Thread: Future Hall of Famers...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Future Hall of Famers...

Will they be in the Hall?

As you will see, this writer has 40 players divided in two articles that he feels will be in the Hall, come their respective times. Along the way are nods to those who just miss(some are obvious jokes).

What are your opinions on the future Hall of Famers?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

On that list.
    I'll just skim over Part II

Pedro - For sure (No real way to argue against him. He dominated, he was the best pitcher of part of his era, he won a title, simply the best (and in 2003 on, simply the best until pitch 100)

Schilling - Maybe on a weak year after the first ballot (His stats just don't overwhelm me enough. A lot like Kevin Brown really, but more gutsy).

Brown - Schilling in a Yankee uniform with a bad back. He likely has a similar case to Schill but his injury lore and lack of memorable moments will keep him out.

Prior - His potential shows he has a good a shot as anyone, he just needs to avoid all these freak injuries and get a string of full seasons under his belt.

Oswalt - I fear that it will take a while for him to get his due, but with fantasy baseball as big as it is, his recognition can't be that far away. Likely has a better shot than Prior right now

Sheffield- He's a tough case. His only title (which these people do consider for some reason) was with the mercenary Marlins. He has had a great career with seasons ranging from very good to superb over it. A cannon for an arm too. However, is he the Raffy Palmeiro of the OF (except he plays for NY now)? Think about it, great stats, no MVPs, typically the reserve choice for the all-star team, one batting title, never led the league in HR or RBI. I think if he makes some of the golden numbers, he'll be in, but maybe not first ballot. I think it all depends on how he is viewed when he leaves, maybe if in his walk off season he wins a title by carrying his team through the playoffs, he may be more Duke Snider than Jim Rice in the voting process.

Frank Thomas: He absolutely should. He was arguably the dominant hitter of the 90's, his rate stats are off the charts. Only one eligible player above Frank Thomas on the OBP leaders list is not there, and he played 8 seasons in the 1800's. Only people ahead of him actively are Barry Bonds (lock), and Todd Helton (we'll see). In slugging he has more active people ahead of him, but all the eligibles are in the HoF, OPS is the same way. 2 MVPs, a batting title, four-time OBP and OPS leader, he's Top 10 active in runs which for a guy his speed is impressive, 2100+ hits, 3800+ TB, 436 HR. Even in the "steroid era", he should be a lock

Raffy - If I ignore the roid catch, absolutely. If not, well, I'll wait and see. Based on what he has done, I wouldn't hesitate to vote him in...first ballot.

Ichiro - He will need to be amazing to get in for only 10 years of service, and I don't think he's been that great so far. If he could match that 2004 season more often then he does 2003, then I'll say yes. But no thanks now, and I don't feel like giving much weight to AAAA stats.

A. Jones - I'm not arguing against him. He keeps it up, he'll get a spot from the old-times and statheads.

Wright and Blalock are too far away

Rolen: If he can be similarly productive for the rest of his career, I can't see how you keep him out. Supposedly the best defensive 3B since Brooks Robinson and he can hit too. If he retired today, no. But if he retired 8 years from now with 5 more 25 HR-100 RBI type years, a lot of people will push for him.

Chipper: I think he's wrong. Chipper will be remembered more as a 3B than an OF, and he has most of the qualifications voters want. He has a ring, he has that really sweet 3-4-5 line (BA-OBP-SLG), MVP, top 50 in SLG and OPS, top 75 in OBP, should have at least 400 HRs when his career ends and at 3B it isn't that bad. Very similar to Gary Sheffield actually, but playing 3B for longer may get him in.

Kent - At worst the third best 2B of this era (Alomar and Biggio, thanks to Bill James), and he's still hitting as he gets older. Not your model HoF or one you punch the ticket to automatically, but don't be surprised.

Hoffman - Depends completely on how HoF voters view pitchers who throw a small number of innings throughout their career. He has a great 70-90 IP a year...but is the number enough? I think Rivera's the only closer lock.

K-Rod - See Hoffman.

Adam Dunn - If he continues his power pace, yeah, he'll be in the HoF. When the media hates K's, he'll have some issues throughout his career (sure, he'll put up a 1.000 OPS with 50 HRs...but he strikesout 200 times).

Damon - Even though he gets a lot of hits, unless he gets well past 3,000 (at least a 200 hit season past), I find it hard to put a guy who has been a league average hitter with no real dominance in the HoF. At least Raffy piled on the stats.

Ortiz - I honestly do not think he is THAT much of a longshot if he can put up a string of years like last year. He may make it undeservingly with some "clutch" HRs and good playoff performances (and murdering the Yankees), but he has a shot

The rest I pretty much agree with. Don't want to see Vizquel in when the era had hitters like Nomar, A-Rod, and Jeter (and to an extent, types like Cabrera, Renteria, Furcal, etc.), but he could make it.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    My only gripes with his inclusions are:
    Miguel Cabrera (he's done nothing of note; why project him as a Hall of Famer?)
    David Wright and Hank Blalock (much of the same as Miggy Cabs)
    Francisco Rodriguez (... you know, there's been plenty of people hailed as "most potential at XXX position ever". So far, K-Rod isn't any different than them)
    Johnny Damon (what the ****? ****ing no.)
    Joe Mauer (STOPPPP WITH THE OVERRATING OF POTENTIAL SCHOENFIELD, ARGH)

Other than that, w00t, nice list.

Here's who I think should be in the Hall, but he doesn't:

Chipper, Rolen (if he continues at a decent pace), Abreu, Ortiz (if he continues to dominate), Zito, Harden, the Moose, Bernie, Noomar (if he ever gets healthy).

Shouldn't be:

Prior, unless he goes a few years without missing a month, Damon (no ****ing way), Miggs Cabrera (I predict a collapse).
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sheffield will be a first ballot hallofamer cause he's going to end his career with 500 HR, 3000 hits, and a career average of around .300.

Now list everyone's accomplished those type of numbers.
    Ted

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    I am sure Mark Prior will have a long and productive career, free of injuries.
    He'll be a great pitcher, when he is able to stay healthy but his career will be damaged by constant trips to the DL.

Oh and thanks for the laugh, Johnny ****ing Damon?!?! That has to be a joke.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The valid point on Damon is reaching 3,000 hits. There's his free pass, but he'd have to stay among an elite offense to really reach that I think. Boston, New York... whichever.

-David Ortiz made a splash way to late to go after rich career numbers. We was mostly unnoticed in Minnesota.

-I'm sure Bernie will be in the Yankees' Hall of Fame, but he got underway too late in his career too to reach eye popping pinnacles.

-I'd hate it if Smoltzy got left out.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Smoltz and Schilling both have fewer than 200 career victories. How the hell can you justify that? It's not even easy to keep Sandy Koufax in the Hall, and he had a much better peak than those two. More rings, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.