Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NL Triple Crown Watch

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

National League NL Triple Crown Watch

This is really an exciting time in the NL. Not only is this a Triple Crown watch but also the MVP watch. Both guys will be very deserving and I'm not one of these believers that think that whoever's team makes the playoffs, that's who should win MVP. This is why this is so great, they are both trying to get their team in the playoffs. Its a race within a race! Here is how Albert Pujols and Joey Votto compare as of right now.

Batting Average:

2. Votto- .321
    5. Pujols- .309

Homeruns:
    1. Pujols- 35
    3. Votto- 32

RBI:
    1. Votto- 98
    2. Pujols- 96

Pujols definitely has the edge and it would be fitting for a Cardinal to win the Triple Crown. The last NL Triple Crown winner was Joe "Ducky" Medwick of the St. Louis Cardinals all the way back in 1937.
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 09-06-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: NL Triple Crown Watch

Votto winning the MVP, let alone the triple crown, would be amazing. This is a guy who most wrote off as a MAYBE major leaguer. Then he was upgraded, and some more, and some more. It seemed like last year he was accepted, but then it was just as a "good" 1B. Votto is the real deal, a true clubhouse presence, solid D, and the complete run producing game. He is someone you build your team around.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Remember me telling you a couple of seasons ago just why you wouldn't miss Adam Dunn

Rookie ERA
    I'm guessing Pujols ends up finally taking the triple crown. But I'm very impressed with the season Votto has put up. As much as I don't like it, I'm sure he's the real deal.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Big day for Votto yesterday!! Updated

MLB ERA

Both guys are having great seasons and either could win any of the categories. Will they both be pitched to down the stretch?
    Lets look at who is hitting behind them. For the Reds its Scott Rolen -- .297/19/73. He is a very good right-handed hitter and a proven run producer. He is .300/14/57 v. righties and .288/5/16 v. lefties.
    Matt Holliday is .300/22/78 overall. He is .295/17/57 v. righties and .319/5/21 v. lefties. He is another proven run producer.
    Which one would you rather face with the game on the line -- Pujols or Holliday or Votto or Rolen?
    Also, don't forget that Adam Dunn might have something to say about who wins the home run title. He's only a couple of homers behind Pujols for the league lead.
    Last edited by catman; 08-26-2010 at 01:24 PM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Some guy named Pujols hit #400 the other night. No biggie Updated

MLB ERA

Carlos Gonzalez will have something to say about the batting championship this season.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You'll have to watch out for Infante for the batting title if he manages to qualify. Which I'm not sure how far off he is on reaching that, but he's at .343 right now. They were talking about him during the game and the batting title but I did not catch everything.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

For some reason I think the vote's going to go to Votto. I think the feeling will be that Pujols will have lots of opportunities in the future whereas this might be Votto's year. The numbers are close. Plus, of course, the Reds are in first place. Anything can happen if either of them goes on a tear, but if the season were to end today I'd say Votto by a nose.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I do think if the numbers continue to be so close, whoever makes the playoffs will be the X-factor. Not that that is the right way to vote, but it certainly is how voters often lean.

BTW, welcome to the site JButler!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Infante will qualify for the batting title by the end of the season. Right now, he doesn't have enough at-bats.
    rf28

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

WOW Pujols is now 5th in BA thanks to Prado and Castro qualifying. Its going to be even tougher now for anyone to win this. Updated

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

MLB really should do away with RBI's and replace it with OPS or a better efficiency metric. That being said, the batting triple crown is not as flawed as the pitching triple crown.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    WOW Pujols is now 5th in BA thanks to Prado and Castro qualifying. Its going to be even tougher now for anyone to win this. Updated
    IMO, Pujols shouldn't be leapfrogged by two hitters who have only just now qualified with enough AB's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast