Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little help here

MLB ERA

Question A little help here

Hey guys, I'm in a summer baseball league which is starting saturday, and I am trying out starting pitching for the first time. My velocity is fine, I haven't clocked it yet, but my best guess is upper 70's. A guy I work with taught me how to throw a sinking fastball, 4-seamer, and a curveball. I'm working on practicing them now, and they are working out pretty well, especially the curveball and the sinking fastball (basically a 2-seamer)

I was wondering if anybody pitches and could help me out on a couple of things

1) I would like to learn how to throw a changeup since not many guys in high school throw one, and it would be good to have a pitch people haven't seen much before

2) I have a problem not getting the pitches down, I'm releasing too high sometimes, and other times it just sails on me. Is there something I can do to correct this?

I know this might be hard since you obviously can't see me pitch, but any help anyone can give would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: A little help here

Ask doppelganger. He looked like a pitcher.
    [kidding]
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

As far as getting your pitches down...maybe you're short striding a bit. Make sure that you're bending your back on your follow through as well.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by henks View Post
    As far as getting your pitches down...maybe you're short striding a bit. Make sure that you're bending your back on your follow through as well.
    when you say short striding, you mean not getting the leg all the way out far enough on the step towards home?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yeah. If you have a short stride, you end up being a lot more upright than you want, which ends up making your release point higher....you see where I'm going with this....
    -Chris

MLB ERA

yeah i definitely do. thanks man, i'll work on both of those things more

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Work on those two....I'm not a pitching coach or anything, but I did pitch for 3 yrs in high school, and those were a couple of things we worked on a lot.
    -Chris

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Do you have a digital camera that can record video (or a camcorder)? If so, get a friend to go to a park with you and record you pitch for awhile. Throw as if it was a game situation but try to hit the same location each time (so you'll have a good sample.) After you do it for awhile, both while hitting your spot and throwing high, watch the video and try to see if you can see any difference in your arm action or your stride or anything that could be causing it.

For me, the best way I ironed out any kinks was through methods like that.

MLB ERA

thanks guys. i really appreciate this. i'll keep working on these things.

actually mission, i was going to videotape myself last time i was practicing, but the battery in my camera was out. i'm going to do it next time, the camera is charging. maybe i could post it on youtube and you guys could critique it?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Critique it? or ridicule you endlessly on how ridiculous you look trying to throw a baseball?

just kidding man
    -Chris

MLB ERA

hahaha yeah it's probably true

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm in a summer baseball league which is starting saturday, and I am trying out starting pitching for the first time. My velocity is fine, I haven't clocked it yet, but my best guess is upper 70's. A guy I work with taught me how to throw a sinking fastball, 4-seamer, and a curveball. I'm working on practicing them now, and they are working out pretty well, especially the curveball and the sinking fastball (basically a 2-seamer)

I was wondering if anybody pitches and could help me out on a couple of things

1) I would like to learn how to throw a changeup since not many guys in high school throw one, and it would be good to have a pitch people haven't seen much before

2) I have a problem not getting the pitches down, I'm releasing too high sometimes, and other times it just sails on me. Is there something I can do to correct this?

I know this might be hard since you obviously can't see me pitch, but any help anyone can give would be great.
    You probably don't throw that hard if you can't keep the ball down...

If you have a good infield arm it usually doesn't transition...I throw 76, and top out at 78...and I have unnaturally good form.

1. Changeup...there are to types that are sick that I would recommend...if you throw over the top, go with the circle change:
    Hold like a two seamer except put your middle where your pointer is and your ring where your middle is...make a circle with your thumb and pointer and pull down like a shade.

Also, the football change. Hold it so the seams make a horseshoe if you look at it, and release softer and throw like a football.

A good CChange breaks down and in, and a good football change breaks down and away.

2. Practical ways to keep the ball from sailing (I've recommended all of these)

Push off of the rubber harder (causes you to lengthen your stride)
    Bend your knees more (you might be standing up straight)
    Torque your upper body more (you might not be following through)
    Bend your arm at the elbow (to see if you are short arming the ball)

If you try all of these and they don't work, then you have some issue with your motion...

I'm no "authority" but I got 1 pitching scholarship offer, and I did pitch for and captain my pitching squad as a freshman this year...if you needed credentials.

Providence A's pitched Semi-Pro, he also knows a lot.

MLB ERA

ok thanks bro. maybe you can look at the videotape i'll take and upload later today, just quick. i would really appreciate it

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    ok thanks bro. maybe you can look at the videotape i'll take and upload later today, just quick. i would really appreciate it
    No doubt...

I've been working on my shit as well.

I was having a cigarette outside my dorm and watching my motion in the shadow and I realized I was opening up earlier, thus my charlies were all hanging...I'm trying to fix it without sacrificing my 2 seam movement and not tipping my curve...

Shit's still eating away at my mind...that's the summer for you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast