Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A little help here

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: A little help here

semi-pro? no...a little bit in D-1 college, yes...

MLB ERA

that's sweet though dude, D-1 is awesome. that's quite a high level. where did you play?
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I put everything in slow mo so you can see it easier. The first bunch are all 2-seam fastballs, and the last 3 are curveballs. Remember guys, this is just my 2nd time pitching really. So I realize this may look pretty ridiculous to all you experienced guys out there. Please try to go easy on me But any constsructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

and yes, I'm pitching in Tims cuz I just got back from work. No biggie though

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The end position is peculiar. Not sure how you'd be able to field a ball. That's all I have to say about that.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    The end position is peculiar. Not sure how you'd be able to field a ball. That's all I have to say about that.

that's an easy fix...you're dropping your glove, which is causing your lead shoulder to fly open resulting in your pitches sailing high. Try pointing your glove toward home plate when you separate your arms (bringing your throwing arm up and back). As your arm is about to go forward you should tuck your glove under your arm pit / bring to your side. As you finish make sure you bring your stride foot even with your push off foot...have glove and hand ready to field in front of your chest area. Does that make sense? I might not be explaining it easy enough.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    that's sweet though dude, D-1 is awesome. that's quite a high level. where did you play?
    Thanks...I played a little at URI. I was there because I was a local (same state) left-handed pitcher. Lefties are always in demand. I quit during my sophomore year because it was taking up too much time. I wasn't getting any money from baseball, but had a school scholarship and had to work part-time to help pay for school...something had to go, ya know?

I really didn't learn to pitching until college. All throughout little league and high school I threw 4-seamers and 2-seamers...only in high school did I try to throw a curve or change up with mixed results at best...fooling around with a splitter at times as well. I didn't throw very hard...I'd say 80 was probably the highest ever...mostly lived in the 70s. I attribute my success to a 3/4 arm angle and the 2-seamer as a lefty. It would look like a screwball from a righty. When I threw it hard, it would move sideways a lot and late (closer to the plate). When I took something off it or was tired, it would still move sideways a lot, but it would also drop.

Batters just weren't used to seeing that because most of the kids were righty and most didn't throw a 2-seamer anyway, but even if they did it would move in to a right-handed batter. Mine would move away from a right-handed batter. It would look like it was going down the middle and then move far away at the end. They'd miss it or hit a weak grounder to the right side. In high school I only gave up 1 homer in my career and that didn't happen until senior year. I was always proud of that...and obviously the fact that I was even recruited by a D-1 school...I could have played for a D-3 school that recruited me and dominated, but I didn't want to go to that school.

A few years ago I tore my labrum (the part that lines your shoulder socket) 50%...It's torn at the top to the back. I can play, but I can't really pitch like I used to anymore because of the pain. I was 25 at the time (28 now) it was diagnosed and I chose not to have the surgery because the success rate isn't that great. It could be better, could be the same, or could be worse afterward...they do more damage just to fix it. They have to cut you open, cut all the muscles there and everything. All they do once they get in is shave the little flap of the labrum that is torn. You then have to spend the next 9 months rehabbing (4 in a sling, 5 more of PT after that). The orthopedist said if I was 35, he wouldn't even have recommended doing the surgery. He only recommended it because I was 25 and entering the "most active years" of my adulthood.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    semi-pro? no...a little bit in D-1 college, yes...
    Meh
    Yeah
    I put everything in slow mo so you can see it easier. The first bunch are all 2-seam fastballs, and the last 3 are curveballs. Remember guys, this is just my 2nd time pitching really. So I realize this may look pretty ridiculous to all you experienced guys out there. Please try to go easy on me But any constsructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

YouTube - Kyle Pitching

and yes, I'm pitching in Tims cuz I just got back from work. No biggie though
    70?

Nah, but here's what I saw:

You open up WAY to early. Try and keep your self more centered and compact, meaning: BEND YOUR BACK. Also, TORQUE!

Lengthen your step too, and really whip your arm through...that'll add movement and velocity.

Also, don't flail. You want to land in the same spot and have your throwing hand hit right above your lead knee...

And I can't stress the follow through enough.
    Thanks...I played a little at URI. I was there because I was a local (same state) left-handed pitcher. Lefties are always in demand. I quit during my sophomore year because it was taking up too much time. I wasn't getting any money from baseball, but had a school scholarship and had to work part-time to help pay for school...something had to go, ya know?
    Definitely...ah...a Lefty.

