Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your honest opinion of closers?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Article What's your honest opinion of closers?

I think there's articles every year that emphasize de valuing the closer role.

ESPN Page 2 - Caple: The most overrated position in sports

Of course, the latest from espn.com is no different. On the heels of the passing of Jerome Holtzman, the position has come under greater fire than recent memory. Blah. I'm stuck hearing about closers and Brett Favre 24-7. Oh and something about Lebron James. Who?

When Jerome Holtzman, a legendary baseball writer and a good man, died two weeks ago, I hoped some closer would celebrate a save by pumping his fist, falling to his knees, pointing to the sky and shouting, "This one is for you, Jerome!"
    The problem is that Holtzman's well-intentioned attempt to measure a reliever's worth has been cheapened, manipulated and bastardized to the point that the save is the most overrated stat in baseball and the closer is the most overrated and replaceable role in American sports.

I'm not knocking guys like Rivera, or the idea that KRod can easily set a new saves record, but I love how scathing the article is. The position has literally become a dime a dozen, look at this year alone.. Salomon Torres, Manny Acosta, and Scott Downs have all been featured closers at one time or another. Not to say relievers aren't important, but why should a guy being tagged as a closer be held in such high regard? How many pitchers have saves in Toronto? I know the braves have trotted out countless number of guys at that position. Anyone wanna tell me what the hell Seattle is doing?
    The current overemphasis on closers developed over years and will not disappear overnight. In this age of 24/7 sports networks and blogs, few teams will risk bucking what has become conventional wisdom by reverting overnight to previous relief strategies. One blown save and the phone lines to the local sports talk show will be tied up for three weeks with irate fans demanding the manager be fired.

"Having lived both sides of it, a closer doesn't seems so important until you don't have one," Beane says. "I know that sounds contradictory but a lot of emotions are tied in with the game. If there's a three-run lead in the ninth and the stats show that you win 97 percent of those games and you're upgrading to only 98 percent with your closer, well, that 1 percent increase is worth it because losing is so painful in that situation."
    He's a hell of a reliever, but this is a great stat:

With 45 saves already, fans are wondering whether Frankie Rodriguez can break Bobby Thigpen's single-season record of 57. The answer is yes, of course, he can, especially if roughly two-thirds of his save opportunities continue to come with a two-run or more lead. K-Rod has yet to appear before the ninth inning.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Re: What's your honest opinion of closers?

I totally agree with Billy Beane. "A closer doesn't seem so important until you don't have one" is so perfect to describe it. I think they're very important.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Did anyone see the Red Sox when they had that BS closer by committee... that worked out real well...lol
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    I totally agree with Billy Beane. "A closer doesn't seem so important until you don't have one" is so perfect to describe it. I think they're very important.
    eh, they're useful, but if you have a very good reliever in your pen, use him when it gets to that point. too many managers are afraid to use their closer when it matters the most. Sometimes the critical point in a game comes in the 7th inning.

The cubs are a good example of the closer/bullpen issue. Their best reliever for all but 3 weeks of the season has been carlos marmol. Lou has been using him in the 6th, 7th, or 8th inning and Lou using him so much is why he stunk in mid june until the break. Whereas Kerry wood has been the closer for most of the season and hasnt been in all the pressure situations.

Use your best reliever in the tightest situations and you'll be better off.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

I think the closer is important for any team that wants to win

as for the Jays this season, they weren't bad enough to call on Armando Benitez to be a closer
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

MLB ERA

Closer is a title, not a skillset.

Rockin500 hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. Your best reliever should be used when needed, be it the 7th, 8th or 9th. If there are runners on 2nd and 3rd, and one out in a game you lead 3-2 in the 7th, and you leave him sitting on the bench and bring in someone else and the other reliever gives up both runs and you don't score again thenwhat good did it do you leaving your best reliever on the bench.

Here's a situation for you...
    Red Sox are playing the Angels... 7th inning, Scot Shields comes in the game with 1 out, guys on 2nd and 3rd that he inherited with a 2-1 lead. He strikes out Ortiz, and then Lowell grounds to short. 9th inning rolls around, it's now 3-1 and the Angels bring in KRod to face the bottom of the order... Coco Crisp, Varitek and Lugo who he manages to work through with ease. Who should get the save? IMO, Shields saved the game back in the 7th. Krod came in to a gravy situation, Shields is the one that came in the "tight spot"

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I couldn't disagree more

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    I couldn't disagree more
    I suppose you, I, and Joe Borowski will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

lol aint that the truth. i agree with ya.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

I never said all the ones in place today are fit for the job haha

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I couldn't agree more.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

The one thing I will say is, for whatever reason, certain guys don't pitch as well in non-save situations - Mariano this year, Billy Wagner, Trevor Hoffman, etc. It sounds stupid, but certain guys almost need to pitch the 9th. Regardless, I don't think they're as completely important as some people make them out to be.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

closers should be terminated

MLB ERA

Mo is the best example. He's given up like 7 runs in 20 or so innings in non-save situations, and only 1 in about 35 innings of save situations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast