Thread: 5/15/05: Rangers/Twins Review

AA ERA

5/15/05: Rangers/Twins Review

Big win for the Twins today. A win that the Twins really needed today in what was a lousy week to watch. This week has been horrible to watch as the last three losses has been lousy like on Wednesday where they fell flat or Friday where they blew a 6-2 lead or yesterday where they just looked clueless against old friend, Kenny Rogers. Had they lost this game, the Twins would be in tailspin. I am glad they won or I would be real ticked off.

It was nice to see the Twins show some spunk after Texas tied it at 2 in the sixth. A great example of spunk was Shannon hitting that HR in the Twins sixth inning. Shannon's three-run HR was what the doctor ordered. Boy did that team needed that after Texas tied it in the sixth inning. This was huge. A big break too considering that ball was fishing to the foul territory, but it was good enough to hit the foul pole at the LF of the Dome. God knows what would have happened had he not homered or if the ball did not hit fair. Probably another frustrating loss.

It was nice to see Michael Cuddyer be productive today. 3 hits for him. The trick is for him to be consistent which he hasn't been.

Nick Punto had a great game too.

Brad was fantastic today on the mound. He was at the top of his game. That is always great to see. He has been solid all year.

It was nice to see Juan pitch a very good eighth as he made his second appearance since being suspended for steroids. He did a very good job. I was so proud of him after what he went through personal hell which he brought it upon himself.

Nathanator made quick work of the Rangers. What a year he has had.

This was an important game. Twins needed this one. To be only 5 games out is something. Twins should be 11 games out so let's be thankful. With that said, they gotta start winning series and start being consistent. They had not had a good month and they are getting past the first quarter mark where they are about to complete 41 games. Twins need to start winning to get a good mark and be there in the contender list. They have to get it together and I think it's important to sweep the Blue Jays at the Dome this week.

Obviously, it stinks losing two of three to anyone, but I guess the good news is that Taylor, a huge critic of the Texas Rangers, can be happy this weekend instead of ranting and raving.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    This was an important game. Twins needed this one. To be only 5 games out is something. Twins should be 11 games out so let's be thankful.
    I wonder where they would be right now had Rincon not been a dumbass and gotten suspended for cheating. They went 5-4 while he was out. Far from special.

I see Radke gave up his early game HR (per normal). Only he waited until the 3rd rather than the obligatory 2-run shot in the first or second.

Other than that, looks like he pitched pretty well.

AA ERA
    Lynch: Good point. Twins could have used Juan for that game Wednesday afternoon at Baltimore when the relievers seemed little overworked. As for Friday night, he clearly was rusty due to x amount of games that he missed and it showed. Still it was good to see him out there in his first game back. The sooner he got to pitch, the better for him and the Twins.

I thought the Twins survived with him being absent. It could have been far worse though. They did okay.

You have been really hard on Brad this year, Lynch.

MLB ERA
    I've been hard on Brad for about 4 years. I have really really grown weary of the obligatory home run or three that he serves up just about every single game over the past 3-4 years (or longer). It's one thing if he comes out stiff and gives up a few hits in the first few innings. No, he has to server up a goddamn meatball every single outting. Sometimes 2 or 3 so that the other team doesn't feel bad.

AA ERA
    Yeah, but this year, you really have gotten on Brad's case a lot.

I get on Brad myself. I ripped him in 2001 and 2002 for not stepping up big games especially against the Indians who he has always have trouble with. Ever since he came up big in the playoffs in 2002 and 2003, I have scale down my criticism on him. He had a great year last year. The only time I was dissapointed in him last year was his performance in Game 2 of the ALDS in which he stunk. Lot of people want to focus on Joe Nathan's blown save or Gardenhire's ridiculous decision to use Nathan when he was tired in the 14th inning, but Brad got a free ride from the press and the fans. He stunk in that game and he should get lot of blame for why the Twins lost Game 2. He just did not seem ready to throw in that game last year. I blame Brad big time for why the Twins lost that series IMO.

As for the home runs, he always gave up home runs a lot especially this year at a high rate.