Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can no longer justify to myself that I should watch the WBC.

MLB ERA

I can no longer justify to myself that I should watch the WBC.

Vladimir Guerrero, Aramis Ramirez, Barry Bonds, Billy Wagner, CC Sabathia, Mark Buehrle, Nomar Garciaparra, Joe Mauer, Tim Hudson, Jon Smoltz, Vladimir Guerrero, countless others. Those are just people who have withdrawn, and many of them are in the top five of their positions or are easily recognizable/marketable, etc. Is someone going to pull out mid-game? Mid-at-bat? At the rate people are withdrawing, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these teams can't even field an all-professional league roster. Al Leiter sure isn't a professional anymore, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Pitchers are on pitch counts. Pitchers aren't going to be giving it 100%, because they can't at this point, since their bodies aren't going to be ready early enough. This was supposed to be a match-up of "The best players for the best teams in the world." How can it be the best players if they aren't going to be able to pitch to their fullest extent? If pitchers are giving 80%, 85%, while only pitching 65 pitches (in the first round), what is there that exists in that which is equivalent to "best"?

And the biggest thing, for me, is that they announced... ties will be allowed. After 14 innings, if scoreless, the game will go down as a tie, and each team will get a half-win. This isn't the All-Star Game, so why are they treating it as such? I just don't get it.

I have lost my desire to watch this. Sure, it's "competitive" baseball in early March. About as competitive as spring training. Except with a much greater talent differential, many more players who aren't all that good or exciting to watch.

They chose the wrong timing for this, they are putting some awful rules and restrictions on it, and all the while they are marketing it as something they are not. This is not the best, and it probably never will be if they insist on making it in early March. I predict this will be the first, and only, year of the World Baseball Classic. And then maybe the MLB will realize why the Olympics removed baseball, when they see how many people weren't interested in it, and how many teams couldn't put together competitive rosters, and just how many people pull out. Go baseball; go past spring training, and the World Baseball Classic, and give me something competitive and exciting. This isn't going to be that.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Well then so be it, it's your choice. You can choose not to watch WBC games, that's fine. But your other options are to:

1) watch guys half-ass their way through spring training;
    2) watch American Idol.

It's a pretty easy decision.

Is it too late to call the whole thing off?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    Well then so be it, it's your choice. You can choose not to watch WBC games, that's fine. But your other options are to:

1) watch guys half-ass their way through spring training;
    2) watch American Idol.

It's a pretty easy decision.
    Yeah, it is. American Idol owns the shit out of the WBC.

And getting my requisite "I'm an asshole" comment of the day out of the way:
    3) Do something other than watch television.

Quote Originally Posted by General
    Is it too late to call the whole thing off?
    We got about 27~ hours to call it off.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    First off, it is just a dumb idea to me. I know they are trying to "globalize" baseball but I don't see baseball needing this. We have players from all walks of life and their fans are watching and keeping up where ever they are. It's terrible timing to do this in March and Steinbrenner is right, someone will get hurt. Now poeple can argue that you can just as easily get hurt in ST. That's right but at least they are playing for the team that pays them. I am glad all these big names are pulling out so MLB can be as exciting as it can be. I don't want to see Miguel Tejeda getting hurt so the O's can suck even worse. That's not good for anyone.
    Ken Rosenthal has suggested the worst idea of all. He suggests that they play these games at the All Star break. What a great idea to have your best players for your favorite team getting hurt for the final stretch and jeopardizing your playoff hopes. Good one Ken!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I love watching ST games because you get to see your young guys perform.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    I love watching ST games because you get to see your young guys perform.
    You mean perform themselves right to AAA.

You want to know why I'll watch it? Morbid curiosity. I want to see which big name or otherwise critical player will get hurt (my vote is Junior). Then I want to see the GM whose player got injured blast Bud "The Used Car Salesman" Selig for allowing this slop to get started.

Hey, maybe Clemens can dome Piazza and end both of their careers.
    rf28

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Who gives a shit where they go from there? At least you get to see your prospects in action. That right there is more exciting to me than seeing stacked rosters playing exhibition style baseball. I rather see young guys pitching their arms out to try and make a team or an impressiion.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Basically, what we've concluded in this discussion is that the WBC is baseball's version of the XFL. It's highly glorified and over-marketed, but the product on the field is shaky at best. People will tune in for the first few games out of curiosity, and after one season, it will fold and no one will ever speak of it again.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Spring training, along with the WBC, men's D-1 college basketball conference tournaments, and NFL preseason games, is useless. It just serves to get people hurt. If you want to hold team workouts until the season starts, then so be it. Why should we see guys that won't even be on the team come opening day.
    rf28

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Why should we see guys that won't even be on the team come opening day.
    To get a glimpse of your team's future. To say ST and NFL preseason is useless is just silly. Even in high school ball you had exhibition games before the season. It let's you see what you got as far as a bench and gives your starters some competitive feel.
    And I hope you are right Dirty.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    Hey, maybe Clemens can dome Piazza and end both of their careers.
    how about, no
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    My take on spring training is probably clouded by the fact that the Reds' spring training has been useless since 2001.
    rf28

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    That's the whole season not just ST.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast