Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colon won the Cy Young (at least it's not Rivera, thank goodness)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I had no thoughts on this at all. I am glad it went to a starting pitcher instead of a closer. Closers don't need to win it unless no other SP does well.

MLB ERA
    Santana got shafted here.

I'm glad Wins and Losses are so important. Did Dan O'Brien vote over and over on this?
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    I've got 5 words to say:

What a load of bull.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Good question, why would he want Johan Santana to lose?
    Santana did not deserve it, he was on a 3rd place team that was nowhere near the postseason and had 7 losses w/ only 16 wins. I know wins can be overrated but 7 losses is alot w/ only 16 wins. This was a year w/ no clear cut SP as the fave and mariano should have won it, he was robbed.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Question: What is the Cy Young award for? If you say best pitcher, what is the best pitcher? Most productive? Best performance (w/o regard to durability)?

It generally goes to the best pitcher whose team is at least in the race, it's rare for a pitcher to get it on a team that is nowhere near the postseason race and when your record is only 16-7(I know in the other important categories he was at the top) and your team is out of it by Sept then you aren't winning the CY.

i thought K-Rod was the better pitcher myself (than rivera)
    KRod was not even close to mariano. Street was the only closer even near Mariano.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Just because there's no clear cut SP as a winner doesn't mean that a relief pitcher should get it.

MLB ERA
    While wins are wayyyyyyyy overrated in this... Mariano was not a clear cut dominant, carry his team, pitcher either... IMHO there was no such pitcher in the AL this year....

I believe that this is the highest ERA in a long while for a Cy Young winner... IMHO if you would take the average amount of blown saves and add it to Colon's W total (or subratct if if you will)... he becomes a 17 game winner... in my opinion, Santana, in that situation, is the clear cut better choice....

While I may not like the fact that an above average year get Colon this award, I really can't see a HUGE fuss being made about it when no other pitcher really performed great

AND BTW... where the team finishes in the standings should have no bearing on an INDIVIDUAL award... I don't care if the best pitcher is on a last place team that only won 40 games, the best player should get the individual award

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    Just because there's no clear cut SP as a winner doesn't mean that a relief pitcher should get it.
    I agree w/ that but when we have a dominant closer that closer should get it.

While wins are wayyyyyyyy overrated in this... Mariano was not a clear cut dominant, carry his team, pitcher either...
    he absolutely was. he wasn't gange '03(which was probably the best season for a closer in history) but he was dominant for us 95% of the year.

AND BTW... where the team finishes in the standings should have no bearing on an INDIVIDUAL award... I don't care if the best pitcher is on a last place team that only won 40 games, the best player should get the individual award
    I think it should, a pitcher not pitching in a pennant race has no pressure. JNow if a pitcher on a bad team has aan all-time type year then I'd have no problem but while Santana was worthy the fact that he was pitching in maningless games and didn't put up unreal #s tell me he should not have won it.

MLB ERA
    In VORP, Mariano Rivera is second among relievers to Huston Street, and 50th overall.

Yeah. Dominant.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Being a great player on a crap team is no presure? Puh-lease... Do competitive players put it in their mind set that they must accept fate and want to lose?? Nope... Hell, look at Randy Johnson in his last year with the D-Backs...

And I will accept that Rivera was ONE of the better closers this year... but he was not a carry his team, uber dominant closer... IMHO a closer will only win with a completely dominant year.. he simply was not completely dominant

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave
    Being a great player on a crap team is no presure? Puh-lease... Do competitive players put it in their mind set that they must accept fate and want to lose?? Nope... Hell, look at Randy Johnson in his last year with the D-Backs...

And I will accept that Rivera was ONE of the better closers this year... but he was not a carry his team, uber dominant closer... IMHO a closer will only win with a completely dominant year.. he simply was not completely dominant
    So you are telling me Santana or a pitcher on a team out of it in Sept have the same amount of pressure as a pitcher who is pitching for his team's season?

In VORP, Mariano Rivera is second among relievers to Huston Street, and 50th overall.
    Don't just bring up 1 stat and again mariano had the pressure of a season on him, no team is under more pressure than the Yanks b/c of the payroll and they were clawing all year in which Mariano was a main reason they were able to come back.

MLB ERA
    I am saying that it is pressure, though it may be a different type of pressure... pitchers such as RJ, in his last year with the D-Backs, do stay uber competitive and feel pressure...

Individual awards and prowess are not inherently hand in hand with team performance... bad teams can have great players (boy, does this sound like we're arguing with old Joke again)...

Again... Rivera was ONE of the top closers this year... but was not uber dominant... and for a closer to win out over a starter, it has to be an uber dominant, masterful, lights out season... quite simply, that was not Rivera's season

AAA ERA
    pitchers such as RJ, in his last year with the D-Backs, do stay uber competitive and feel pressure...
    It's a different type of pressure, it doesn't effect a pennant race and teammates. pressure fighting for a playoff spot is much greater than individual pressure.

Individual awards and prowess are not inherently hand in hand with team performance... bad teams can have great players (boy, does this sound like we're arguing with old Joke again)...
    I agree that a player from a bad team can win an award BUT it should be if there are no clear cut candidates from the winning teams. Again, I'll take a player who has a little less stats and comes through to help his team win big games than a player who puts up big #s on a bad team.

Again... Rivera was ONE of the top closers this year... but was not uber dominant... and for a closer to win out over a starter, it has to be an uber dominant, masterful, lights out season... quite simply, that was not Rivera's season
    He was by far the best closer in baseball, he was dominant outside of the 1st week of the year and he is the best closer in MLB history- he deserved the Award. Normally I do't even care about the Awards but w/ the career he's had, the year he had last year after everyone saying he was done and the fact that there were no dominant starters he should have gotten it.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Courtesy of my friend from another board.

Bartolo Colon

Andre the Giant.

MLB ERA
    Past year's performances have no bearing on yearly awards, or at least they SHOULD not..... career numbers mean nothing for the 2005 season.... yearly awards are a "what have you done for me lately" thing.... He was not the most dominant closer in baseball this year... especially "by far"... and he would have had to have been completely lights out to beat a starter out of the award.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast