View Poll Results: Will the Red Sox make the playoffs now that Manny is gone?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Bay is also good

7 36.84%
  • No, Manny was the key to their success

12 63.16%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do The Red Sox Make The Playoffs?

MLB ERA

Re: Do The Red Sox Make The Playoffs?

Every pen is subject to blow ups. It's really hard to compare them I think. The Sox pen is actually pretty stable if you ask me. The Mets....idk, they've had their ups and downs.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

It's not about supporting the Mets bullpen, I just don't see why this was brought up. It has nothing to do with anything here.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    And also, I'd take Santana(the most dominant pitcher today), Maine and Perez(2 upcoming STUDS in the rotation), Pedro(a proven winner), and Pelfrey(a soon to be star, who just won pitcher of the month).

as opposed to Beckett(a stud), Dice-K(pretty good, but walks WAY too many batters), Lester is darn good, but Buchholz, Masterson, and Wakefield are just ok.
    Tell me your kidding me... 2 upcoming studs, haha Maine has a 4.13 era and k/bb ratio of less than 2:1 (he also has a rotator cuff injury so he might be out a while), Perez is just about the same with a whip of 1.4 and an era over 4... now lets compare that to what i consider an up and coming stud like lester who has an ERA of 3.1 and whip of 1.3, k/bb ratio of over 2 to 1, thats a stud... i can find 4 era guys anywhere... And when pedro puts 4 starts together in a row without getting hurt let me know...

and the Wake guy you say is only okay has a much better era and whip (3.8 and 1.2 respectably) than maine or perez... so don't try to argue that your rotation is better than ours cause it simply isn't

Now i get to Johan who you say is the most dominant pitcher today, my definition of a dominant pitcher is someone who has a good era and wins a lot of games for his club (aka Webb and Haren) but Johan is only 9-7... a true dominant starter wins games for his club even without offensive support

Now I would agree Johan is the best starter on either of the 2 clubs but he isn't that much better than Jon Lester or Dice-K...

btw masterson's era is lower than maine's and perez's too

So please, don't gimme your homerific junk... the Sox have the better rotation by far, the middle relief is about even, maybe a slight edge to the mets right now, but we dominate you in the closer department.

If the Sox and Mets played 100 times the sox would win 65, and if they were to play a 7 game series the Red Sox would win.
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

You're basing everything on one year samples. Lets be real, here.

PS: Paps dominates Wagner in the closer role?

Paplebon: 2.18 ERA, 4 blown saves, .90 WHIP
    Wagner: 1.96 ERA, 6 blown saves, .83 WHIP

Not exactly domination

MLB ERA

You're looking at stats where the NL is the better hitting league this year. Of course the ERA's are going to be off. The point is Dice-K is a 9 year veteran(including japan), as compared to guys like Maine and Pelfrey who are in their 2nd and 3rd full seasons)

MLB ERA

Dice-K isn't the guy i'm saying is a young stud... its lester who i'm calling the young stud, dice-k isn't a good example due to japan but lester is the classic definition of young stud

and wagner is 27/33 and paps is 30/34... the era and whip don't matter closers get paid to close out the game... and paps is better at it
    MSLSeattle0001

MLB ERA

Lester is a young stud. Lester is great. However, you're underrating Perez, Maine, Pelfrey. Masterson and Buchholz have a LOT to prove, Wakefield is mediocre.

AAA ERA

Manny has done this before and he would have turned it on like he always does, he wuld have been paying the final 2 months for a contract so he wouldn't have kept loafing. This was an awful trade for the Sox and they still have a shot at the postseason but they'll fall short.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Manny has done this before and he would have turned it on like he always does, he wuld have been paying the final 2 months for a contract so he wouldn't have kept loafing. This was an awful trade for the Sox and they still have a shot at the postseason but they'll fall short.
    I agree with you that it was an awful trade, and that they will probably fall short. However I disagree with you that he wouldn't have kept loafing, and even if he didn't. What kind of message does that send when a player is obviously not playing hard and is loafing and you don't discipline him. The Red Sox had to do this, for the chemistry of their team and for management to keep it's integrity.
    Let's face it, this was going to be his last season in Boston, cause they certainly weren't gonna pick up his option. So look at the loss of Manny as the rest of this year only. I don't feel they were gonna make it even with him, and even if they did... The Angels are the class of the AL. And if they would have traded Ramirez and had Moss or Coco play left everyday... Red Sox Nation would have went beserk about them giving up. So they had to get a respectable player to replace him in left. Their hands were tied. Good-bye Manny Ramirez, a great ballplayer, but unfortunately not a very good person!!!!

First of all CJ is a super homer.
    Second of all, I enjoy how you (CJ) mention everyone's ERA except for Johan. I guess Sidney Ponson must be good because he is 6-2 and the Yankees score 1 billion runs for him. Yea, I would say he is much better than Johan.
    Thirdly, Beckett must suck too because he is 9-8 with a 4.15 ERA.
    Fourthly, if you want to discuss K/BB see your boy Dice K. He is really stellar in that department. Also, his WHIP is pretty avg.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, STOP BEING A HOMER!!!

MLB ERA

1) I'm not a homer, our rotation is about average... i might have slight Red Sox bias but its not terrible
    2) Johan's era is at 3... only slighty better than lester...he's great but gimme Webb, Haren, Peavy, Lester, Harden, Dempster over him right now
    2b) Its not all about W/L record, era and whip counts for something, its a combination but the combination for maine/perez isn't that hot. Dice-K has the W/L and the era, his K/BB sucks but he also has given up fewer than 80 hits which helps a lot.
    3) I'd call Beckett our 3rd best starter at best, he's only slightly better than maine this year
    4) Dice-K's whip might be average but he has a great era and W/L record to go with it... maine and perez don't
    MSLSeattle0001

He has 100 IP this season.

MLB ERA

He was hurt for a month... the object of the game is to let up as few runs as possible and get wins...IP and WHIP are nice but arent required
    MSLSeattle0001

I was just responding to your poor use of the hits statistic.

MLB ERA

78 hits in 100 innings is still very good
    MSLSeattle0001

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast