Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twins Made Santana An Offer

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Twins Made Santana An Offer

Peter Gammons is reporting that the Twins will want Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera and Austin Jackson in a package for Johan Santana.
    That's not such a ridiculous demand. The Yankees have to know they're not getting Santana without giving up one of their three young studs, and the Twins likely will demand Hughes over Ian Kennday. Cabrera isn't the young offensive star the Twins would like, but he will be a solid regular for five years. Jackson improved tremendously in the second half of last season and has the tools to keep it up, but he's still only played like a top prospect for three months. It's still a high price to pay, but it's doubtful Santana can be had for much less.
    This might help answer you question.

MLB ERA

If the Twins were to improve their offer to one similar to Zito's deal, would Johan sign it? It is less money per season than the one he turned down, but longer term.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If the Twins went to 5 yrs/$100 mil, I think Santana would be a fool not to sign it.

MLB ERA

I don't disagree, but I think he likes the idea of a 7 year deal. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Twins make an offer like you suggested. Maybe you should suggest it to them? They don't seem to answer my calls.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

But c'mon guys, how do you expect the pohlads to pay these players AND feed their families!?

MLB ERA

They must have taught Spreewell a thing or 2 about contracts.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If Santana plays it right, he'll force the Twins to trade him to a contending team and then he'll refuse any contract talks with that team and then after the season as a free agent he'll milk some team for all they have.

MLB ERA

That sounds about right.

MLB ERA

That sounds pretty good to me. The Twins will get maximum compensation for his services and the other team will be forced to "pony-up" if they want to keep him.

MLB ERA

So everyone... how do we all feel about Twins ownershit and management after seeing how they are now actively trying to trade Santana now (rather than later).

Letting Torii go, I can deal with. Trading Santana may very well put me on a ban of watching the Twins or going to another Twins game for a very long time.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

12:15 p.m., from Peter Gammons
    • Don't expect to see a Twins-Red Sox or Twins-Yankees whopper. The sense is now that Minnesota will hold onto Johan Santana.
    There you go guys, safe for now!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Twins Made Santana An Offer

yeah!!!
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

From what I've read in the Minneapolis media, the Twins are interested in spending whatever it takes to keep Johan in town, if these deals fall through. They are not likely to deal him at the deadline, as he has announced that he is not going to waive his "no-trade" clause during the season.
    If Johan is still a Twin after the winter meetings, I expect the team to do all they can to keep him in the Twins uniform for the longer term.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12