Thread: Olympic Bean Ball Results In Injury

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

News Olympic Bean Ball Results In Injury

Matt LaPorta has been hospitalized after being hit on the helmet by a pitch Monday during the United States' win over China in the Olympics.
    LaPorta knocked China's catcher out of the game during a fifth-inning collision at the plate and the next inning Nate Schierholtz collided with his replacement. China manager Jim Lefebvre was ejected from the game and LaPorta was hit by a fastball in the seventh inning, as the ball deflected off his shoulder into his helmet. Pitcher Zhen Xu was ejected and the U.S. team was hit by a total of five pitches in a 9-1 victory. "He never lost consciousness," Indians general manager Mark Shapiro said. "He's been held for observation. He will have spent at least a day in the hospital." Shapiro declined to say whether LaPorta would rejoin the Olympic team once he's released from the hospital.
    First America is accused of playing dirty when they weren't and now the Chinese are being bush league. I love it! Go America!! LaPorta doesn't sound like he is that injured so Indians fans can relax. Five batters plunked compared to two catchers getting demolished at home plate. America will take it and take the win. What the hell is Lefebvre doing coaching the Chinese?

MLB ERA

Re: Olympic Bean Ball Results In Injury

Wow....i don't even know what to say. A team comes into your country to play OLYMPIC baseball and this happens. China should be ashamed of themselves, and there should be disciplinary action by the International Olympic Committee. They pride themselves on the "spirit of the game" and all that, now it's time to show you mean it. IMO, they should be disqualified. Hitting a player in the head, and hitting 4 other players because you're mad they bowled over 2 of your catchers is utterly ridiculous, and would not be tolerated anywhere, so there's no reason it should be here.

Catchers getting collided into is a legal and common part of the game. If you don't want your catchers to get hurt, tell them to move the f*ck out of the way. Otherwise, it's fair game. This is a disgrace to the game of baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

They did hit LaPorta in the shoulder but was aimed too high no doubt. I too hope for some kind of disciplinary action.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    Hitting a player in the head, and hitting 4 other players because you're mad they bowled over 2 of your catchers is utterly ridiculous, and would not be tolerated anywhere, so there's no reason it should be here.
    He was hit in the shoulder which is normal. The ball deflected and hit his head.

Catchers getting collided into is a legal and common part of the game.
    As is getting hit by a pitch.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    He was hit in the shoulder which is normal. The ball deflected and hit his head.
    if it hit his shoulder, it's close enough to his head that the pitcher clearly with intent threw in the vicinity of his head. that is NOT acceptable.

As is getting hit by a pitch.
    not intentionally throwing at someone. i'm totally against doing that. it should never happen. there is never a good time to throw at someone. especially at their head.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Lefebvre is not the only US coach on China's coaching staff. There is also a ex mlb pitcher on the staff as well. Baseball is a game started in the USA. So ex coaches and players do turn up on non us clubs.

If the clubs have to play again I think it will get even worse..
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

not intentionally throwing at someone. i'm totally against doing that. it should never happen. there is never a good time to throw at someone. especially at their head.
    Whether you like it or not is the question, since it happens all the time in baseball! Just this year alone, there have been 1,274 hit by pitches in MLB. And it wasn't at the head, it was the shoulder, which is part of the body.

MLB ERA

Whether you like it or not is the question, since it happens all the time in baseball! Just this year alone, there have been 1,274 hit by pitches in MLB. And it wasn't at the head, it was the shoulder, which is part of the body.
    it was close enough to the head. i'm not complaining about all those HBP's. i'm talking intentional ones. and the MLB makes sure all pitchers intentionally hitting batters are suspended. now it's time for the IOC to take a stand

MLB ERA

I dunno. I mean, it happens, intentional or not. I think it's stupid and irrational that the Chinese would react this way, but if their players are too wimpy to either take the hit or get out of the way....then let them give us base runners. But if someone were to be seriously hurt, just watch one of our players retaliate. It won't be pretty.

MLB ERA

Matt LaPorta is day-to-day after being hit on the helmet at the Olympics on Monday.
    LaPorta was taken to the hospital for precautionary tests which came back negative, and he then rode the bus back to the Olympic Village with his teammates. Indians GM Mark Shapiro said earlier that he'd need to spend at least a day in the hospital, but the severity of the injury seems to have been overestimated.
    Sounds like LaPorta is ok. Indians fans breathe a big sigh of relief.

haha man that colision was funny! well its the chineese, what do u expect!...seeing as though Great Britain couldnt make it, and im half american GO USA!
    TBSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2010-present
    Former TSSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2019-2020 163-161 .501
    Former TSSL manager of the Toronto Blue Jays 2018-2019 record- 118-206 % .364
    Former CSSL manager of the San Fransisco giants 42-40 % .512

overall record 323-407 pct: .442

www.youtube.com/packersrock58
    christopher_stone_1@msn.com

MLB ERA

This is just a disgrace to Olympic baseball. I mean, you don't see players barreling catchers anymore, but that doesn't make it a dirty play. It's called playing hard. Now, being hit by a pitch is a part of the game, but when it's intentional, there's an issue. I find it interesting that this happened just after the incident the US had with Cuba.

MLB ERA

Did anyone notice that the catcher that got rammed by Nate Schierholtz was named Yang Yang?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Did anyone notice that the catcher that got rammed by Nate Schierholtz was named Yang Yang?
    The dude who got third place in trampoline is named Dong Dong.

MLB ERA

The winner....DK!