Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trading Deadline

MLB ERA

Re: Trading Deadline

With the news about Casilla today -- no surgery indicated at this time, he will be evaluated again in a week, and Cuddyer coming back soon, I'm not really sure a deal was needed. Bill Smith said he'd rather make no deal than a "bad" one. I agree with that stance.
    It would have been nice to get another bat for a couple of expendible arms -- Bonser and Bass, with Bass more expendible, IMO, but we do not know the prices that were being asked for guys like Beltre, Roberts, etc.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

According to ESPN's Insider, the Mariners were asking for Slowey, Baker, Blackburn, Perkins or Span along with a minor leaguer or 2 for Beltre.
    Also, there was discussion between the Twins and Giants about Bonser for Aurilia. Smith did make some attempts to bring another bat into camp.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

I forgot about Cuddyer. It's like a quite while since I seen him playing. I agree with the Twins' sayings on Cuddyer's return/Liriano's future promotion would be like a trade at the deadline.

Great job by the office by not letting Baker/Perkins/Blackburn/Slowey go, they are very optimistic about their young pitchers. I'd be pissed if they traded one of them. A very good rotation will take place in a few years.
    Twins All-Time Record since the day I exist
    3,955 total games (1964-1991), .496

MLB ERA

Perkins will not be in the rotation in 2 years, as his spot will be taken by Swarzak, IMO. The Twins have 4 very good arms coming up and they will be ready in 3 years. Then, Baker could be the #3 starter.
    Tyler Robertson, Delois Guerra, and Jeff Manship should all arrive about the same time and Brian Duensing a year or so earlier. Those are the guys that the team could discuss in trade talks this winter for a "big bat".

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

check out mlbtraderumors.com thats a great site for rumors, trades and baseball team news.

Now to Beltre I would have gave up one young sp and Boonser to get a deal made. Smith just did not want to pull the trigger on a deal. I bet Polad said DONT add payroll.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that site occasionally.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

With the Twins farm system of talented pitchers, why did smith not package one with Boof and a hitting prospect to get Beltre? Boucher has done a good job at 3rd but a guy with Morneau like numbers would have only improved the club.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

I don't disagree with the thought, but I'm sure the Pohlads did not want to add payroll at this time. Maybe this off-season they can get a deal like this done. It would be interesting to see if Beltre could do what many others have not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12