Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speak or get benched,Barry

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Speak or get benched,Barry

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Faced with the most damning, deeply sourced, comprehensive and chilling charges against Barry Bonds yet, courtesy of a new book by the San Francisco Chronicle reporters who have been on him from the start, decision day is here for Bonds, for baseball and for the San Francisco Giants.

In the crushing new investigative book "Game of Shadows" (an excerpt appears in the March 13 issue of Sports Illustrated), authors Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams use extensive interviews, grand jury testimony, secret documents and mountains of evidence to show in painstaking detail, not just that Bonds used performance-enhancing drugs to become the most fearsome slugger of all time, but how, when and what he used on a day-in, day-out basis.

BALCO Barry may never stand trial in a court of law, but right here, right now, on the eve of the historic season that could see him become the all-time home run king, the court of public opinion is in its closing arguments and he is way, way behind.

The book should either forever cement Bonds' legacy as that of a cheat of the highest order or allow the ballplayer to sue the books' publisher so ferociously for libel that he'll own half of San Francisco.

There isn't any middle ground. There isn't any room for debate or for situational ethics. There isn't any more time to put off making serious decisions about Bonds' future.

ADVERTISEMENT

If Barry's reaction is to ignore, to pout, to try to clown it up in a pathetic, public relations-fueled drag act – his hair and boobs as fake as his career stats – then no longer can anyone sit by and idly watch.

That would start with the Giants, Bonds' employer and enabler which has profited even more handsomely than the slugger himself at this fraud show, this freak act. The Giants don't have the contractual right to cut Bonds loose, but that doesn't prevent them from finally doing what's right.

If Bonds isn't defending himself in a serious manner, then the Giants should bench him forever. Yeah, sit him and let the old drug cheat waste away, never getting a chance to take a final shot at Babe Ruth and Henry Aaron, never again letting the village idiot Giants fans applaud him as some hero.

Anything else is a slap in the face of baseball, of history, of San Francisco, of Aaron, of consumers who demand real athletes and not a chemical creation who hits every third pitch into the San Francisco Bay.

It's not like Bonds is owed anything. The juice made him rich and infamous. No one is asking back the money, no one is going to send him off to prison. There will always be ever-apologetic ESPN willing to cleanse his image with some silly reality show.

But for the Giants to keep pretending and keep profiting is just as despicable as Bonds, as the book alleges, popping 20 pills a day and shooting himself up with drugs.

Understand that Bonds is no one's victim, no one's good guy. Don't let the Paula Abdul act that got all the clowns on the 11 o'clock news chortling fool you.

This is someone who sat next to his own godfather – the classy, beloved Willie Mays – on the day he tied the Giants' all-time greatest player on the home run list and acted like they were equals. He knowingly smiled and let Willie make a fool of himself by defending BALCO Barry and providing political cover.

It takes a special kind of person to do that to his own godfather.

It takes a special kind of person to keep doing this to everyone.

The early excerpts from "Game of Shadows," set for release March 27, are stunning. It is not that the book reveals that Bonds used performance-enhancing drugs to become the most incredible home run hitter of all time. Only the most naive among us didn't already know that, Giants officials included.

It is the details that are too deep and precise for Bonds to ignore. It is also the revelation that Bonds, in 1998, watched the circus performances of Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and all the other highly suspicious stars of the steroid era and felt the need to keep up. So he turned to drugs.

Which is why "Game of Shadows" shouldn't just put the final nail in Bonds' coffin. It should convince Hall of Fame voters to turn a cold, callous shoulder on the entire era, keeping all of these puffed-out sluggers out of Cooperstown forever.

It should motivate Bud Selig to wipe the record book clean of that time frame, even reinstating Roger Maris' 61 home runs as the single-season record. Because baseball relies on having its lore passed down through the generations, and there is no way you'll ever be able to explain all of this to your children or your grandchildren.

But mostly this should make life perfectly miserable for BALCO Barry, who should be treated with scorn by anyone who cares about the game.

Presumably that starts with the Giants' organization itself, which if it has any courage, any ethics, any sense of right and wrong, would shut this charade down forever and stop stealing money off this sad, sad excuse of an athlete.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

So, because Barry Bonds won't address the claims of a book, his employer should bench (by far) their most profitable and best commodity and waste any of his worth, while still giving him money. Oh, and then they believe two reporters (however right they may or may not be) over their best player since Willie Mays, one who has been pretty loyal to the team at that.

