Thread: 4/29/05: Angels/Twins

AA ERA

4/29/05: Angels/Twins

Twins return home for six games after a adventrous road trip from Detroit to KC. It's good to finish the road trip with a winning record at least.

This weekend brings a big challenge as the Angels come to town. Twins have yet to beat a very good team so it's a good opportunity to get a shot at them. They are due to beat those guys. Angels has had our number forever. It's time to turn the tide this year. I am sick of those tough losses against them going back to the ALCS. I hope this is the year everything changes and I hope this is the year that Adam Kennedy stops hitting well against the Twins.

Angels are a great team, but I wonder if they have what it takes to win it all. Their pitching is such an enigma. Their pitching will either take them to a WS championship or first-round exit like you saw last year against Boston. Angels pitchers are hit or miss. They are either very good or very bad. You just don't know what to get out of them. In the Angels taking the series out of NY, their starting pitchers in Washburn and Lackey was fantastic. That's what they need to get from their starting pitching. I just hope it's not this weekend.

As for the Angels name change, I think it's pretty stupid and lame. This bothers me to no end that they are called LA Angels even though they play in Orange County which is far away from LA. Most LA fans follow the Dodgers not Angels. It pisses me off that the Angels are supported by the people in Anaheim yet want to call themselves as LA. That's as stupid as Giants and Jets calling themselves NY even though they play in East Rutherford, NJ. That bothers me to no end hence why I hate the Giants and Jets.

Twins got their best three pitchers this weekend and it starts with Carlos Silva on the bump tonight. Let's hope Carlos does not throw that ball in the stands like he did last year against the Angels after he survived that outing through DPs against them at the Dome last year.

Let's also hope we don't make Byrd look like Randy Johnson out there.

Byrd vs. Silva

Whata great play by Punto. Davannon should of been out I think. I seen that and jumped and was just shocked what a play.

AA ERA
    That throw was nowhere near close, but still that was a great catch though. That throw was way low.

I hope you were jumping when Lew got the big hit to tie the game and when Michael finally getting a hit to give the Twins a 5-4 lead.

Good game tonight so far.

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    What's going on with this game? I got booted again earlier out of chat and when I FINALLY got back, everyone was gone.....
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

AA ERA
    Bryd got hit in the sixth inning hard as couple of players got hits and then Lew drove Justin home to tie the game and Michael drove Lew home for the lead.

Twins got some hits in and there too.

Twins lead 5-4 in the bottom of the eighth.

AA ERA
    What a game and what a win! I am glad the Twins battled back and found a way to tie it and win as they beat the Angels 5-4 this evening in Minneapolis. It's good to see that resillency again.

I thought this game was over in the fourth inning and in the fifth inning, but fortunately for the Twins, the Angels grounded themselves into a DP with runners in the corners in the fourth and the bases loaded in the fifth. That was the turning point of the game because had they got the big hit in either of those innings, this game was over. I never thought the Angels offense would do that and I never thought Steve Finley, who is such a tough out, would ground into a DP. That Finley DP really was the key as it set the table for the Twins comeback.

I am glad the Twins were able to get some hits off Byrd throughout the game even when the Angels were leading. Nick Punto made it happen by running his way to first as he beat the infielder's throw and then he stole second and ran to third and scored on Shannon's groundout to cut it to 4-3. Then the damage came in the sixth with Justin's double and he advanced to third after Torii's flyout. Then Lew came through with a big hit to tie the game. I tell ya. Lew has been fantastic this month and it's good to see him coming up with big with runners in scoring position. He has been very consistent in driving runners home. I am glad Angels manager Mike Scioscia decided to walk Jacque to go to Lew. I would have my take my chances with Jacques since he is a hit or miss. He can strike out or ground into DP easily despite his hot hitting. Then, Michael Cuddyer delievered with a huge double to give the good guys the lead.

How about Michael BTW? After struggling in first two at-bats in which I started to express frustration, he comes through to break the tie and then got a huge double to give the Twins an additional couple of runs. Michael has had a rough month and a rough start to the year. I hope this last two at-bats can get him going.

Justin was very good. Man I am glad to see him back. 3 hits tonight. He is unreal. You know an example of mark of a good player in which you expect a player to do something. Well Justin is that guy. That guy can flat-out swing and get a hit. He is going to be tough out for any pitcher. It's so good to see him playing.

It was really good to see the offense break out against Angels pitching. Our hitters has made Angels pitching look like Cy Youngs going back to the 2002 ALCS. It was good to see them beat Byrd out there and then their reliever, Esteban Yan.

Carlos struggled in the first few innings of that game. In fact, I did not think he had it and had Finley got that big base hit, he was going to be relieved by Terry Mullholland. Fortunately, Carlos got the DP and then he found a way to pitch well in the sixth and seventh. Carlos was okay overall. I am just glad he settled down and gave the Twins innings. It was good to see him come up big in the sixth and seventh.

I was very flabbergasted when Gardy had J.C. pitching in the eighth. First off, I get very cranky when that knucklehead is on the mound. I am not a big fan of J.C.'s to begin with. Second, isn't Juan supposed to pitch in the eighth. That was interesting. Fortuantely, J.C. got it done. I swear watching J.C. pitch is an adventure.

Nathanator made a quick work of the Halos.

Some great webgems tonight. How about that catch by Torii? How about that catch by Nick Punto? Yeah he did not get that runner out thanks to a low throw, but still he made a great catch to rob a extra-base hit.

With the Whiney Sux losing, Twins are now 1 game back. I thank my good friend DK for putting a curse on the White Sox board about how the Twins fans are scared of She-ca-go.

Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    That throw was nowhere near close, but still that was a great catch though. That throw was way low.
    Well Bert and everyone said that it looked like he was out when they showed the replay.