Thread: Rincon Sent Down

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Twins Rincon Sent Down

Minnesota Twins reliever Juan Rincon was offered an outright assignment to Triple-A Rochester on Thursday, giving the struggling right-hander three days to accept or decline.

The Twins announced they'll recall third baseman Brian Buscher from Rochester in time for Friday's game at Milwaukee, when they'll play under NL rules and need more late-game flexibility. They've had 13 pitchers and only three bench players for the past week.

Rincon, the longest-tenured pitcher on the team, lost his touch last season after four straight years as a solid setup man. The 29-year-old has been totally unreliable this season, posting a 6.11 ERA in 28 innings. Making $2.475 million, Rincon (2-2) has allowed 33 hits, 16 walks and five homers.

"It is a difficult move, but we had to make it," general manager Bill Smith said in a brief phone interview. "This one's a little tougher for me. I've known Juan Rincon since we signed him as a 17-year-old down in Venezuela in 1996. He has always been a first-class guy to me and this organization. He's provided some very good years and some very good service to this club."
    Hopefully he accepts his assignment and gets the kinks out in AAA. He's been a Twin his whole career and not many teams would want him with the numbers he is putting up. We'll find out soon enough what he will do.

MLB ERA

Re: Rincon Sent Down

it's always good to hear a GM speak like that of a player he's known for a long time. Whatever happens to Rincon, I respect him for having that kind of reputation among management
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

He was nasty there for a while...not sure what happened this year. Hope he takes the assignment, works it all out and comes back with a vengance.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

I, too, hope he goes down, works out the difficulties, and comes back up later this year. He seems to be a decent guy, although he did get suspended for using banned substances a couple of years ago.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Steroids. Steroids.

That's my chant at Yankee Stadium.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Sounds like it's done.

Click me
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.