View Poll Results: Which team should be atop this week's power rankings?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Atlanta Braves

2 18.18%
  • Boston Red Sox

1 9.09%
  • Chicago Cubs

1 9.09%
  • Los Angeles Angels

0 0%
  • Los Angeles Dodgers

1 9.09%
  • New York Mets

0 0%
  • New York Yankees

1 9.09%
  • Philadelphia Phillies

0 0%
  • St. Louis Cardinals

2 18.18%
  • Tampa Bay Rays

3 27.27%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power Rankings, Week 1

Re: Power Rankings, Week 1

With some good managing today the Yankees would be 4-2. I cannot believe Joe did not bring in Mariano Rivera, THE CLOSER, to get the last 4 outs of the game.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bcshorts View Post
    If Wellemeyer, Pinero, and Lohse can have solid years, the Cardinals might go a little farther than I think. But offensive weaknesses at second, short, and third have me pretty skeptical. That's why I don't think they'll be able to take it to the next level and challenge the Cubs. I certainly hope they can, though, as I am not a Cubs fan at all.
    I don't think that 2B and SS will be weaknesses this year. Green isn't the same hitter that he was last year. He had an unusually bad year last year. Scumaker isn't a liablility offensively. He is the leadoff hitter, and was moved from the OF to 2B for his offence. He may be a defensive libility, but he will make up for it with his bat. I'll give you third base. It could be a weakness, although Thurston may take over at third, and surprise a lot of people.

Lohse has become a very good pitcher. I'm not completely sold on Wellemeyer even though he had a very good year last year. He does worry me. He actually worries me more than Piniero does. I think Piniero will have a good year. I hope Wellemeyer does, and he could prove me wrong. I hope he does. Ill be interested in seeing how he pitches tomorrow against the Diamondbacks tomorrow night.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Maybe you didn't pull the rankings out of your ass but perhaps you should pull the stick out.

So a few people disagreed with your rankings. Deal with it.

FWIW I'm fairly certain the Padres will find their way to the bottom of everyone's rankings pretty soon.
    I'm sorry daddy, I didn't realize there was one. I just thought I would simplify things a little so people would understand how the rankings were developed, and since they didn't get it the first time, I thought I'd throw a little color into it. Sorry if you can't deal with it

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Damn you bcshorts! Damn you for taking the time to make your own rankings and a well written post about them! I disagree with everything you said.

Seriously, nice job.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Are you telling me that you think Jurgens/Vazquez/Kawakami are better than Pelfrey? Vazquez is a journeyman, Kawakami is totally unproven, and Jurgens has one decent year, same as Pelf. So if you think that the Braves are the overall number one team with pretty much the same rotation as the Mets(the rotation being what you claim to be the Mets' problem), than how are the Mets in trouble come playoff time?

Also, the Mets do not at all rely on the HR, they have Reyes giving speed, Murphy who is a perfect high average, 15 HR guy batting #2, and then a bunch of guys 3-6 who are double or HR guys in Wright, Delgado, Beltran, and Church. Other than maybe Delgado, not one of them "relies" on the HR. Schneider is not a good hitter, and Castillo is a question mark. If Castillo hits like the last two days, then our lineup is more than fine, and we will prove your power rankings completely wrong. If he doesn't, then who knows. But for you to claim that the Mets rely on the HR and have a significantly worse rotation than the Braves is inane to me.
    Again, if you'd read my explanations, you'd understand that these power rankings are based on who the better team is, and the results thus far. The Mets are ranked higher on my preseason rankings, and are my pick to win the division. However, they are only two spots above the Braves, and Atlanta's early success moves them ahead. The fact that the Braves are #1 is purely a result of their early success, as they are sixth in my preseason rankings behind the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Mets, and Dodgers.

Vazquez is better than Pelfrey, and I'd gladly make any sort of wager that he'll have a better season. Jurrjens (not the lotion, actually) is pretty similar to Pelfrey, except that his success came quicker and he strikes more guys out. I also think Jurrjens is better, especially when you consider his ERA moved up about half a point to the 3.75 range in the last couple months, largely a result of wearing down after throwing the most innings of his career, and carrying the entire Braves rotation on his back. It could be lower than Pelfrey's at least as easily as it could be above it.

