Thread: Nathan, Twins Close To Deal

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Twins Nathan, Twins Close To Deal

The Twins and Joe Nathan's agent have spent most of the day talking, and the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports there are indications that a deal could be close.
    According to the report, Nathan moments ago expressed renewed optimism that a deal could get done soon. He wouldn’t divulge contract details but indicated that the ice has been broken in a stalemate that could have led to him being traded during the regular season. We don't think it's in the Twins' best interests to lock up a closer starting with his age-34 season, especially since the cost figures to be over $10 million per year, but at least Nathan doesn't have as much mileage on his arm as most relievers his age.
    This has to be encouraging news for the Twins. Nathan is a top five closer and the nest pitcher the Twins have now. A four year deal is about as far as I would go given his age.

MLB ERA

Re: Nathan, Twins Close To Deal

I would welcome a deal of this nature and hope that guys like Neshek would be satisfied to set up this guy for a few years.
    This would solidify the bullpen for the Twins.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    This has to be encouraging news for the Twins. Nathan is a top five closer and the nest pitcher the Twins have now. A four year deal is about as far as I would go given his age.

Pure genius

A source told ESPN's Buster Olney that the Twins and Joe Nathan have all but finalized a four-year deal worth $11 million-$12 million per season.
    It might be worth it for a large-market team. For the Twins to spend 15 percent of their budget on guy pitching five percent of the team's innings is simply a ridiculous move. They should have traded and used the money to help upgrade two or three more important spots.
    It does make sense for them to trade Nathan but he is one of the best closers in the game and a fan favorite. It sends a message to the fans that they will spend money, just not $20 million on one pitcher.

MLB ERA

I like the reported deal. It locks up an elite closer for 4 years. That, on top of signing Morneau and Cuddyer (along with the previous deal with Mauer) gives the team a nice nucleus to work with and build around. Liriano is possibly as good as Santana and could be locked up for a while, depending on how he does this season.
    I'm happy with the way the team is moving, but it would have been nice to see Johan starting for the Twins in the new ballpark. I think he might have given his chances for a WS away.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Nathan signing is fine by me. Could the signing be a possible trade piece? Yankees will need a closer, and Mariano won't last much longer. I guess my thinking is we will trade Nathan for other pieces we need.

Neshek is our closer of the future I believe. Either way this was a good move on the Twins part to lock up Nathan for less than 12 million a year. Better off to sign him than lose him to free agency.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A trade is a possibility after the third year maybe. Yankees have Joba to take over as closer.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Joba I thought is going to be a starter in the rotation?
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I simply don't see that happening with the state of their bullpen.

MLB ERA

Joba will be the closer of the future for the Yankees unless he thrives as a starter. In which case I could see a trade for Nathan, but not for Joba
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Nathan, Twins Close To Deal

JACKPOT!! It's like money in the bank now.....literally and figuratively speaking.

Twins extend Joe Nathan's contract through 2011
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Nathan, Twins Close To Deal

Congrats to Joe Nathan and the Twins' fans. Good to see someone staying there for the fans!!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    -Chris

MLB ERA

I'm happy with this deal. Nathan has been one of the more reliable closers in the game for several years and he should be able to keep it up for longer than the contract runs. Hopefully, the next extension will take him out until he retires.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I read somewhere that he is tied with Mariano Rivera for the most saves (160) in the last 4 years, so it's definately a good investment for the Twins.
    -Chris

MLB ERA

Glad they finally got this done, especially after the other seemingly stupid moves (or non-moves in some cases) that they made this offseason.