Thread: 5/1/05: Angels/Twins Review

AA ERA

5/1/05: Angels/Twins Review

So much for the Twins sweeping the Angels. I thought with Johan out there that it would happen, but that was not the case as they lost 2-1 to the Angels. This loss meant that Johan's 17-game winning streak is over.

I thought Johan pitched a very good game today. Unfortunately, he gave up two HRs and that was it for the Twins. I will live with the solo HRs today though I thought Guerrero's HR was actually a foul ball. It hit the foul territory IMO. Oh well. That's just the way it goes sometimes. Johan did the best he could today and he did a darn good job. In this situation, we ought to tip our hats to Colon instead of focusing on Johan giving up two home runs.
    The Twins ran into a very good pitching peformance by Bartolo Colon this afternoon. We ought to tip our hat to Colon. He was just super. He was throwing strikes and working fast out there. He did it all. How good was Colon? Colon was Justin Morneau's kryptonite. Morneau has been hitting well since coming back from an injury, but today he was no match for Colon. Just a great pitching peformance by both Colon and Johan.

I did had to lament about the bases loaded in the eighth inning. Twins had a chance to tie this game, but they grounded into a double play as usual. It seems the Twins have grounded into DPs way too much this season. They have to lead the majors. You gotta give Mike Scioscia credit with going with K-Rod in the eighth. That was a good move. K-Rod closed today as he had to get 5 outs (two in the eighth and three in the ninth). That worked out lot of charm. Twins can never hit off K-Rod (Francisco Rodriguez) going back to the ALCS in 2002 where he made his name, then again lot of teams can't hit him.

It's sad to see Johan's amazing run of wins come to an end, but it was a great ride. Let's hope he can perform another amazing run and I know he will.

Good job by the Twins and good week overall. Our offense is starting to hit a little sans today's game. It was good to take a series against a team who has dominated the Twins in the Angels.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    That is why Steak I believe we need a big tim bench guy, wh can hit the ball. WHat we have now is just to predictable! Double play. Or strikeout. I don't understand you steak u are not worried avout Cuddyer? I agree with the rest of the players we talked about.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AA ERA
    I thought it was very interesting that Gardenhire decided to use the Teamster (Lecroy) as his first option of pinch-hitter instead of Nick Punto. My god how stupid was that. Lecroy is Lecrap. If anyone thought he was going to get a hit off K-Rod, he or she was delusional. You could not have like Lecroy's chances here. I like Nick's chances a little better.

I am very suprised at this decision-making by Gardy. Nick Punto has to be the first option off the bench since he is the team's best pinch-hitter not Matthew Lecroy.

Another thing Gardy was talking about how he is wishing for another hitter. Gee whiz. Had he not been that obessed of having four catchers, maybe we could have gotten Terry Tiffee on the roster.

I like Gardy personally and he has done a good job, but his decision-making is so hideous at times and yesterday was no different.