Fact is, the Braves have four guys who can challenge for an under-4.00 ERA, and I'm not sure the Mets have that. Three, I guess, if Maine can have a little better year. Wouldn't bet on Perez.

The Mets lineup has better players and worse players than the Braves, so comparing them would take more effort than I'm willing to put forth right now, as I'm about to go to sleep. Let's just say they're both good, although the Mets probably have more holes. But that's an opinion, and you're allowed to disagree.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bwitty24 View Post
    With some good managing today the Yankees would be 4-2. I cannot believe Joe did not bring in Mariano Rivera, THE CLOSER, to get the last 4 outs of the game.
    Yeah, I saw the way that worked out and I was completely confused. Honestly, I'm not sure why Girardi pulled Marte, as he got two outs and gave up no baserunners. Obviously the lefty-righty matchups weren't in his favor, but when someone is getting outs, leave them in. Or at least bring in Rivera. Got to agree with you here, this one's on the coach.

MLB ERA

I'm sorry daddy, I didn't realize there was one. I just thought I would simplify things a little so people would understand how the rankings were developed, and since they didn't get it the first time, I thought I'd throw a little color into it. Sorry if you can't deal with it
    I'm not the one who belittled others' intelligence for disagreeing with me.

Your rankings were well thought out and it was an awesome post, no joke.

People are going to disagree with you whenever you make rankings. It's the nature of the beast, and their opinion isn't worth any less just because they don't take the time to write up an entire list like you did.

But, it was an awesome job, I was half being facetious when I posted about the Padres being ranked too low. I'm certainly not getting my hopes up right now.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Vazquez is better than Pelfrey, and I'd gladly make any sort of wager that he'll have a better season. Jurrjens (not the lotion, actually) is pretty similar to Pelfrey, except that his success came quicker and he strikes more guys out. I also think Jurrjens is better, especially when you consider his ERA moved up about half a point to the 3.75 range in the last couple months, largely a result of wearing down after throwing the most innings of his career, and carrying the entire Braves rotation on his back. It could be lower than Pelfrey's at least as easily as it could be above it.

Fact is, the Braves have four guys who can challenge for an under-4.00 ERA, and I'm not sure the Mets have that. Three, I guess, if Maine can have a little better year. Wouldn't bet on Perez.

The Mets lineup has better players and worse players than the Braves, so comparing them would take more effort than I'm willing to put forth right now, as I'm about to go to sleep. Let's just say they're both good, although the Mets probably have more holes. But that's an opinion, and you're allowed to disagree.
    I understand your opinions, but I respectfully disagree. The notion that Javier Vazquez is better than Pelfrey is something I cannot agree with. He has had a very very average career at best. He is a journeyman because he is not really a 2 starter, he's more of a 3-4. Pelfrey is not an outstanding 2 starter(as of this second), but his numbers last year were outstanding with a 3.72 ERA, over 200 IP. Considering he had only 90 IP prior to last year, I would say that's pretty quick success. Maybe Jurrjens' success came quicker, but I'm not sure it was significantly more impressive. Jurrjens had an ERA .04 lower, about the same WHIP, and a very similar K/BB. So, I'd put Jurrjens on par with Pelfrey. I'd say Maine to Vazquez is a closer comparison. I'd give Kawakami a SLIGHT edge over Oliver Perez. I don't know who the Braves' 5 starter is, but let's say I give him the edge of Livan Hernandez. Santana is much better than Lowe, even though Lowe is very good. So, on the whole, I'd say the rotations are about the same, if the Mets aren't better.

In the lineup, it'd take way too much analysis for me at this time of night, but I will agree that there are spots where both teams have the advantage. It too is close. The bullpen is an interesting spot, because I'm not sure what to expect from the Mets bullpen. However, I also don't know who in the Braves' pen is a sure thing. Moylan/Boyer/Gonzalez/Soriano are talented, but not unhittable, and will probably be a step below K-Rod/Putz/Green. So, I'd say that on the whole the Mets are a better team.

I understand that your rankings factor in a lot on this first week. I'm just saying that I thought your rationale was a little bit weak, since I disagree with you on the Mets' rotation being as glaring a weakness as you made it out to be.

MLB ERA

Well I just had a great argument here, all typed out and everything, and then I accidentally hit the back button on my browser. FML.

The gist of it was that statistically, Pelfrey is almost identical to Vazquez, but he's much younger and on the upswing, therefore I give him the slight edge. Just trust me on that. I don't feel like typing it all out again.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    I understand your opinions, but I respectfully disagree. The notion that Javier Vazquez is better than Pelfrey is something I cannot agree with. He has had a very very average career at best. He is a journeyman because he is not really a 2 starter, he's more of a 3-4. Pelfrey is not an outstanding 2 starter(as of this second), but his numbers last year were outstanding with a 3.72 ERA, over 200 IP. Considering he had only 90 IP prior to last year, I would say that's pretty quick success. Maybe Jurrjens' success came quicker, but I'm not sure it was significantly more impressive. Jurrjens had an ERA .04 lower, about the same WHIP, and a very similar K/BB. So, I'd put Jurrjens on par with Pelfrey. I'd say Maine to Vazquez is a closer comparison. I'd give Kawakami a SLIGHT edge over Oliver Perez. I don't know who the Braves' 5 starter is, but let's say I give him the edge of Livan Hernandez. Santana is much better than Lowe, even though Lowe is very good. So, on the whole, I'd say the rotations are about the same, if the Mets aren't better.

In the lineup, it'd take way too much analysis for me at this time of night, but I will agree that there are spots where both teams have the advantage. It too is close. The bullpen is an interesting spot, because I'm not sure what to expect from the Mets bullpen. However, I also don't know who in the Braves' pen is a sure thing. Moylan/Boyer/Gonzalez/Soriano are talented, but not unhittable, and will probably be a step below K-Rod/Putz/Green. So, I'd say that on the whole the Mets are a better team.

I understand that your rankings factor in a lot on this first week. I'm just saying that I thought your rationale was a little bit weak, since I disagree with you on the Mets' rotation being as glaring a weakness as you made it out to be.
    I bet against Javier Vasquez having below a 3.9 era, however i do believe that he is definitely better than Mike Pelfrey for sure... i don't consider a 3.7 era, outstanding to say the least. And Pelfrey will definitely take a step backward.

My Braves vs Mets Comparision

Santana = Lowe (remember Lowe is my NL CY Young winner)
    Pelfrey < Vasquez
    Maine << Jurrjens
    Perez > Kawakami
    Hernandez < Hanson (my best long term guess at the Braves 5)

So I got the Braves Pitching at + 3

And I also think although K-Rod is more proven than gonzo, putz has been shaky the last 18 months, and green isn't unhittable, I'd much rather have moylan/boyer/soriano than putz/green

So I'll call the bullpens a wash.

Were I do think the Mets CURRENTLY have the advantage is in the lineup. I think Kotchman will be terrible again and the Braves outside of Chipper/McCann don't have anyone that scares me... now if Schafer, Franceour, Escobar develop into their potential then the Braves will have this advantage too but for the moment the lineup with Reyes/Wright/Beltran/Delgado is much better than the Braves... somewhere in the +4 to +5 range giving the Mets the slight advantage

But to say the Mets Rotation is better is very laughable
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

That the Marlins aren't in the top ten is a ridiculous omission!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    Santana = Lowe
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahaha
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Did CJ just tell me that Santana=Lowe? Really? The best pitcher in the game(at age 30) who is left handed, has 2 Cy Youngs, and won 16 games last year despite his bullpen blowing 7 leads, and has a 3.10 career ERA and 110 wins is equal to a 36 year old guy who has 127 wins and a 3.74 ERA.

In what way is Lowe even CLOSE to being as good as Santana, CJ? Because he won a ring in Boston? Oh right, that means that F***ing Kevin Millar is as good as Carlos Delgado, and Bill Mueller might be better than Wright? Think about it for a minute, and you'll realize how wrong the "Santana=Lowe" statement was.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Not saying that Lowe is better than Santana but Santana's elbow does scare me this year. So far so good thought but like CJ, I have Lowe winning the Cy Young.

MLB ERA

Santana's elbow is fine. He had soreness. It's gone now. Do you really believe that the Mets would risk him getting severely injured? I can't possibly believe that the team would just hope for the best, they would be absolutely sure he's fine.

Just curious, What makes you guys pick Lowe for the Cy Young? He's had one REALLY good year(2002), and a bunch of slightly better than league average years since then. He's coming to a better hitting division, and he's older than each of those years(obviously), so what makes him suddenly be the best pitcher in the league? Personally, I don't see it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast