Thread: Twins able to back out of Metrodome lease

MLB ERA

Twins Twins able to back out of Metrodome lease

Source

April 3, 2006

ST. PAUL (AP) - Before even taking the field for the 2006 season, the Minnesota Twins claimed their first victory Monday as a state Senate committee backed a team plan for an open-air ballpark.

On a voice vote, the Senate State and Local Government Committee approved the bill giving Hennepin County permission to raise its sales tax to build the stadium in downtown Minneapolis. The bill, which has more committees yet to clear, lifts a state requirement that the local tax hike be approved by voters.

"It's time for us to step up to the plate," implored Sen. Dick Day, R-Owatonna. "The Minnesota Twins have been here a long, long time trying to do things the right way."

A new backdrop shades the annual battle, which has played out at the state Capitol since the mid-1990s:

• A judge ruled in February that the Twins can abandon the Metrodome after the 2006 season, although the chances of a near-term exit are considered remote.
    • The $478 million price tag tossed around last year has climbed again, by an estimated $30 million. Neither the team nor the county has outlined a specific plan for covering the added cost.
    • Every state office, from the 201-member Legislature on up to the governor's office, is on the ballot, which could cause skittishness among incumbents when the stadium votes come.

The House Taxes Committee, a tough test for past stadium proposals, plans to examine the bill next Monday.

Rep. Brad Finstad, the House sponsor of the Twins' plan, believes the proposal has enough votes to pass if the bill makes it through committees unscathed. But he's offering no guarantees.

"The thing is you can count the legislators today, and tomorrow that count might be different," Finstad said. "Every day we get a step closer to elections some of my colleagues are more and more afraid of their shadows."

Finstad, R-New Ulm, discounts the political risk of voting for a stadium plan. "I don't think you win or lose an election on one stadium vote," he said.

Supporters say there's evidence the public tide has shifted in their favor. They point to state Sen. Terri Bonoff's win in a November special election.

Bonoff, a Democrat from Minnetonka, won in a Republican-leaning district. Bonoff came out in favor of the current stadium plan; her challenger opposed it.

Hennepin County Commissioner Mike Opat, an architect of the plan, said the Legislature seems to be tired of debating the issue and rank-and-file members are ready to vote.

"The issue here is political will," he said. "The question is whether or not the governor and the Legislature are really serious about solving this."

Opat said the $30 million funding gap isn't a deal killer. Broadly, he said the Twins, the county and others would probably end up splitting the cost. The current arrangement relies on a $125 million payment from franchise owner Carl Pohland and proceeds from a 0.15 percent sales tax increase in Hennepin County.

Meanwhile, the Twins might be in a stronger bargaining position than ever before. A Hennepin County judge sided with the team in February in a lawsuit over the Twins Metrodome lease.

The ruling said the team's lease expired in 2003, possibly leaving the Twins free to move. When baseball tried to fold the franchise in 2001, the lease stood in the way.

The Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, which runs the Dome, has until mid-May to appeal the decision. But commission attorney Corey Ayling said Monday there are no plans to do so.

Ayling said the commission believes Major League Baseball is obligated to keep a team in Minnesota and the Twins could trigger another year commitment by selling tickets or advertising for the 2007 season.
    "The future is very much up in the air," Ayling said.

James Hafner, a financial analyst from Coon Rapids, urged lawmakers to hold out until more private money is put in, citing a recently built St. Louis Cardinals stadium that involved a small amount of public money. Hafner warned the committee not to act out of fear the Twins will leave.

"As a Minnesotan, I know another stadium pitch is always around the corner," he said.

MLB ERA
    So, here's my biggest problem with this:

A judge ruled in February that the Twins can abandon the Metrodome after the 2006 season
    Since there obviously isn't a place for the Twins to go and play, other than the Metrodome, where the hell would they go? What isthe point in doing this, unless it's a known quantity (behind closed doors) that the MN Twins will be either going away (contraction) or moving away?

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    the state better find a way to build a stadium! I dont care if they share it with the Vikings. Just get a damn stadium built. Ziggy and Polad + state money or taxes will get a stadium built.

QUIT bull shitting around Minnesota and get this done!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    My point though, was this.... why did this judge allow them to exit the lease at the end of THIS season!? They have no other place to go, unless they are folding or moving.

Even if a stadium deal was in place for a new stadium, there's no way in hell it would be ready for opening day next year considering where they are at right now. It's just not even remotely possible. Even if they broke ground tomorrow, there wouldn't be a new stadium to open the 2007 season.

That's why I question the judge letting them out early. Doesn't anyone else smell the stink on this fishwrap?

Rookie ERA
    I just read about the new stadium bill passing through but now goes to the next level - but there seems to be more support for it now than ever before. The contributions to the community by the Twins organization is proving to be extremely helpful and a driving force for the new stadium.

Here's the info:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=min

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the bill gets more positive action in days to come!

MLB ERA
    It's good that we're forcing taxes down the throat of Minnesotans, because the Twins billionaire owner can't afford his own stadium.

Rookie ERA
    Increasing a little percent of taxes temporarily won't hurt them.

Rookie ERA
    I agree, it is a small percentage of the tax and Pohlad is actually putting up a large chunk of change. Maybe not large enough but it is more than ever before presented for a stadium.

Let's keep our fingers crossed it happens this time so we can have Kirby Puckett Park!

Rookie ERA
    If the loyal Twins fans really want the Twins to stay in Minnesota, they need to push the effort by getting themselves involved. They'd better stay loyal to the team, otherwise we won't have the baseball team in a few years from now. It's really up to Minnesotans.

MLB ERA
    Justifications like that are exactly what so many say when they want to take money THAT ISN'T THEIRS.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Polad is just a cheap old SOB! Damn get the state to pay the land bill and polad to pay for the stadium. He would have to pull the check book out of his ass and dust it off, the checkbook is so far up there it will take several people to pry it free.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    It's good that we're forcing taxes down the throat of Minnesotans, because the Twins billionaire owner can't afford his own stadium.
    Don't forget, he is the richest owner in all of baseball.

Yet for years it's been shoved down our throats that he can't afford to put a better team on the field... the metrodome won't make any money for him, er, I mean the team, etc etc blah blah ****ing blah.

Rookie ERA
    He always have the way to find excuses.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    My point though, was this.... why did this judge allow them to exit the lease at the end of THIS season!? They have no other place to go, unless they are folding or moving.

Even if a stadium deal was in place for a new stadium, there's no way in hell it would be ready for opening day next year considering where they are at right now. It's just not even remotely possible. Even if they broke ground tomorrow, there wouldn't be a new stadium to open the 2007 season.

That's why I question the judge letting them out early. Doesn't anyone else smell the stink on this fishwrap?
    it's likely similar to what the Vikings have (I think they have this deal, I know someone in some sport does), where they stay there on a year to year basis while waiting for a new stadium to get built.

or they're getting contracted, or moving. whatever.

MLB ERA
    Nah, the Vikes are locked in until 2010 at the dome. When McCombs tried to get out of it a couple years back, the NFL said "hell no, you won't go".