Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Beltran has been the most dissapointing Met

AA ERA

Carlos Beltran has been the most dissapointing Met

When the Mets signed Carlos Beltran, it was thought that he would be the face of the franchise and the centerpiece of the new Mets cable network next year. It was thought that he could have a big year for the Mets. The signing was a good one. With that said, he needs to start producing and start playing like the star he is. Mets fans have yet to see what he did in Houston and KC. I am suprised that he has looked ordinary at best. He is not doing the little things. There are times where he has struggled defensively. He is normally clutch with RISP, but he has not gotten it done so far. He has been as clutch as Roberto Alomar was with the Mets.

I am just shocked the media in NY has yet to rip Beltran. They gave Robbie Alomar and Jason Giambi zero rope in their first two months with their respective NY teams so why should Beltran get kid gloves.

Mets got a tough two-week strech coming up and quite frankly, it's time for him and that team to get the job done. Beltran is supposed to shine against the creme de la creme and the Mets are going to be facing these teams in the next two weeks.

Now is a great place for him to start. The excuses are over. The adjustment, the weather, and everything should go out the window. It's time for him to start living up to his contract.

ERA
    Call NASA
    If Beltran was a YANKEE signing and he performed at the level he is performing, the media, the lowlife YANKEE haters, etc would be crucifying him, Mr.S., and the YANKEES. But be it as it is, Beltran did not qualify to be a YANKEE.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    he's a met, thats why he isnt getting crucified. i mean, who really cares about the mets in the grand scheme of things?

that being said, anyone with a half of a brain knew he wasnt going to perform halfway to the level of the playoffs. He's merely playing to his career norms (with the exception of the steals). Beltran just picked the right time to get hot last year, though he did sabotage the astros efforts in september by playing pretty poorly. he really isnt all that special of a player.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500
    he's a met, thats why he isnt getting crucified. i mean, who really cares about the mets in the grand scheme of things?

that being said, anyone with a half of a brain knew he wasnt going to perform halfway to the level of the playoffs. He's merely playing to his career norms (with the exception of the steals). Beltran just picked the right time to get hot last year, though he did sabotage the astros efforts in september by playing pretty poorly. he really isnt all that special of a player.
    My thoughts exactly, good job rockin! Rep++

Rockin's completely right. New York isn't a Mets city. It's a Yankee city, especially in the media. It's kinda like Chicago; the Yanks are the Cubs and the Mets are the White s0x. However, unlike the White s0x, the Mets are losing.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I think everyone in this forum knew Beltran was extremely overpaid and over-hyped. This is not a shock to me.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Maybe Beltran will surprise some people AFTER the All-Star break.

Read this: http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...rts-columnists

He said he'll be a bargain once the Mets reach the playoffs.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500

Then how come Robbie Alomar got crucified.

No he wasn't going to do what he did in the playoffs, but is it too much to ask to get a big hit in a tie game or a low-scoring game.

Quote Originally Posted by joek
    But be it as it is, Beltran did not qualify to be a YANKEE.
    Add in the story of Boras calling the Yanks willing to take the same deal but for $100 million as opposed to $117 million the Mets offered and you've got a cruel storyline for Mets management/fans.

Bad enough Boras made the Mets pay a premium for him, but to have him perform poorly AND know that he was willing to play for your nemesis for LESS...ouch!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Beltran is hitting in a predominatly pitchers park. You cant expect him to repeat last seasons numbers. That will be tough to repeat. He is a better 2nd half player, plus the Mets are in a very tough divison from top to bottom.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    His power numbers are better on the road but his OBP is weak. He is a bust thus far but he is keeping Pedro happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    he needs to start producing and start playing like the star he is. Mets fans have yet to see what he did in Houston and KC.
    Beltrain's career average: 26 HR, 103 RBI, .283 AVG.

Projected for 2005: 20 HR, 88 RBI, .264 AVG.

I'd have to agree with Steak's statement.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    Then how come Robbie Alomar got crucified.

No he wasn't going to do what he did in the playoffs, but is it too much to ask to get a big hit in a tie game or a low-scoring game.
    because robbie alomar was a complete jag. I mean, no one ever forgot when he spit on the umpire when he was with cleveland, not to mention being surly the last couple years. so he had no credit saved up. Beltran on the other hand is regarded as a good guy, so he's going to get a longer rope with both the media and the public than alomar will ever get.

plus, remember, he hit .267 last year with those 38 homers. So he wasnt very high average and he struggled in late august/all of september. So anyone with half a brain realized that he wouldnt be all that hot when he switched to a total pitchers park. You had to know that the power numbers were going to be between 20-30 and that he wouldnt hit 38 homers again. Not to mention he is hurt, which isnt helping matters.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Beltran having a slow start to the season? So what's new? He'll be fine, though he isn't going to ever be the megastar some think he might be.

AA ERA
    Okay, rockin. Then how come Bobby Bonilla got crucified in the first week of the season when he first signed with the Mets in 1991. Bobby Bo was a very nice guy in Pittsburgh back then till he got fazed by the media to the point where he would threaten reporters and writers. He got booed in the home opener for striking out. My thing is if Bo and Robbie can get crucified and booed right away, I would like to think Carlos should get the same treatment. I think he has been getting kid gloves by the fans and the media.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast