Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2010 All Star Game rosters

MLB ERA

Re: 2010 All Star Game rosters

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    His ERA is 1.09. Where are you getting .30 at?

Any rate, my point wasn't meant as he should be in over Rhodes. (Although I can understand how it comes off as that)

My point was that if middle relievers can be all stars (and Rhodes being in sets the precedent) Gregerson is also having an all-star caliber year and is a 3rd one to Mofo's list of players with the stats.

He just had a bad 3 run outing that ballooned his ERA to the 2.23 it's at right now.

Even after that bad outing he has a 0.595 WHIP. (Rhodes is 0.909 for comparison's sake)
    Rhodes gave up 3 of his 4 earned runs in one game. Before that he had an era of .29 which is what Porter probably was saying.

Again you could make the case that Wagner deserved it more than Rhodes but Rhodes has be absolute lights out the entire year.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Technically, Wagner has been lights out this season too.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Again, I wasn't trying to say Gregerson should be in instead of Rhodes.

I wasn't really even trying to say Gregerson should be in at all.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

But he certainly would have deserved being selected.
    Ted

MLB ERA

But, FWIW, Luke has given up ERs in only 5 of the 38 games he's appeared in. (Which isn't quite as outstanding as the 2 of 37 for Rhodes)

Rookie ERA

I just like to comment on the hilarity that ensues every year.
    Not as hilarious as this whining about snubs EVERY F****** YEAR! Do the math 34 spots , in the NL 16 of those have to go to each team that leaves 18 others at the mercy of fan voting, player voting and the NL manager’s picks. That makes for a A LOT of snubs, which in reality are not so much snubs as just not enough to spots to go around for all the deserving players that might not be “fan“ and “player“ favorites or on the manager‘s own team.

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    We can't forget he had Ibanez, Victorino, and Werth all starting for last year's NL squad.
    Why not? He won the 2008 World Series with those guys to make him the NL All-Star manager last year or perhaps that just sticks in my memory more than others. BTW, Victorino was not picked by him and he wasn’t a starter, he was the final online fan vote just like Votto could be the winner of that vote this year.

I would bet if everyone here picked a line-up card for both leagues, there would be a BUNCH of "snubs" in all of those, too.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Tobywan View Post
    Not as hilarious as this whining about snubs EVERY F****** YEAR! Do the math 34 spots , in the NL 16 of those have to go to each team that leaves 18 others at the mercy of fan voting, player voting and the NL manager’s picks. That makes for a A LOT of snubs, which in reality are not so much snubs as just not enough to spots to go around for all the deserving players that might not be “fan“ and “player“ favorites or on the manager‘s own team.
    You would have an argument if things like a guy who has a very legitimate shot at the MVP being left off the roster in favor of the manager's player didn't happen.

The argument (that you call whining) isn't that people are having good seasons but aren't in the game. The argument is always that someone is having an outstanding season but is left off in favor of someone who's having a mediocre-at-best season. And that person is not always a team's only rep.

Why not? He won the 2008 World Series with those guys to make him the NL All-Star manager last year or perhaps that just sticks in my memory more than others. BTW, Victorino was not picked by him and he wasn’t a starter, he was the final online fan vote just like Votto could be the winner of that vote this year.
    This is the All-Star game, not the World Series rep game.

Just because the Phillies proved to be the best team in the NL the last two years doesn't mean every player on their team is better than anyone else playing the same position.

Furthermore, that was 2008. This is 2010. The premise of the All-Star game is to reward players who are having a great season this year. Not players who had a great season two years ago.

I would bet if everyone here picked a line-up card for both leagues, there would be a BUNCH of "snubs" in all of those, too.
    There probably would be some snubs if everyone picked a roster, but I'd be willing to bet pretty much everybody here would have Joey Votto on their roster.

If Joey Votto isn't on someone's All Star roster they're either being a blind homer, aren't paying attention, or are a Major League manager picking his own players. (Which I suppose can fall under the same category as being a blind homer)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ibanez was having a monster year at the time... didn't the fans vote to start him?

There would be, and will continue to always be, snubs. For any sport. Well maybe not the Pro Bowl, no one cares about that. But, it'll never be perfect, just accept it. Or laugh at it, whatever.
    Ted

MLB ERA

It'll never be perfect, but to suggest there isn't a legitimate reason to "complain" is taking it a tad far.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You're not a legitimate reason!
    Ted

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Is Cahill out because he won't be available to pitch? Why pick him then? BS. Now the A's won't even have a player there. They should have picked Bailey again and not used him.

Rookie ERA

You would have an argument if things like a guy who has a very legitimate shot at the MVP being left off the roster in favor of the manager's player didn't happen.

Key word there being “shot” he isn’t the MVP yet that doesn’t come until after the season is over.

This is the All-Star game, not the World Series rep game.
    Just because the Phillies proved to be the best team in the NL the last two years doesn't mean every player on their team is better than anyone else playing the same position.
    Furthermore, that was 2008. This is 2010. The premise of the All-Star game is to reward players who are having a great season this year. Not players who had a great season two years ago.

LMAO! How do you think the managers are picked? They get there by virtue of being the managers in the previous WS. So, I guess Joe Torre NEVER put a ton of his Yankees (certainly not ALL deserving) in when he just happened to manage to AL side all those years? I didn’t say the Phillies players picked were better than anyone else, it is the managers discretion to fill remaining spots outside of team reps and voted players and he has the right to fill everyone of those with scrubs from own team if he wants. This year it happens to be the discretion of the Phillies Manager, he could pick Grudzulanek if he wants, even though no one on the freaking planet would agree with that choice.

BTW, the premise of the All-Star game is to allow the fans to see popular already known players as well as current stats leaders and even a showcase for new and upcoming talent, exactly what is intended and no matter who thinks someone was snubbed it is usually a pretty good mix of all three of those. If it were purely driven by what someone was doing this year voting wouldn’t start a month into the current season and it wouldn‘t be played in the middle, it would be played at the end or sometime during the off season. Weren’t people just *****ing about that as well, how early the voting starts?

There probably would be some snubs if everyone picked a roster, but I'd be willing to bet pretty much everybody here would have Joey Votto on their roster.

Hmmm, I don’t remember saying he would be on or off anyone’s line-up card here, I don’t believe I even mentioned his name anywhere in that post.

It'll never be perfect, but to suggest there isn't a legitimate reason to "complain" is taking it a tad far.

I see it’s ok to “complain” about snubs not ok to “complain’” about the “complainers. Oh, the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    Is Cahill out because he won't be available to pitch? Why pick him then? BS. Now the A's won't even have a player there. They should have picked Bailey again and not used him.

He can still attend and be the rep, he just likely won’t pitch due to the Sunday cut off for pitchers.

MLB ERA

Key word there being “shot” he isn’t the MVP yet that doesn’t come until after the season is over.
    The All-Star game isn't played after the season is over.

LMAO! How do you think the managers are picked? They get there by virtue of being the managers in the previous WS. So, I guess Joe Torre NEVER put a ton of his Yankees (certainly not ALL deserving) in when he just happened to manage to AL side all those years? I didn’t say the Phillies players picked were better than anyone else, it is the managers discretion to fill remaining spots outside of team reps and voted players and he has the right to fill everyone of those with scrubs from own team if he wants. This year it happens to be the discretion of the Phillies Manager, he could pick Grudzulanek if he wants, even though no one on the freaking planet would agree with that choice

Obviously the manager can pick who he wants but that doesn't make his picks any less dumb.

BTW, the premise of the All-Star game is to allow the fans to see popular already known players as well as current stats leaders and even a showcase for new and upcoming talent, exactly what is intended and no matter who thinks someone was snubbed it is usually a pretty good mix of all three of those. If it were purely driven by what someone was doing this year voting wouldn’t start a month into the current season and it wouldn‘t be played in the middle, it would be played at the end or sometime during the off season. Weren’t people just *****ing about that as well, how early the voting starts?
    That premise went out the window the day Bud Selig made the result of the game affect the World Series.

Hmmm, I don’t remember saying he would be on or off anyone’s line-up card here, I don’t believe I even mentioned his name anywhere in that post.
    I didn't say you said anything. I am the one who said it. And the point was that there is legit reason for the complaint.

Joey Votto would be on everybody's list because it's painfully obvious to anyone who's not Charlie Manuel that he deserves to be playing in the game.

I see it’s ok to “complain” about snubs not ok to “complain’” about the “complainers. Oh, the irony.
    Where do you get that I'm saying it's not ok to complain about the complainers?

Did I come in here and post something like "Not as hilarious as this whining about whining about snubs EVERY F****** YEAR!"?

Hint: Providing counter-arguments to posted opinions =/= complaints or statements that it's not "ok" to post those opinions.

Hell, I complain about Favre complainers all the time so it's not like I'm not on the other side of a debate of this nature at times.

I just think that All-Star snub complaints hold some degree of legitimacy.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

What manager picks Matt Capps over Ryan Zimmerman and put OMAR INFANTE on the roster.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast