Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The best defensive OF in the majors is...

Red Sox The best defensive OF in the majors is...

Ichiro? Edmonds? Griffey?

Nah, it's none of those. It is none other than...

Manny Ramirez.

I mean, all the meaningful, traditional stats say he is the best defensive OF in baseball.

First of all, he has been perfect. He doesn't even have a single error this year, an amazing accomplishment and it shows why his team won the WS, making him the best LF in the game.

However, the more important thing is that he has more assists than any other OF with an astounding nine so far this year. That's insane. That's 1.5x the number of the supposed best arm in baseball in Ichiro Suzuki!

I mean, how can you dispute that claim? Please. Best defensive OF in baseball.

http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

AA ERA
    I'd tried to give you rep because that is CLASSIC, but uhhhh I have to spread it around, kinda like a STD.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by awefullspellare
    I'd tried to give you rep because that is CLASSIC, but uhhhh I have to spread it around, kinda like a STD.
    Dude, I've come across plenty of girls with STD's, and this claim is total BS. Just because she gave an STD to one dude doesn't mean she wasn't going to give an STD to me. So I passed.

MLB ERA
    Well, Ramirez has crappy range, a tiny area to field, and a forgiving official scorer. The assists are a product of teams challenging him because they know his arm isn't great.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    In all seriousness, Ichiro, Vlad, or Edmonds. Even though Edmonds is somewhat overrated, he is more of a 'web gem' guy instead of the threat that Ich or Vlad is. Everyone else isn't even that close.

MLB ERA
    How can you be the best defensive outfielder when you don't even play center?
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Rookie ERA
    Were's Andruw Jones at on your list?

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    Were's Andruw Jones at on your list?
    Seriously. Andruw Jones is so good out there it sickens me. God dammit, I wish I could play baseball like that.

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Mark Kotsay is extremely underrated.

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    When I read the title of this thread, I read it as the best defensive outfield. However, I see everyone is responding to a specific outfield(er). I like the outfield question better and I vote for the Angels outfield as the best defensive outfield......GA, Finely and Vlad.
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Well, Ramirez has crappy range, a tiny area to field, and a forgiving official scorer. The assists are a product of teams challenging him because they know his arm isn't great.
    You do know that assists prove who has the best arm because he throws out the most guys, right? I mean, duh. You're just using fabricated situations and unprovable facets of an athlete to try and reinforce your point.

The best fielder is clearly Manny, since you can prove assists and outs on the field. What is "Range Factor"? It's a made up stat.

MLB ERA
    Dude, range factor is so passe. We use Ultimate Zone Rating now. It's be definition the last zone rating you'll ever need.

"Ultimate" Zone Rating? You gotta be making stuff up now. Am I supposed to take any stat with the word "ultimate" before it seriously? Now, c'mon.

It's all about Manny catching and throwing. Wait, that's pitching, but nevertheless, I'll apply it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    However, the more important thing is that he has more assists than any other OF with an astounding nine so far this year. That's insane. That's 1.5x the number of the supposed best arm in baseball in Ichiro Suzuki!

That's because ML players have wisened up and decided NOT to run Ichiro anymore. This is one of those things that cannot be categorized into stats.

Dude, just about EVERYONE is better than Manny at OF defense. S***, all of his fellow OFers are better than him.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Tony Womack is a better LFer than Manny. I know that hurts but so does the truth. And by the way, I would take Edmonds over Andrue Jones just for the fact that Edmonds has a better arm.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast