Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tommy John surgery for Liriano?

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Tommy John surgery for Liriano?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060913/...thletics_twins

which would mean he'd not only miss the rest of this year, but most likely all of next year as well. Not looking good.

Ouch.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

You hope this is not a career-ending injury. I can't help but start worrying. As for what happened, it's unfortunate it happend, but I am glad it was now than two weeks from now. I rather have him rested now.

MLB ERA
    No surgery necessary for Liriano. The MRI showed no new injuries to the elbow and no structural damage. Just another strain. He'll be fine with a bit of rest.
    Suggestion -- as one who just went through ACL surgery (similar to Tommy John surgery). Work on strengthing the shoulder and upper arm. That will keep the ligaments and tendons tight and not allow them to move around.
    Also, try not to throw as many sliders, even though his slider is his strike-out pitch in the majors. He has said that his change-up was his best pitch in the minors, and its good enough to get hitters out.
    Maybe if he would develop a splitter?
    Seriously, I think he'll be fine next spring and will be ready to go.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The one thing I was worried about once hearing of Liriano's injury (other than how serious it was), was if the Twins would rush him back for the playoffs, essentially sacrificing the future for the present. It was a bit of a different situation, but we all saw how that played out with Wood. Luckily that doesn't seem to be the case though because the Twins need that killer 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation.

Even if the Twins make the make the '06 playoffs, they won't rush Liriano back.

"We're not going to take any chances," Ryan said. "He's pretty good. We're going to fix this and get him ready for his future. ... We're in a good spot. He helped us get here. Let's not be short-sighted. We want to get him right for '07 and throw 200 innings [next season] rather than have him ready for a playoff game."

MLB ERA
    I would hope that the Twins' management would be smarter than that. Nothing is as important, right now, as Francisco Liriano's future with the Twins. If things go right, the team will be back in the playoff hunt again next season and he'll be part of that rotation.

MLB ERA
    If Liriano is healthy for all of next season, and Boof and Garza can turn into the pitchers we expect them to... the Twins have the most dangerous Starting pitching in all of MLB next year, of course led by Johan Cy-Antana

MLB ERA
    Have to agree with that. Gardy has said that he won't hesitate to use Santana and Liriano on consecutive days.
    I see the Twins rotation in 2007 as:
    1. Santana
    2. Silva
    3. Liriano
    4. Bonser
    5. Garza/Baker -- especially if he pitches the way he did today.
    The Twins could lead the majors in ERA with that rotation, but they won't have to worry about "over-using" these guys. They still have the best bullpen in the bigs to work with.

MLB ERA
    I think they need to start evaluating Baker as a bullpen guy. He had a lot of promise coming into the bigs, but he has rarely delivered. Perhaps some relief work might be more up his alley for a while.

Silva... I'm not sure if he'll be a Twin next year. If he is, I'd be surprised.

MLB ERA
    If not Silva, whom? Is Slowey ready for "prime-time"? I could see Guerrier in the rotation if Perkins is able to make the team as the long man. It might be nice to have another lefty in the pen.
    Maybe Durbin starting?

MLB ERA
    I'm not sure. Far be it from me to expect the Twins to pick up a FA pitcher in the offseason , but I can still hope. Obviously this is all assuming that Radke really does retire, which after this injury, I believe he will.

I just get the feeling that Silva may have really screwed up this year, both in his play as well as that tummy-ache incident. Just guessing.

I don't think Guerrier is ready to come back fulltime yet and I don't have any feel on Slowey at all.

*shrug*

MLB ERA
    What pitchers will be available this off-season?
    I understand the Bensons will be available from Baltimore and I'm sure that Mrs will love the Twin Cities. They could be had for a couple of minor league pitchers, I'm sure. They have said they want to go to a "winner" and the Twins fill that bill nicely.
    To get back to Liriano, I would say that he needs to work on his upper arm strength to keep the ligaments and tendons tight. His problems allegedly started because of a "weak" shoulder.

MLB ERA
    I just remembered that Ted Lilly will be a FA this off-season. No way he goes back to the Jays after the circus that he saw around him there this season. His salary is "only" $4M this season. If the Twins were to make him a decent offer, say, $22M/3 years maybe he'd bite.
    Lilly could be a decent guy to put between Santana and Liriano although he's another lefty. His style is quite different than Santana and Liriano.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    I wouldn't mind seeing him in Twins pinstripes next year.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Is Lilly really worth that much? I just get the impression that $22M/3 YRS. would be over spending, especially for a team like the Twins... Just asking. Please inform me on Lilly's worth and the Twins spending... I am curious on both topics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast