Thread: Red Sox and Yanks / Johnny Damon and "7 more years!"

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Red Sox and Yanks / Johnny Damon and "7 more years!"

I just figured I'd post this here since it has to do with both teams and see what other people thought about the demand of a 7 year contract for Damon by Boras.

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

If the Yankees have any hope of softening Johnny Damon's quest for a seven-year, $84 million contract, they'll meet stiff resistance from agent Scott Boras, who has no desire to negotiate down from what he considers a realistic contract.

"Why would I ever do that, especially when it's not fair," Boras said by telephone. "If the Yankees are thinking about paying [free agent] Brian Giles to the age of 37, why not Johnny to the age of 37?"

Giles, who turns 35 in January, and Damon, who turned 32 this month, are the two most attractive center fielders in the free agent market. The difference isn't just in age, but price, too. Giles is likely to command an annual salary of $10 million, while Damon is asking for closer to $12 million per.

The Yankees obviously are interested in the younger, quicker Damon, but thus far have been scared away by Boras' quest for a deal that clones the one Bernie Williams received in 1999.

One Bomber executive observed: "Look at that contract, and see how we overpaid at the back end. We won't do that again."

Another official said the Yankees could be tempted to sign Damon to a four-year deal. Anything beyond that, however, seems non-negotiable. He said, "[Boras] has his head in the clouds" asking for such a mammoth commitment.

That explains why the Yankees had initially targeted Giles, who nevertheless seemed incline to remain on the West Coast. But the former Padres' outfielder has a stronger incentive to sign with the Yankees now that San Diego turned down a proposed three-year, $30 million deal. Monitoring those discussions, Boras said, flatly, "I don't understand why [the Yankees] are looking at Giles."

The agent's sales pitch can be broken down into two simple tenets. First, Damon is the most durable athlete in the big leagues, having played in 145 or more games for 10 straight seasons without being on the disabled list. Only Cal Ripken can match that.

And, second, with Damon batting leadoff and allowing Derek Jeter to move into the No. 2 spot, the Yankees would recreate the formula that worked so well in 1998-99 when Chuck Knoblauch led off ahead of Jeter.

"I'm not asking the Yankees to take any risks with Johnny. The data is there," Boras said. "If Ripken was the iron horse of the game, that title now has to go to Johnny. You get Johnny, and you can put Jeter, who's the best in the business, in the No. 2 spot and suddenly you're forced to pitch to the middle of the Yankees' lineup. And that way, you don't get schooled by the Angels in the playoffs because they walk A-Rod 11 times."

Whether or not that logic resonates with the Yankees remains to be seen. Boras says he won't field any offers for Damon until the winter meetings, which begin in Dallas on Dec. 5. Until then, he said, "I want teams to look at the data and understand what's fair."
    If I were a GM, I wouldn't touch Damon with a 7 year contract and certainly not for $12 million a year. I'll be surprised if he gets that from anyone. If the Yanks won't pay it, then who will? It doesn't seem like the Red Sox are willing to give him that kind of deal either. What a joke.

I'd give Damon 3 years. Max.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    oh, and apparently Boras can do simple addition:

"Why would I ever do that, especially when it's not fair," Boras said by telephone. "If the Yankees are thinking about paying [free agent] Brian Giles to the age of 37, why not Johnny to the age of 37?"

Giles, who turns 35 in January, and Damon, who turned 32 this month, are the two most attractive center fielders in the free agent market.
    Giles turning 35 would put him at 37 at the end of a 3 year contract.

Damon turning 32 would put him at 38 at the end of a 7 year conract, not 37.

MLB ERA
    Well, gotta give him credit, Boras gets his clients paid.

Don't see any way Damon ever gets a 7 year deal, though. Boras's logic is horrible, too; "Well you're paying this older guy 2 more years, why not do it for Damon but for 7 years?"

Paying a guy 12 million a year until he is THIRTY NINE is ridiculous. Todd Helton is getting paid 11 million a year until he turns thirty nine and nobody would argue that it's a ridiculous, horrible deal, and Helton signed that deal in his prime as opposed to Damon who is at the tail end of his prime... a prime that wasn't even that good. Damon brings great defense, good speed, a nice leadoff hitter, but he's not going to bring that for 7 more years. He won't bring that at 39. What does a 39 year old guy who used to be fast and used to play good defense bring to the tables? Probably something similar to, but much worse than, what Bernie Williams did last year at 36.

Anyone who caves to Boras's demands on this deal is an idiot, plain and simple.

MLB ERA
    Scott Boras is funny.

I'd send Johnny to the Northern League.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    **** that shit!
    I agree

MLB ERA
    Boras is a Jackass....

If I were any major league team... I'd send a simple note to Boras and Damon wishing them all the best when they go to play in Japan
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Red Sox

I think any team would be foolish to sign Damon to a 7 year deal. He is a good lead-off man and a good centerfielder in regard to running the ball down. However he couldn't break a pane of glass when throwing. Once his speed is gone which will happen long before the 7 years he will be a liability. If the Yankees want him help yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    I just figured I'd post this here since it has to do with both teams and see what other people thought about the demand of a 7 year contract for Damon by Boras.

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

If I were a GM, I wouldn't touch Damon with a 7 year contract and certainly not for $12 million a year. I'll be surprised if he gets that from anyone. If the Yanks won't pay it, then who will? It doesn't seem like the Red Sox are willing to give him that kind of deal either. What a joke.

MLB ERA
    Like I said, Boras doesn't expect a 7 year deal. He will hold out until the teams interested in him offer more than they are now. It won't be seven years, but it might be five.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    welcome to the forums happyjohn_25

MLB ERA
    I don't know, with that CANNON for an arm Damon is worth it.

Baseball Guru
    Rookie ERA
    I would give him 3y 31 million