Thread: Liriano to start the season in the minors

MLB ERA

Liriano to start the season in the minors

Mlb.com story

Francisco Liriano will make at least two Minor League starts before joining the Twins' rotation, manager Ron Gardenhire announced Friday. The decision came moments after Liriano made his final spring start against the Pirates. He pitched five innings Pittsburgh, giving up one run on three hits. The left-hander threw around 74 pitches, striking out seven and walking two. His lone run allowed came on a solo home run to left field by third baseman Jose Bautista. It was Bautista's second homer of the spring and came on a full count.
    Liriano's command improved as his outing progressed. He looked a tad shaky in the first inning, which included a four-pitch walk to the second batter he faced. But after a 21-pitch second inning, Liriano didn't throw more than 13 pitches in each of his next three innings. During that time, he appeared as if he was starting to really lock in, as he threw most of his pitches for strikes.
    It was another step in Liriano's progress, but the club felt that a few additional starts will help the pitcher, who arrived late to camp due to visa troubles and is just 16 months removed from Tommy John ligament replacement surgery on his left elbow.
    The Twins optioned Liriano to Class A Fort Myers after the game, and he will get the start Thursday in the Miracle's season opener at Hammond Stadium. Liriano will then join Triple-A Rochester five days later for a start in Norfolk, Va. After that start, he's expected to rejoin the Twins.
    "Yes, he could probably go with us [now] and do as good as a lot of pitchers in this league," Gardenhire said. "But another start or two is the right thing. We'll get his pitch count up there close to 100 pitches in a couple starts, and we're going to do everything that's right for him."
    "After those two games, we'll see exactly [where he's at]. He should be up to 100 pitches and then we'll bring him with us."
    Liriano had not been informed of the decision when reporters talked to him after his start. But he said he was fine with whatever the team had planned for him.
    "I think I'm ready to start in Minnesota," Liriano said. "If they want me to start [in Fort Myers], I will start here. If they feel it's better for me, I don't mind starting here."
    Right-hander Nick Blackburn will take the final spot in the rotation, pitching Wednesday in the Twins' third game of the season.
    Interesting decision here. I like it. Gardenhire doesn't want to pull a Felix Hernandez or a Kerry Wood. Good idea to ease him in. He's young, and coming back from major surgery. Keep him on the slow track.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Re: Liriano to start the season in the minors

This isn't done enough. Too many young pitchers are rushed back from injuries like this, and I'm glad a pitcher as young and exciting to watch as Francisco Liriano will have the chance to pitch well for as long as possible.

MLB ERA

There is a great deal of difference between winning now and winning for years to come. To rush the kid back could be a good move for now, but it might damage the future.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Gardenhire is a fool. Liriano is healthy and more than ready to start the season with the big league club. Now it looks like he could make two or three starts in the minors. To me a bad move. How is pitching to a ball players going to help when you soon will be pitching to mlb caliber talent!?? Honestly I think having him in the pen would have been the better move. But it gave the kid Blackburn a chance which I like a alot.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I first saw this thread title and it said "Liriano to start the season" and was like no way! Then I clicked on it and it said "in minors". Now that's more like it.

I think this is the right move. Rushing young pitchers, especially ones who are as delicate as Liriano, can only mean disaster (*cough cough* Harden *cough*). I know what you're saying mntwinsfan, but I honestly don't think that rushing Liriano will do you any good, especially since your team don't appear to be in contention this year.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

start him off in the pen. with the younger guys still inexperienced, he would get a chance for some long relief roles, and that would give them a legitimate idea as to where he is. if he's not competitive, send him down. if he is, put him in the rotation.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

I wouldn't want to have him in the cold weather right now. He needs hot, humid air to complete his rehab. He should be OK in a couple of starts -- without the pressure that pitching at the major-league level brings.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon