Thread: In The old days

Closed
    AAA ERA

Question In The old days

Back in the day I have seen a lot of footage of fans in the stands wearing suits and ties and fancy hats and looking like they are dressed in their Sundays best. What was the purpose of that and when did all this dress change to what we are wearing today? I just can't image fans cramed into a stadium wearing a suit in the Middle of August. It would be just miserable.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: In The old days

They dressed like that all the time. You can probably go to the hippie movement in the 60's and see when things really changed in the way we looked.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Bon Bon View Post
    Back in the day I have seen a lot of footage of fans in the stands wearing suits and ties and fancy hats and looking like they are dressed in their Sundays best. What was the purpose of that and when did all this dress change to what we are wearing today? I just can't image fans cramed into a stadium wearing a suit in the Middle of August. It would be just miserable.
    Back then, baseball wasn't a "sporting event," it was an outing...same as a play, opera, or a nice dinner.

Personally, I'd love it if a team had a day where you got a free admission if you wore a suit or gown, and a concession for a tie or a dress...it would be cool.

Closed
    AAA ERA

It could be called turn back the clock day. The only thing would the owners go for that free admission now a days. I doubt it, because it is all about the almighty dollar. You can't even get into an old fashion double header. You must first leave and then pay another admission proce to get into the 2nd game. I have never been to an old fashion double header, like my dad has and even my older sister has I think once and that to me is sad.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

They don't have good old fashion double header anymore

Closed
    AAA ERA

It is a sad thing from what my dad has told me. I would love to see two games for the price of one, but it probably will never happen in my lifetime.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

At least not until I win that lottery and buy a MLB team.

MLB ERA

It could be called turn back the clock day. The only thing would the owners go for that free admission now a days. I doubt it, because it is all about the almighty dollar. You can't even get into an old fashion double header. You must first leave and then pay another admission proce to get into the 2nd game. I have never been to an old fashion double header, like my dad has and even my older sister has I think once and that to me is sad.
    Not everywhere...just because the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets don't do things like that doesn't mean that the Royals, Pirates, or hell, even the Cubs won't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    They don't have good old fashion double header anymore
    That's the same thing as complete games though...

Players aren't just players, now they're investments...

Read the Jim Bouton book about the minor league stadium he saved...personally, I love everything about the 1800-1930 MLB...more than now even...the game was pure then.
    It is a sad thing from what my dad has told me. I would love to see two games for the price of one, but it probably will never happen in my lifetime.
    Me too...

MLB ERA

I saw one once. It was amazing. The Mets actually did one back in 2002 or sometime around there. It was against the Arizona Diamondbacks in the SWELTERING 95 degree NY heat. I think it was early august. Anyway, they were giving away free samples of Pepsi Blue if you left after game 1. I was young, and I was tempted, but my dad convinced me to stay. The Mets lost both games. Something like 8-4 and 9-2. It was embarassing, but still kinda fun. I would love to do that again...

Closed
    AAA ERA

I just would love the idea of spending the entire day at Fenway. That would be frickin awesome.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I just would love the idea of spending the entire day at Fenway. That would be frickin awesome.
    Yeah that sounds like it would be fun. I spend a whole day at McAfee Coliseum once, and lemme tell you, I now know why they call it the Mausoleum.