Thread: Albert Pujols wins the 2009 NL MVP

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cardinals Albert Pujols wins the 2009 NL MVP

Surprising no one, Prince Albert captures his third National League Most Valuable Player award, receiving all thirty-two first place votes proving that at least this year, the writers knew who to vote for.

Congrats Albert and Cardinals fans.
    Third time is charming for MVP Pujols
    Cardinals slugger unanimous selection for NL honors

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com
    ST. LOUIS -- This wasn't an announcement. It was a coronation. Then again, a case could be made that the entire 2009 season fit that description for Albert Pujols.

Long since established as one of baseball's great players, Pujols emerged as the game's dominant figure in 2009. On Tuesday, the Baseball Writers' Association of America once again recognized him as such, naming Pujols the National League Most Valuable Player in a unanimous decision.

Pujols received all 32 first-place votes, good for 448 ballot points. Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez garnered 15 second-place votes and 233 points. First baseman Ryan Howard of the Phillies was a close third with 217 points. He was followed by Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder and Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki.

"It's an award you give to one person, but I believe if it wouldn't have been for the help my teammates have given me for the past year, I wouldn't be standing up here," Pujols said. "I always say, if I could split this award and give a piece to every single player that had an impact with this organization, I would do that."

It's the second straight year that Pujols has won the award, and the third time overall. He is the 10th player in history to win three MVPs, and the fifth to win it three times in the National League. He is the 12th player to win back-to-back MVP awards. The last was Barry Bonds, who won it four straight years from 2001-04.

"When you think about the year we had, to have it end in this fashion is really quite remarkable," general manager John Mozeliak said. "It's historic what he's achieved and we're very fortunate to be a part of that."

Every three-time MVP who is eligible for Hall of Fame enshrinement has been elected to the Hall. Alex Rodriguez and Bonds have not come up for election yet. Now Pujols makes 10, and he's building his Cooperstown case every year.

"There's three things that as a professional athlete you want," Pujols said. "You want to get to the big leagues, and I accomplished that. Winning a World Series ring, I got that. And then getting to the Hall of Fame. That's everybody's dream. Every athlete, they want to be up there in the Hall of Fame, mentioned with the greatest players to ever play this game."

The award puts Pujols on a level with a number of the game's greats, but in St. Louis, a third MVP has a special resonance. Stan Musial is the only other Cardinals player with three MVP awards, and with every year, Pujols inches a little closer to Musial's place as the greatest Cardinal ever.

Pujols said that Musial called his foundation to offer congratulations, but that he still needed to return the call.
    To read the rest: Third time is charming for MVP Pujols | MLB.com: News

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Albert Pujols wins the 2009 NL MVP

No surprise here and well deserved. Pretty soon we may have to start thinking about his being the first bagger on the all-time team. Without a doubt, Gehrig is still that guy. But Phat Albert still has many years ahead of him and he simply hasn't stopped being the best there is.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The top 4 were all solid choices. Not hard to pick those guys as being valuable.
    1B is the NL is a tough spot to work.

No surprise here. Glad that all the voters knew what they were doing.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foster View Post
    The top 4 were all solid choices. Not hard to pick those guys as being valuable.
    1B is the NL is a tough spot to work.
    It's like coming in second place in a world wide hunt for the most beautiful person. Yeah, you lost but you have to feel conflicted.

Imagine how many MVP's Pujols would have now if Bonds was in the AL this decade. We all know how close a few of those races between Pujols and Bonds were already, let alone if Barry was removed from the equation.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Shocked that one voter didn't screw it up, like usual. Not shocked at the pick.

So how many more does he win, 3..4..5? Less? Maybe never again? O_O
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

One joker gave a Jeremy Affeldt a vote.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I say he wins at least 2 more. At least. The guy is flat out ridiculous. Last night Hot Stove pointed out that he is already ahead of Joe Dimaggio in every offensive category. That's saying things.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    It's like coming in second place in a world wide hunt for the most beautiful person. Yeah, you lost but you have to feel conflicted.

Imagine how many MVP's Pujols would have now if Bonds was in the AL this decade. We all know how close a few of those races between Pujols and Bonds were already, let alone if Barry was removed from the equation.
    And Bonds at that time even said that Pujols was the MVP, not him.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Over / Under set at 3.5? Thoughts?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pujols should have four if it weren't for morons giving Ryan Howard one. Still can't let that go. Pujols is the best of this generation and has the triple crown for the 2000's. Simply amazing and getting better.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Let it go, dude. Ryan Howard's BA/OBP/SLG line was very close to Pujols', so it's understandable that Howard's 58 jacks made the difference in their minds.