Thread: hello and goodbye

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins hello and goodbye

Twins promote Liriano from AAA, and cut Hernandez and Craig Monroe.

Link to story
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Re: hello and goodbye

About the frickin' time!

The Twins management team really need to work on their free agency signings or maybe there were no above average signees available.
    Twins All-Time Record since the day I exist
    3,955 total games (1964-1991), .496

MLB ERA

I don't know much about Ruiz but Liriano is ready to resume his career in Minnesota. I hope he doesn't have a bad taste in his mouth about being left in AAA this long.
    Nice trade, IMO.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Some stats on Ruiz from the Twins' site...

Ruiz batted .320 with 17 home runs and 68 RBIs in 111 games with Rochester this season. He is leading the International League in hits, is tied for the batting lead, and is second in doubles and extra-base hits (53).
    -Chris

MLB ERA

Randy Ruiz appears to be a right-handed version of Justin Morneau. A bit of a free-swinger, but enough pop in his bat to justify the Ks. Could be the DH they need against a tough lefty like Buehrle or Pettitte
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    I don't know much about Ruiz but Liriano is ready to resume his career in Minnesota. I hope he doesn't have a bad taste in his mouth about being left in AAA this long.
    Nice trade, IMO.
    Just read about Liriano in an article from Star Tribune. He said he was not too bothered about why he was staying in Rochester way too long. He simply understood why the Twins didn't pick him soon because they were winning games lately and just waiting patiently for an open spot.

Also, he had no comment on why his agent decided to file a grievance against the Twins.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Where did we get Ruiz from? Was he always with the Twins organization? I don't remember this guy. If this guy is as good as his AAA tell us, why was he not with the Twins to start the regular season?
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

Per the Twins media guide, Randy Ruiz was originally signed as a FA by the Reds in 1999 and released by them in 2003. He signed with the Baltimore organization in '03 and was released by them in '04. He signed with the Phillies organization and was released in 2005. Signed and released by the Royals in 2006, signed and released by the Yankees in 2006. In 2007, he spent time with the Pirates, Phillies, and Giants farm teams. The Twins signed him last fall for 1 year. This is his first major league experience.

MLB ERA

Right-handed version of Justin Morneau?

Reeeeealy?

MLB ERA

Size and minor league numbers. Justin had some good seasons in the minors and Ruiz did as well. He is not as smooth a fielder, nor is he as accomplished, but they are similar in body type.
    Not necessarily a prediction of stats, but if Ruiz' stats are similar to Justin's for the rest of the season, I'll be very happy.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Justin wasn't all that great of a fielder either, but he has developed as one of the better defensive first basemen in the league.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by henks View Post
    Justin wasn't all that great of a fielder either, but he has developed as one of the better defensive first basemen in the league.
    Yeah, I was a bit nervous when the Twins made him an everyday first baseman in 2004 when they traded away Mientkiewicz, the best defensive first baseman but at the same time, happy to see his struggling offense go. The team had a real good defense from the infielders that time.

Justin didn't cease to amaze me with his defense, an area he is not best known for at first.