Thread: "It's not the fans' money" bullshit

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

"It's not the fans' money" bullshit

Angels' deal for Vernon Wells is no mistake, Arte Moreno insists - Los Angeles Times
    The Angels traded for an outfielder last week. No one seemed to care how good he might be, or whom the Angels gave up to get him.

No, this was the analysis: Vernon Wells has $86 million left on his contract, and the Angels traded for him. Are they nuts?

"It's our money," owner Arte Moreno said.
    Should anybody still believe this asinine fallacy besides the typical delusional Daniel Snyder apologist? (ahem, TaylortheUndertaker)

Re: "It's not the fans' money" bullshit

I mean, he's absolutely right: it is his money. However, the fans have a right to not give him any more if they disapprove of the way he uses the money that they have already given him. So while he's right in a way, he's still an idiot if he truly believes that.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It is his money but they didn't get that money without help from the fans. Moreno has to know it was a huge mistake.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by General View Post
    I mean, he's absolutely right: it is his money. However, the fans have a right to not give him any more if they disapprove of the way he uses the money that they have already given him. So while he's right in a way, he's still an idiot if he truly believes that.
    Good point. I never thought of it as a two-way street. My retort always on this matter is more direct; everytime you buy a ticket to a game and pay $20 for parking, or buy any such team merchandise, then it IS your money going toward a player's fat paycheck.

That said, I don't think he's an idiot, but maybe he knows his fans are suckers.

MLB ERA

Since pricing is based on demand, where the money goes or who it goes to doesn't matter to me. What matters is winning games, and Vernon Wells will not help the Angels win that many games.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Actually, because the money isn't paid up front, it's not completely accurate to say it's his money. Now, maybe Moreno does have $86 million lying around somewhere in his house, who knows? But it's safe to say his team's payroll, just like every other team's, is still financed by future ticket revenue.

MLB ERA

Okay, then it's his contractual liability, for which he must pay or violate existing contracts, unless someone assumes that liability.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Wait, do you mean if Frank McBroke's paychecks to his players start bouncing, the law can force him out of ownership? High five!