Not shockingly, this guy is a moron who wants to reinstate Maris' record and wipe the record books of an era whose players were 93% clean at the preliminary steroid tests. Fool.

There will never be a game where players who don't try to get the upperhand exist. Legally or not.

Question for MLB History Buffs: Did Maris receive any cheating speculation when his HRs jumped by 23 in one year and then dropped back down again?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    he doesnt need to respond to a book. cheating has been going on in all sports since the dawn of time. it is what it is.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500
    it is what it is.
    Is anyone else sick of hearing this phrase in relation to sports? Not picking on you rockin, I just am tired of hearing this.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dam8610
    Is anyone else sick of hearing this phrase in relation to sports? Not picking on you rockin, I just am tired of hearing this.
    So am I.It's wrong,that's what it is.It's not fair,that's what it is.

Unfortunatly,there was no banned substances in baseball before last year,so technically what Bonds did is immoral,illegal, and wrong,but not cheating.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

I believe the substances were illegal, just not tested for. It's kind of like saying that jaywalking is illegal, but we don't have police guards looking for it so it's not really offensive as a crime...of course, jaywalking is not as serious as roids, but yeah.

And abuse of steroids without a prescription is illegal IIRC.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

AA ERA
    The MLB had known about steroid use and other performance enhancing drugs in baseball for numerous years but they never really chose to strictly enforce until recently, why? Well, because the long ball sells tickets, which would also explain why they made the strike zone smaller. I am not saying baseball promoted using steroids or other illegal performance enhancing drugs but they knew it was going on. When the government decided to step in, Selig immediately got to work on hammering down on performance enhancing drugs.

I agree with alot of you guys, I don't agree with any legal substance being used by any player but I almost guarantee the MLB knew players were using it and had a inkling as to which players may have been, but they chose to do nothing about it until the goverment started cracking down on them. The MLB is beginning to see its problem that could have take action on years ago starting to come back and bite them in the face because for the most part they chose to turn their heads the other way because money talks.

Although we know that Mark McGwire used performance enhancing drugs that at that time weren't banned, he didn't deny if he had ever used steroids when sitting in front of congress. When Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were going for the HR record baseball wouldn't have dared questioned either of the players for using any type of steroids or performance enhancers because baseball needed a couple of heroes to save baseball after a dip in fan interest following the strike. Sosa and McGwire are labeled by some to be the saviors of baseball following the strike and I believe atleast one, if not both, were using some type of steroid. Ideally, the MLB is paying for its lack of action in the past and now big named players are having to be scolded for what the MLB already knew was going on several years ago.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronk48
    Unfortunatly,there was no banned substances in baseball before last year,so technically what Bonds did is immoral,illegal, and wrong,but not cheating.
    True however, if he used roids it is a Federal offense punishable by Federal standards......oh wait, that only applies to us regular folks.....sports stars are exempt from those Federal laws.....along with amphetimine use as well.....

Did anyone check out the roid discussion on the Keith Olbermann show tonight on MSNBC? Cansucko was interviewed yet again. He stated that an investigation needs to be done with owners and GM's........
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Bonds doesn't have to say shit unless its a FED in his face. Fisher is absolutely right and stole all of my thoughts. Stay out of my head I told ya.

AAA ERA

Giants But what if Bonds was a Cub?

Lets be serious! If Bonds was a Cub it would be move over Mr Banks there is a New Mr. Cub. The only people who are calling for Barry's head are people who do not have him on there team.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    When you say people, you are actually talking about everyone in America (including those from San Fran). Quit being an apologist for Bonds.
    rf28

AAA ERA

Giants

redsfan28....No I am speaking for people who think not those who hate!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Ok, if you think I hate, then you'd be correct. I hate people that feel the need to cheat to get ahead.
    rf28

Quote Originally Posted by Bear
    redsfan28... Try thinking, and get the facts! Better to be thought a fool then open mouth and remove all doubt!
    Bwahahahaha.

This is what happens when fans 'player hate' because they don't have a similar talent on their team to cheer for. JMO!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I have 2. Their names are Ken Griffey, Jr. and Adam Dunn. And they both are CLEAN!!!
    rf28

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast