Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game of the Night: AL Division Series, LAA @ NYY-Game 3

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Game of the Night: AL Division Series, LAA @ NYY-Game 3

vs

Randy Johnson makes his Yankee playoff debut tonight as both teams are battling for the series lead. The game is on at 8 PM EST tonight on ESPN.

Angels to face Johnson at Yankee Stadium
    La Angels at Ny Yankees 8:00 pm EDT American League Division Series Series tied, 1-1

BRONX, New York (Ticker) - Whether the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have gained any momentum in their American League Division Series with the New York Yankees may rest largely on how well Randy Johnson performs.

In an effort to bounce back, Johnson and the Yankees host the Angels in Game Three of the series Friday in New York's first home game since September 25.

The Yankees finished the regular season with a 4-3 road trip, good enough to claim the AL East title, and opened up the series with Anaheim with a 4-2 win in Game One on Tuesday. However, the Angels fought back to tie the series Wednesday with a 5-3 victory.

Orlando Cabrera's two-run single in the bottom of the seventh inning snapped a 2-2 tie and Bengie Molina, who had a game-tying RBI single in the sixth, added a solo homer in the eighth for the Angels.

While Johnson (17-8, 3.79) will not be able to close out the series, he is New York's best option to move to the brink of advancing. The five-time Cy Young Award winner rounded into shape down the stretch, going 6-0 with a 1.93 ERA in his last eight starts.

Friday's contest is the main reason the Yankees acquired Johnson this offseason and the 42-year-old lefthander seems up to the task.

"My level of confidence is up, but it only goes as far as how I'm pitching," he said. "I mean, I understand that I am here to get this team over the top, and with that, there's no making mistakes."

Anaheim, against whom Johnson is 15-6 with a 2.92 ERA all-time, features a dose of lefthanded hitters who will have their work cut out for them. Left fielder Garret Anderson, first baseman Darin Erstad, second baseman Adam Kennedy and center fielder Steve Finley are a combined 10-for-52 (.192) with 17 strikeouts against Johnson.

"I'll be prepared for them if we get the game in," Johnson said, knowing well that rain is in Friday's forecast. "The great advantage I have is we faced them back in July and since then, I'm not the same pitcher as I was against a lot of teams that I didn't pitch well against."

In addition to having some momentum, the Angels can look to Johnson's history in division series for an extra dose of confidence. He is just 2-7 with a 4.40 ERA in nine games and eight starts in the division series.

"It is unpredictable, there's no question," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "Every time you think something favors you, something happens to keep that from being the case. With Randy, we have so much confidence in (him) at this point in time, the way he's handled a couple of pressure situations."

Anaheim manager Mike Scioscia has indicated Finley will sit but other lefties will remain in the lineup in support of starter Paul Byrd (12-11, 3.74), who will be making his first career postseason start.

The 34-year-old Byrd was 3-2 with a 2.25 ERA in six starts in September but is winless in three career outings at Yankee Stadium.

"I think the biggest thing about Yankee Stadium is you just don't change anything," Byrd said. "If you become intimidated by the crowd or if the umpire misses a call and you lose it mentally because of that, that can take you out of your game."

The Angels lost their last two games here in July in heartbreaking fashion, both by an 8-7 score. New York scored five runs in the last two innings to rally for the first win and Tony Womack's RBI single in the 11th inning ended the next day's contest.

Despite the setbacks, Scioscia knows his club has had success here and should not be daunted by the task at hand.

"It's a great place" he said. "I know that these guys that we have right now on this club are excited to come here. They love this field; the atmosphere is always electric."

Game Four is scheduled for Saturday afternoon. Anaheim will throw Jarrod Washburn against Shawn Chacon.
    Article Link

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I predict Angels 6 Yanks 4...Johnson struggles like Clemens did last night.

MLB ERA
    3 - 0 Angels on a Garret Anderson homer in the top of the 1st.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    3 - 0 Angels on a Garret Anderson homer in the top of the 1st.

MLB ERA
    still 3 - 0 in the 3rd.

MLB ERA
    5 - 0 now as Molina homers

Johnson is following Clemens' lead

AAA ERA
    Randy continues to kill the Yanks in postseason, did it against us in '95 & '01 and now for us

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    eh, it's not as shocking to see johnson struggle since he was hardly.. a force to reckon with in 2005. so with that said, keep up the great work Randy.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    wow, he actually does worse than Clemens as he is done for the night. He leaves with 2 runners on, but so far 3 innings, 5 earned, 9 hits, 2 homers, and 2 k's.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    who goes next for the pinstripes in game 3?
    Ted

MLB ERA
    this is game 3...and it's Small....Chacon starts tomorrow

MLB ERA
    and Small helps Johnson keep his ERA of 15 instead of raising it to 18 or 21.

MLB ERA
    5 - 1 as Matsui goes deep.

MLB ERA
    Still 6 innings to go, but the Angels have got to be feeling good right now. Going up 2-1 on the yanks in a 5 game series, good position. Imagine if both the Red Sox and the Yanks lose in the first round. Amazing.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    3, 4..9 14.. whatever!
    Ted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast