Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should MLB move some teams?

MLB ERA
    I don't disagree with the baseball wildcard as it stands... I do; however, disagree that we need MORE wildcards

MLB ERA
    8 teams is better then 4, but we need to stop there. The playoffs are perfect like they are IMO.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

MLB ERA
    Why though??

The wildcard was simply added so that no matter what the division outcome, the 2nd best team in a given league would then always be included in the playoffs..

Is there a need for the 8th best team to be in the playoffs when you play a 162 game schedule? IMHO, no... The regular season is what separates the wheat from the chaff.... unlike the NFL where 16 games does not necessarily do all the needed separation

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Forget about moving teams. Baseball should straight up get rid of: Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Oakland, Minnesota, Florida, Washington, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Arizona, and Colorado, thus leaving 20 teams. Go back to two divisions per league, five teams per division, shorten the season to somewhere between 140 to 144 games, both division winners make it to the LCS and the winners face off in the World Series. The season is over with in 6 months (playoffs included), meaning longer off-season, more time to recuperate and hence fewer injuries. Not like it's ever going to happen though...

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    good luck getting rid of Oakland, one of the original franchises...from Philly to KC to Oakland...

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave
    And imp.. "please" indeed.. try going back over the history of attendance since the strike or since the inception of all the current teams....

Consistently, the Rays and the Jays are amung the absolute worst in total attendance and % of seats filled.... and as stated (even by you), Toronto does not have the argument of "small market", that some other teams can have
    Recent history has shown that Toronto can more than support a MLB team, if the team is run properly. The strike combined with some bad seasons immediately after made a lot of hardcore fans lose interest in the game, and Toronto basically had to start from scratch on building a fan base.

In 2003, Toronto was about the 10th lowest team in total attendance, and I'm sure that improved last year, and I guarantee it will improve again this year. Your argument is completely assinine.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    Forget about moving teams. Baseball should straight up get rid of: Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Oakland, Minnesota, Florida, Washington, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Arizona, and Colorado, thus leaving 20 teams. Go back to two divisions per league, five teams per division, shorten the season to somewhere between 140 to 144 games, both division winners make it to the LCS and the winners face off in the World Series. The season is over with in 6 months (playoffs included), meaning longer off-season, more time to recuperate and hence fewer injuries. Not like it's ever going to happen though...
    I'm all for a shorter season. 162 games is a ridiculous number.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    they will NEVER get rid of 10 teams. Baseball should have a 6 team playoff per league not 8 though. How you might ask?

3 divison champs, 3 best people after that.

Best TWO divison winners get bye
    3rd Best Divison Winners vs 6th best team (best of 3 or 5)
    4th best team vs 5th best team (same as above)

#1 Seed faces highest winning seed (best of 7)
    #2 Seed faces lower seeded team (best of 7)

LCS- 7 games
    WS- 7 games

Reduce the season from 162 to 154 games or even 150 games. to give a bigger timeframe for the expanded playoffs. I think this would bring more excitement to game than it is. I also understand the purists who would be absolutely against this too.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Impossibles
    Recent history has shown that Toronto can more than support a MLB team, if the team is run properly. The strike combined with some bad seasons immediately after made a lot of hardcore fans lose interest in the game, and Toronto basically had to start from scratch on building a fan base.

In 2003, Toronto was about the 10th lowest team in total attendance, and I'm sure that improved last year, and I guarantee it will improve again this year. Your argument is completely assinine.
    Please... assinine indeed when you cannot even get your figures straight

2003 - 23rd in attendance - 3rd worst in home % of attendance to capacity

and that is their 2nd best in recent history to 2001, where they were still 23rd, but 5th worst in % attendance

But they are one of the very few teams that is continually at the bottom, and on average one of the 4 worst... and as stated by you, they are not 'small market'

MLB ERA
    Recent population statistics of the areas where the continual worst attendance is with MLB (not including Montreal)

Toronto - 4,682,897
    Tampa - 2,531,908
    Kansas City - 1,904,908
    Milwaukee - 1,514,313
    Pittsburgh - 2,410,330
    Miami - 5,288,796

Now of these Miami is the tops in population, and amung the lowest in attendance as well.. which would put it in with Tampa and Toronto as the ones really not supporting it's team over a long period of time

Recent population statistics of the areas where the continual worst attendance is with MLB (not including Montreal)

Toronto - 4,682,897
    Tampa - 2,531,908
    Kansas City - 1,904,908
    Milwaukee - 1,514,313
    Pittsburgh - 2,410,330
    Miami - 5,288,796

Now of these Miami is the tops in population, and amung the lowest in attendance as well.. which would put it in with Tampa and Toronto as the ones really not supporting it's team over a long period of time
    I said about 10th, 7th worst is pretty close to about 10th.

So your argument is to move teams out of certain markets based on fan attendance:area population ratios? I can see you're an astute business man.

AA ERA
    That's a good question. It depends on the situation. DK talks about how the Twins should be contracted. Yes the Twins have problems drawing and shame on the fans for not going to the games at the Dome considering ticket prices at the Dome are so reasonable compare to Fenway and Yankee Stadium, but if they get an outdoor stadium, I think the Twins would draw well. Still no excuse for not drawing. I have a feeling the Twins will move or be contracted by then which would be unfortunate.

I think Toronto is a good baseball town. They are not drawing because the product stinks and the team is not fun to watch. I think when the Jays start getting better and be a consistent contender for a few years, then fans will start to come. If the Raptors can draw well even when they stink, there is no reason to think the Jays can do the same when they become good.

The Marlins should go though. Miami is a very lousy sports town. Miami simply do not draw well. The Heat are having a great season, but I see lot of empty seats at American Airlines Arena. The Dolphins playoff games seemed to be black out. Marlins have a quality team and they are a WS contender, but for some darn reason, they can't draw well. There is no excuses for fans not to come out and watch the Marlins. Toronto would die to have a team like that. Marlins has had problems drawing at regular season games and their lack of revenues are why players have left.

I think Oakland is a good baseball town, but the stadium is way too old and outdated. It's hard for them to get revenue that way. They need a new stadium like the Twins or they will probably be contracted or gone.

I used to think contraction may be the way to go, but I change my mind. I think any team can be good with smart management no matter what type of revenue or payroll they have to work with.

Should be there more playoff teams? No. It's fine as it is.

MLB ERA

Toronto - 4,682,897
    Tampa - 2,531,908
    Kansas City - 1,904,908
    Milwaukee - 1,514,313
    Pittsburgh - 2,410,330
    Miami - 5,288,796

huh? Tampa should get punished for Miami's lack of support for the Marlins?
    Not that I don't think Tampa should be moved or contracted (if a team is to be moved or contracted, that is) but that's some odd reasoning
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    He is saying that Miami is in the same pool as Tampa and Toronto.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

MLB ERA
    ah, ok. I misread the remark. Sorry then

edit: And it's even worse with the Marlins. They won the World Series and still get no support!
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast