Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the Horn (8/31)

MLB ERA
    I think an A is going to win the AL Rookie of the Year award, but the question is which one. Blanton has done a pretty good job in the A’s rotation with the loss of Hudson and Mulder. Street has been doing great with 18/22 Saves per opportunities, and is 9/9 in august. But I have to give it to Swisher, because without him, I don’t think the A’s would be where they are today. As for the NL, there is almost no contest, Jeff Francoeur has just been putting on a show and keeping the Braves in the NL East lead. With a .349 AVG, 10 HR, and 31 RBI in 41 games, this guy has been putting on a show.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

++++ Love for Jeffy all around.

Will Jeff sweep? Prov, the ball's in your court.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    sorry, I was on the phone...trade deadline you know! Street is a rookie ATL...I think if Swisher gets a few more homers and RBIs (he leads all AL rookies in both), then he'll get it...or if Blanton can get 12 wins...

NL...I dunno...Jeff will have only played half the year and it's rookie of the year, not rookie of the half year...so someone else should get it...I dunno who, Taveras? he's played all year, plays CF, and runs like the wind w/ around 30 steals.

++++

Our next topic was suggested by Missionhockey.

Considering the fact the Reds are going nowhere...Is it foolish that the Reds are keeping Griffey versus trading him to the White Sox? Slyder, what say you?

MLB ERA
    How much are the White Sox asking for the Reds to pay him? It wouldnt make sense (financially) if the White Sox are asking for more than half the salary be paid for by the Reds. If the Reds can get a fair return *cough McCarthy* then I would say "wish it could have been better, but you cant go home again". I dont see the Reds trading him now with new ownership possibly coming in and taking over.

Junior is still a gate attraction, especially with the way he has been playing and healthy for arguably the first time in 4 yrs. The Reds have an Excess of OF, makes sense to trade him.

Griffey like most athletes at this point in his career wants the crown jewel of sport, the World Series ring. He could go to the American League and prolong his career like it did for Robin Yount, Edgar Martinez, Eddie Murray. He also could always go into CF for defense but they have some guy named Rowan who makes just about as many plays a night as the YOUNG Griffey use to.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

++++ well said.

Prov?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I'm not sure if they should trade Griffey specifically, but if they want to get better and contend for the playoffs next season and beyond, then they need to do something to get some pitching. If they don't, then they're not going anywhere. You can say whatever about selling the team and new ownership and blah blah blah, but IMHO the moron of GM is just too afraid to make a trade. He's afraid that the other team(s) will get the best of him...well, you have to take some risks in the business of baseball just like you do in life. They're not going to get better by not doing anything, that's for sure.

++++

ATL, what say you?

ATL is injured, with a dislocated brain.

Pinch-hitting for ATLien, Browntown.

Brown..Considering the fact the Reds are going nowhere...Is it foolish that the Reds are keeping Griffey versus trading him to the White Sox?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    No, I really don't think this is a bad move. If you look at the Reds, they have a serious chance to be a contender next year. Aaron Harang, Brandon Claussen, and Ryan Wagner are all young and have some real potential and the pitching is been much-improved over the second half of the year, and lest we forgot, Cincy's the best-hitting squad in the NL. If the Reds have faith they can go out and land a big-name starter (Burnett?), there's no reason to trade your best all-around player. Let's not forget...for all the talk about Cincy with 4 quality OFs, neither Pena, nor Dunn, nor Kearns is a real centerfielder, and not many play the position better than one George Kenneth Griffey Jr. Keep Griffey, sign a bona fide pitcher or two, and make a run at the playoffs next year...get baseball excitement back in Cincy!
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

++++

Element, go time.

MLB ERA
    Foolish is exactly the word I would use to describe it. What is the Reds’ logic on this, are they trying to put more fans in the seats, or trying to contend next year? Even with Griff, I don’t think they can do either. The Reds could get some valuable spects that could play in 2 or 3 years and possibly get the Reds to the playoffs for once. Griffey has been tearing it up lately, and is at the height of his trade value, so I say trade him before he gets hurt again. The White Sox want to win now, and I think you could get great prospects for a guy like Griffey, because that is the White Sox missing piece. On the other hand, the last I heard, the White Sox are asking the Reds to pay for a lot of Griff’s contract, so it may not have been such a good pay off for the Reds.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

++++

Alright, we take a break, and when we return, we dim the lights for a little Buy or Sell.

Unfortunately, something in Statboy's life came up, and I'm forced to go to the police immediately. Taking over for me is Max Kellerman, AKA, Providence.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast