Thread: BA Draft Grades

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

MLB BA Draft Grades

BaseballAmerica.com: Blog: Baseball America Draft Blog » Blog Archive » Draft Grades, 2005-08

My Orioles are coming off of two A's for 2007 (Wieters) and 2008 (Matusz)... I am not sure that Hobgood will net an A grade though.

The Reds faired well in this exercise also.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: BA Draft Grades

Did we really have to show how bad our Bavasi era was?

Ugh.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Too bad we have Bavasi degrading us Reds fans now. But, yes we did fair well at ninth. Poor Stros, they really suck right now.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mike Leake was a steal at #9. I don't know how the second best pitcher in college baseball (and maybe the second best pitcher overall depending if you prefer Leake over Zack Wheeler) isn't already selected long before then. People like to say the MLB draft is a joke because of few impact players chosen with high picks. Well, I say if you're good enough to take the proven stud who falls to you, you ought to be happy that other teams' draft gurus are as stupid as they are, and that the Tom Verduccis and Peter Gammons of the world aren't willing to put their neck out to criticize their selections.

Also, it's beyond me how we got an A grade for the 2006 draft considering Bryan Morris is a bust and Preston Mattingly is a piece of shit.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Poor Stros, they really suck right now.
    Yes, they do suck, don't they?

Jeff Passan:
    Houston’s track record in the amateur draft is not just embarrassing. It’s stupefying, short-sighted, blatantly stupid, hilarious in a what-in-the-Sam-Hill-are-they-doing fashion and, well, if there’s one word for it, then it’s ironically appropriate: amateurish.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yep, Leake was a bigtime steal. Then again, so was Lincecum for the Giants back in 2006. The Reds instead picked up on Drew Stubbs. Some teams are in it to win the draft selection game and actually make their farm a lot better, but that same team will decide not to follow that up with a consistent goal to draft in that capacity every year.