Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB to aid Type A free agents?

MLB ERA

Free Agent MLB to aid Type A free agents?

La Velle E. Neal of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune suggests MLB might allow for a workaround for Type A free agents:

There have been rumblings that Major League Baseball, which is aware that Type A free agents like Juan Cruz and infielders Orlando Hudson and Orlando Cabrera have been hindered by the compensation rules, are willing to make it easier for teams to sign then trade those free agents. For example, Arizona could sign Cruz to a contract that the Twins are willing to take on. The Twins and Diamondbacks would then work out a trade for Cruz. The Twins could land Cruz without losing a draft pick.

No word on what MLB would do to facilitate these sign n' trades. Perhaps they'd just give their approval.
    Neal notes that the Twins have discussed Cruz internally, but wouldn't be willing to give up their #23 pick in the June draft for him. Also keep in mind that the Twins just brought in reliever Luis Ayala.
    This is an excellent idea. I really like it
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Re: MLB to aid Type A free agents?

Better than screwing over those players. There's no way a team is going to give up a first round pick for a likely MIDDLE reliever. If Cruz was a proven closer, yes, but not as a MR. Guys like Hudson are type A, and probably should be, and he should get signed. I think he suffers from the talented, big market teams not having a spot for him. Cabrera on the other hand....I just don't know how he is a type A?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cabrera scored 93 Runs, hit 33 doubles and played good defense. That's why he is a Type A. I don;t like the idea of trading either.

MLB ERA

Can you explain why reefer?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Because its unfair to other teams that did have to give up draft picks. If they want to do this, they must wait til next year. If the Twins want a reliever without giving up a draft pick, re-sign Reyes.

MLB ERA

Compensation is there for a reason, the players need to be smart about it and take the offer. Why should we award players for stupidity? If they know they are middle of the road type A's, then take the arbitration offer!
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

For example, Arizona could sign Cruz to a contract that the Twins are willing to take on. The Twins and Diamondbacks would then work out a trade for Cruz. The Twins could land Cruz without losing a draft pick.
    But what if the Twins have second thoughts about Cruz? Then the Diamondbacks would be stuck with a contract that they can't afford, allowing other teams to low-ball them with minor leaguers that aren't close to first round draft talent.

MLB ERA

I believe I read in the article that if a trade doesn't get done, the player would remain a FA....

Although, I think the point is that the D-Backs would have a tentative deal with a team, sign Cruz to a deal they agree with, and then the trade would have been agreed to beforehand.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Just cut off the compensation rules on March 1. If a type A signs after then, his former team doesn't get compensation.

March 1 also keeps teams from waiting to sign guys, because they're missing 2 weeks of valuable ST time with a new pitching/hitting coach. Seems simple enough to me.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I could live with that. Good idea Wilton.

MLB ERA

To me losing 2 weeks of spring training would be worth not paying a 1st round pick. Nothing is stopping the teams from talking to a player, coming up with a deal, and signing it 5 minutes after the deadline. I don't think that would be enough to keep the teams getting the comp from getting screwed

MLB ERA

I think teams should be able to negotiate sign-trades just like a franchised guy in the NFL can be traded for less than the compensation a franchised player could get, that being said you can't change the rules mid-year.
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If teams want these players so badly, they can't afford to wait til March to sign them. That's what's stopping teams from doing that. They can come up with a deal all they want but if its not in writing, another team can swoop in and make a deal. Players don't keep their word as we saw from the Furcal debacle.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    If teams want these players so badly, they can't afford to wait til March to sign them. That's what's stopping teams from doing that. They can come up with a deal all they want but if its not in writing, another team can swoop in and make a deal. Players don't keep their word as we saw from the Furcal debacle.
    Yes well the risk is most likely worth keeping their 1st round pick as opposed to not signing them at all

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Not if you want a certain player. Cannot afford to wait that long on the chance he will still be there four months after free agency had begun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast