The question is: when you factor in Rich Harden and C.C. Sabathia's durability (for this year and beyond), contract status, and the package going the other way to acquire each player, which was the better deal for the long run?

Rich Harden is obviously the bigger injury risk here, while Sabathia has already shown he's going to continue to eat innings and can be counted on to stay healthy. Harden has better raw stuff, but Sabathia has better control and command.

In terms of counting on one or another for an extended period of time if both were locked in long term, you'd obviously want to take Sabathia here.

But let's break down the packages and the issues of signability.

Harden has a club option for 9 million for 2009, which could pay dividends in helping lock him up long-term if he remains healthy for the Cubs. C.C. Sabathia

The Cubs sent starting pitcher Sean Gallagher, Single-A catcher Josh Donaldson, and outfielders Eric Patterson and Matt Murton, who were up and down from AAA and the majors throughout the year. In addition to Harden, they also recieved 25-year-old Chad Gaudin, who has worked in the rotation and bullpen this season and in the past for the A's.

In return for shipping Sabathia to Milwaukee, the Indians recieved top prospect first baseman Matt LaPorta, along with Class-A middle-reliever Rob Bryson and Triple-A lefty Zach Johnson, plus a PTBNL rumored to be Class-A third baseman Taylor Green or Double-A outfielder Michael Brantley, both top prospects in the Brewers system.

Let's analyze the prospects in each deal first.

Zach Johnson is obviously a reclamation project, and it remains to be seen if he can salvage his career in Cleveland. Rob Bryson has closer potential, but he is atleast a few years away.

Obviously, the piece that stands out here is LaPorta. He should be ready to slide into their lineup as early as next year, and also can now return to his natural position at first base. As a supposed can't miss prospect, he's in my eyes the best prospect involved in either trade.

But a young, projectable starting pitcher like Sean Gallagher is nothing to frown upon either. With a fastball that lands anywhere from 89-95, a slurvy slider that's good enough to get some swings and misses, and a 12-6 curve that has a 16 MPH difference on the radar gun, he's someone to be excited about.

Matt Murton was always undervalued in Chicago. Some things to watch out for: his arm, his range, his speed. But he's a good hitter, and a hard-nosed player who knows his pitch selection. Would be a nice 4th outfielder to any team that appreciates his service.

Now that he's landed in Oakland, I view Corey's little brother more as a utility man long-term more so than an everyday second baseman. With the pickup of Adrian Cardenas now as well, that theory supports my thoughts. He's a nice piece, and is close to MLB ready. Has more discipline than Corey, less pop, but he still can fly like his brother.

With Geovany Soto and Wellington Castillo both capturing all star honors at their respective levels, Josh Donaldson was obviously expendable to the Cubs. The change of scenery seems to have done well for the former compensentary first rounder. Projects as a nice offensive catcher, and could be the sleeper here.

So who got the better deal? Harden/Gaudin to the Cubs, or Sabathia to the Brewers?

I think there are two potential x-factors here to look at. One, the PTBNL on Milwaukee's half. In most cases, this wouldn't be a huge deal, but when a PTBNL is potentially a top prospect, it could change a deal.

The other is Chad Gaudin, who at just 25 has a future ahead of him as well. Can start or relieve, and has shown he can get the job done, he makes the trade slightly favor the Cubs, especially when you factor in Harden will be under their control and is more likely to stay with them longterm.

That being said, when it comes down to it I still think I would prefer Sabathia on my ball club to Harden knowing their injury risks and the types of players they are.