Thread: Steroids and the players involved

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Steroids and the players involved

Here's my analysis of this whole topic. Feel free to interject your thoughts.

Jason Giambi: Allegedly used steroids to gain approval from his perfectionist father. He is, by far, the player who has best recovered from having his name associated with steroids. He won the AL Comeback Player of the Year award last season. He regained sponsorship deals. To the average fan, it would seem that he has disassociated himself from the steroid stigma. One reason... he admitted using steroids.

Sammy Sosa: It seems obvious that he used some sort of performance enhancing drug. The past two seasons (where some sort of testing has been in place), his offensive production has dramatically decreased while his proneness to injury has increased to the point he has unofficially retired. However, his use of a corked bat has tainted him more than the speculation on whether or not he used steroids. I do not understand why, but he still is loved by a lot of fans.

Mark McGwire: He admitted using Andro while he was playing. Once he stopped using it, he broke down physically and retired. Now, he is a shell of his former self. He will forever be tainted and probably won't make it into the HOF due to his association with performance enhancers.

Gary Sheffield: Recent reports have him using the same stuff that Barry Bonds allegedly used. He is very associated with BALCO and steroids in general. His refusal to talk about the subject has led to even more talk about his use of performance enhancers. Whether or not he used them has yet to be proven, but as a casual observer, I say he did use something.

Barry Bonds: He can't stay out of his own way. He is constantly beligerant to the media whenever he is pressed about the subject. He constantly reminds us that he is a horse's a**, which is one of the reasons why he is taking so much heat over this issue. The other two reasons why he is taking it from everyone is 1) he's still playing and 2) he's close to running down one of the most revered records in the history of baseball. There is enough evidence, whether it is circumstantial or not, to conclude that he did use performance enhancers. As long as he keeps quiet about the subject, he will forever be guilty.

What does this all say to me? It says that if you keep quiet, you lose. If you do what Giambi did and come clean, you can move past the subject and get back in the fans' good graces. All Bonds and the others have to do is come clean.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    when did mcgwire, sosa, and shefield say they used steriods?

i didn't here anything that said "yes i used steriods"

and what are your recources? the fukin book written by 2 journalish based on crap? anyone can BS a book

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83
    When did McGwire, Sosa, and Sheffield say that they used steriods?

I didn't hear anyone that said, "Yes, I used steriods."

And what are your sources? The fucking book, which was written by 2 journalists based on crap? Anyone can BS a book!
    Are you really that deep in denial? Or is this just a stunt to rev up the conversation?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83
    when did mcgwire, sosa, and shefield say they used steriods?

i didn't here anything that said "yes i used steriods"

and what are your recources? the fukin book written by 2 journalish based on crap? anyone can BS a book
    McGwire admitted using Andro when he played. I never said Sosa or Sheffield admitted to anything, thats the problem with them.

And, for the love of God, learn to spell!
    rf28

MLB ERA
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2031331

Heres how you deal with people when you hear your name being bandied about with steroids. You dont threaten, you dont call them a bunch of theives for trying to make money at your expense, you dont forget how to speak English, you dont say "Im not here to talk about the past", you dont try and pass it off on a teammate. You go right after them and you kill any doubt and sue them for liable, if they arent sure they will back down.

Anyone notice the differences?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Slyder, that's what I find so hilarious about this story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2381381). Bonds is suing the two guys who wrote the book, but not for libel or defamation of character. Nope, instead Bonds is suing them SO THAT THEY CAN'T MAKE ANY PROFIT FROM THE BOOK. Haha. That's what he's suing them for. Not because of his steroid usage, nooooo...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, that's funny. He's not suing because the book is wrong or anything, he's suing because he doesn't want anyone to profit over the truth.
    rf28

Oh another "steroids" thread. Brilliant.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    Slyder, that's what I find so hilarious about this story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2381381). Bonds is suing the two guys who wrote the book, but not for libel or defamation of character. Nope, instead Bonds is suing them SO THAT THEY CAN'T MAKE ANY PROFIT FROM THE BOOK. Haha. That's what he's suing them for. Not because of his steroid usage, nooooo...
    That's not why he is suing them just so they can't make money. That's not illiegal but neither is what he is actually suing them for which is using illegally obtained (and forged) documents. Neither McGwire, Sosa, Giambi or Bonds have actually come clean. Giambi apologized for about 30 minutes but never said why even though we all know why. He still refuses to comment on the BALCO case. The only reason welet Giambi pass is because he did well last year and won Comeback Player of the Year.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    That's not why he is suing them just so they can't make money. That's not illiegal but neither is what he is actually suing them for which is using illegally obtained (and forged) documents. Neither McGwire, Sosa, Giambi or Bonds have actually come clean. Giambi apologized for about 30 minutes but never said why even though we all know why. He still refuses to comment on the BALCO case. The only reason welet Giambi pass is because he did well last year and won Comeback Player of the Year.
    Bonds' laywer would have to prove the info was illegally obtained.And the judge even said that case probally won't see the light of day.

If the stuff was leaked,it was legally obtained.

I bet if Bonds would just admit to what we all already knew,that he used steroids and other perfomance enhancing drugs,just maybe a majority of people wouldn't have a huge problem with him possibly passing Ruth and breaking Aarons' record.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

MLB ERA
    This is a CYA move to look innocent. Lawsuits similar to this that actually involve illegal actiity rarely go anywhere.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronk48

I bet if Bonds would just admit to what we all already knew,that he used steroids and other perfomance enhancing drugs,just maybe a majority of people wouldn't have a huge problem with him possibly passing Ruth and breaking Aarons' record.
    It wouldn't matter one bit and I have about 45 other memebers on this site who would agree.