bad inning lately, but at least Carlos picked himself up and got out of it. Carlos was good overall after that. 7 good innings.

The pen was very good. Jesse was fantastic. Terry Mullholland did well in the ninth. Juanie was huge in the tenth and eleventh after a rough night last night against the Giants. J.C. had to leave the game in the seventh as he got hit with the ball. He was limping. You know what? I don't like to see people get hurt, but I thought that was a blessing in disguise. I just don't trust J.C. at all. I don't care if he is lights out. I just have no faith in him and I was happy to see Jesse replace him there. That might have been the key of this game too.

Great win tonight. I was very happy to see the Twins get this one. I had to admit I did not have any faith in seventh inning. I am glad I was wrong.

Very big win.

AA ERA
    Couple of extra things to point out:

-- I was dissapointed the beat writers did not mention much about Torii's steal to second and third. Glenn Williams got lot of mention and rightfully so, but it seemed that Torii's work meant nothing as it was not even mentioned on Twinsbaseball.com and the Twin Cities newspapers. That's hard to believe. Without that steal, I am not sure the Twins tie the game or even win it. That was baffling.

-- Gardy apparently called a team meeting after the game. It's rare to have a team meeting after a win, but I know where Gardy is coming from. This team hasn't played well and I think this team has looked flat in the homestand in all of the four games. I am glad Gardy noticed this. This team needs to play with a sense of urgency every night because this year, they are going to have to earn a playoff spot considering She-ca-go is not fading anytime soon and you know Boston and NY will buy the wild-card spot. Oh and the Indians are on the Twins necks even though I still think the Indians will fade because they can't seem to beat the Twins and the Sux.