Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-Rod admits using steroids

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Player A-Rod admits using steroids

His voice shaking at times, Alex Rodriguez met head-on allegations that he tested positive for steroids six years ago, telling ESPN on Monday that he did take performance-enhancing drugs while playing for the Texas Rangers during a three-year period beginning in 2001.

"When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure. I needed to perform, and perform at a high level every day," Rodriguez told ESPN's Peter Gammons in an interview in Miami Beach, Fla. "Back then, [baseball] was a different culture. It was very loose. I was young, I was stupid, I was naïve. I wanted to prove to everyone I was worth being one of the greatest players of all time.

"I did take a banned substance. For that, I'm very sorry and deeply regretful."

Rodriguez's admission comes 48 hours after Sports Illustrated reported that Rodriguez was on a list of 104 players who tested positive for banned substances in 2003, the year when Major League Baseball conducted survey tests to see if mandatory, random drug-testing was needed in the sport.

Sources who know about the testing results told SI that Rodriguez tested positive for testosterone and Primobolan, an anabolic steroid. In his ESPN interview, Rodriguez said he did not know exactly which substance or substances he had taken. In 2003, there were no penalties for a positive result.

"Overall, I felt a tremendous pressure to play, and play really well" in Texas, the New York Yankees third baseman said. "I had just signed this enormous contract I felt like I needed something, a push, without over-investigating what I was taking, to get me to the next level.

"I am sorry for my Texas years. I apologize to the fans of Texas."

Rodriguez, who joined the Yankees for the 2004 season after a trade from Texas, said "all my years in New York have been clean." He also described the recent turn of events as the biggest challenge of his life but added it felt good to be honest about what he's done in the past.

"It's been a rough 15 months here for me," Rodriguez said. "I was stupid for three years. I was very, very stupid. The more honest we can all be, the quicker we can get baseball [back] to where it needs to be."

Rodriguez said he stopped taking substances after injuring himself at spring training in 2003 with the Rangers.

"It wasn't a real dramatic day. I started experimenting with things that, today, are not legal," he said, "that today are not accepted ... ever since that incident happened, I realized that I don't need any of it."

He said the culture earlier this decade of taking performance-enhancing substances was "prevalent." "There were a lot of people doing a lot of different things," Rodriguez said, noting that he wasn't specifically pointing out the Rangers.

Rodriguez said he was told by Gene Orza, the chief operating officer of the MLB Players' Association, that he might, or might not, have tested positive in the 2003 survey. That conversation happened during the 2004 season. A source told ESPN on Saturday that Rodriguez knew he had failed the test.

"I had never heard anything since," he said. "Whatever I was experimenting with in Texas might have been OK."

Rodriguez also said of his 2007 interview with Katie Couric on "60 Minutes," when he denied ever using steroids, that "at the time, I wasn't being truthful with myself. How could I be truthful with Katie Couric or CBS?"
    Yes, his legacy will be forever damaged...but this was the smartest possible thing he could have done. The players who have been forgiven by the fans (e.g. Pettitte, Giambi) are the ones who have admitted and apologized.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Re: A-Rod admits using steroids

Honestly.....A-Rod had no choice. Pettitte/Giambi vs. Clemens/Bonds has shown us the power of the truth vs. speculation. Props to him for his admission, and I have no reason not to believe him when he says he's been clean since (he averaged 12 more HR's in Arlington - yes, I know it's Arlington, but it's 12 HR's) 2003.

He still has a very uphill battle about this controversy. But he has taken the right first step.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

I'm proud of him coming out and just admitting it. He's done the right thing by just saying "yeah, I did it".

Now as fans, for the most part we can move on. He's still going to catch tons of flak for it from opposing fans and even Yankee fans, but for the most part I feel baseball, A-Rod, and the fans can move on from this now.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Arod did the right thing and did it immediately which is going to benefit him greatly. This won't stop the media hound dogs and this story is definitely not going away. But if people are going to buy that Arod didn't know what he was taking then the same has to go for Bonds doesn't it? I cannot buy the "I was young a naive" excuse. He knew exactly what he was doing and that was cheating.

MLB ERA

Still doesn't forgive what he did, but it's the first step to "recovery". At least he had the balls to come clean unlike Clemens or Bonds. He definitely took the right first step.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    which wouldnt be any different than most people who are caught. so even if that was the case, i dont necessarily hold it against him. If he does move on and do what he says (preach the evils of steroids to kids) then that would be a significant step.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A-Rod says he only juiced up because of the immense pressure of playing for the ... TEXAS RANGERS.

But that's okay. Once he was out of that enormous pressure packed situation in Arlington and arrived in relative obscurity in New York City, he cleaned up.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    A-Rod says he only juiced up because of the immense pressure of playing for the ... TEXAS RANGERS.
    I mean, he did have the largest contract in MLB history...

MLB ERA

What do you expect? Him to come out and admit to steroid use if nobody knows?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    What do you expect? Him to come out and admit to steroid use if nobody knows?
    He had a prime opportunity to do it last year on CBS and didn't. Neyer makes a good point on how he apologized.

And Arod still has the largest baseball contract. No past tense needed.

MLB ERA

Tell me seriously. If some crazy guy comes out and names you a cheater, whether you were or not, without any evidence to suggest he's right............WHY IN GODS NAME would you say you did it? Especially with everything riding on it like he had? You cannot honestly tell me you would admit to it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

What crazy guy?? Hope you're not referring to Jose Canseco who has been prven right at every turn. And why do it? To avoid what he is going through right now. Pretty easy answer.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

What crazy guy?? Hope you're not referring to Jose Canseco who has been prven right at every turn. And why do it? To avoid what he is going through right now. Pretty easy answer.
    nah, he exaggerated the truth, though there was significant truth.

he's not really crazy for the steroid tales. he's just crazy with his personal life.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

That I can agree with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast