Thread: Bonds Catches Slight Break

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

MLB Bonds Catches Slight Break

As the Barry Bonds perjury case continues to move toward a March jury trial, the judge on Monday dismissed three of the 15 counts but left intact the bulk of the government's charges against the former Giants slugger.

Judge Susan Illston dropped one count because it was duplicitous, another because Bonds' answer before the BALCO grand jury was too vague and a third because the government's question was ambiguous. She also ordered two other counts merged.

Illston denied Bonds' lawyers' request to dismiss several other counts.

In the end, it appears Bonds will face 11 counts -- 10 for perjury and one for obstruction of justice stemming from his December 2003 testimony in the steroids case.

Monday's ruling was largely procedural and isn't expected to impact either potential sentencing in the case or the overall crux of the prosecution: Did Bonds lie to a federal grand jury when he denied taking performance-enhancing drugs?

Still, Illston's decision does represent another blemish on the government's prosecution of the home run king. After indicting Bonds a year ago, the prosecutors were ordered to rewrite their indictment because Illston ruled it was both ambiguous and repetitive in many places.

After refiling, Bonds' lawyers again filed motions attacking the indictment, resulting in Illston's latest ruling. In addition, the government has been ordered to tweak another of the counts because it forgot to include the word "materiality" in the charge.
    I can only imagine how long this will be dragged out. Pedro Gomez is shopping for suits right as I type this. He cannot wait!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Bonds Catches Slight Break

Judge in Barry Bonds' rules pieces of evidence inadmissible - ESPN

He keeps catching breaks. Larry Izzo from the Patriots will now be testifying at the Bonds trial. Looks like the Patriots were using steroids in all those championship seasons.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Judge in Barry Bonds' rules pieces of evidence inadmissible - ESPN

He keeps catching breaks. Larry Izzo from the Patriots will now be testifying at the Bonds trial. Looks like the Patriots were using steroids in all those championship seasons.
    of course there were steroids being used by the patriots in the super bowl. every NFL team has more than a few juicers on it. but of course its perfectly acceptable that the NFL does it while a MLB guy does it and they get crucified.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

And its why I say the MLB has the smartest fan base and worst media coverage.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

With as many charges against him, I didn't expect anything less than this. If anything, I thought a few more charges might be dropped as it seemed the strategy was to throw as many charges against him in the hopes that a few would nail him... as done with anyone who egregiously breaks the law and lies about it.

Also does anyone else expect Bonds to eventually just adopt Pedro Gomes?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am sure they having matching tattoos by now