I really didn't learn to pitching until college. All throughout little league and high school I threw 4-seamers and 2-seamers...only in high school did I try to throw a curve or change up with mixed results at best...fooling around with a splitter at times as well. I didn't throw very hard...I'd say 80 was probably the highest ever...mostly lived in the 70s. I attribute my success to a 3/4 arm angle and the 2-seamer as a lefty. It would look like a screwball from a righty. When I threw it hard, it would move sideways a lot and late (closer to the plate). When I took something off it or was tired, it would still move sideways a lot, but it would also drop.
    The good two seamer is seriously a lost art. Mine moves the same way, and that's why I've had a lot of success in pitching.

Batters just weren't used to seeing that because most of the kids were righty and most didn't throw a 2-seamer anyway, but even if they did it would move in to a right-handed batter. Mine would move away from a right-handed batter. It would look like it was going down the middle and then move far away at the end. They'd miss it or hit a weak grounder to the right side. In high school I only gave up 1 homer in my career and that didn't happen until senior year. I was always proud of that...and obviously the fact that I was even recruited by a D-1 school...I could have played for a D-3 school that recruited me and dominated, but I didn't want to go to that school.
    I got recruited by St. Leo in Florida, but since I'm really too slow and my hitting is nowhere near college level, I was only scouted because I had a 3 inning, 8 K performance in a Spring League.

If you look up their actual academics though, you'll understand why I didn't play.

I also got a letter from St. Rose, but they wanted me to walk on because they had gotten a letter about a kid on my team, scouted him, and wanted me without losing the scholarship.

A few years ago I tore my labrum (the part that lines your shoulder socket) 50%...It's torn at the top to the back. I can play, but I can't really pitch like I used to anymore because of the pain. I was 25 at the time (28 now) it was diagnosed and I chose not to have the surgery because the success rate isn't that great. It could be better, could be the same, or could be worse afterward...they do more damage just to fix it. They have to cut you open, cut all the muscles there and everything. All they do once they get in is shave the little flap of the labrum that is torn. You then have to spend the next 9 months rehabbing (4 in a sling, 5 more of PT after that). The orthopedist said if I was 35, he wouldn't even have recommended doing the surgery. He only recommended it because I was 25 and entering the "most active years" of my adulthood.
    Ouch.

I dislocated my elbow and popped it back in on the same pitch.

It still clicks and soreness comes fast, and there is definitely a lot of tissue injury, but I can still pitch very effectively.

I'm going to get someone to tape me and post it...

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post

I wasn't really concentrating on that, just trying to pitch, and watch where it went. I also wasn't really throwing to anything because my dad couldn't throw back. He is about to have rotator cuff surgery. So I had to shag my own balls.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post
    Meh

Yeah

70?

Nah, but here's what I saw:

You open up WAY to early. Try and keep your self more centered and compact, meaning: BEND YOUR BACK. Also, TORQUE!

Lengthen your step too, and really whip your arm through...that'll add movement and velocity.

Also, don't flail. You want to land in the same spot and have your throwing hand hit right above your lead knee...

And I can't stress the follow through enough.
    Will work on all of these things. I had a feeling once I watched the tape that the leg and back were a problem. Thanks a TON man.

MLB ERA

that's an easy fix...you're dropping your glove, which is causing your lead shoulder to fly open resulting in your pitches sailing high. Try pointing your glove toward home plate when you separate your arms (bringing your throwing arm up and back). As your arm is about to go forward you should tuck your glove under your arm pit / bring to your side. As you finish make sure you bring your stride foot even with your push off foot...have glove and hand ready to field in front of your chest area. Does that make sense? I might not be explaining it easy enough.
    Yeah it definitely makes sense. I never really thought too much about my other hand, that's an excellent point. The finishing position of being fielding ready, again, I explained why I wasn't really doing it in the last post, but it's probably good to get in the habit now.

Thanks Prov, I really appreciate it.

MLB ERA

Yeah it definitely makes sense. I never really thought too much about my other hand, that's an excellent point. The finishing position of being fielding ready, again, I explained why I wasn't really doing it in the last post, but it's probably good to get in the habit now.

Thanks Prov, I really appreciate it.
    the glove thing isn't just for being in ready-to-field position though as I said...by dropping it like that it's causing you to open up too early.

MLB ERA

the glove thing isn't just for being in ready-to-field position though as I said...by dropping it like that it's causing you to open up to early.
    right. when i read your post, i went through my motion to myself in my room and you're absolutely right, it is dropping, so i practiced keeping it up and pointed towards the batter. big difference.

Alto Queso
    Rookie ERA

I think your getting some good feedback on this board but also check out pitching.com A lot of the stuff on the site you need to pay for but I really like this thing he put together on velocity and momentum: All About Pitching » Product » One Answer To Pitching Velocity
    http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...Doro9/reds.jpg

"Don't cry, we're grilling JTM with Chris Welsh after the game."

MLB ERA

right. when i read your post, i went through my motion to myself in my room and you're absolutely right, it is dropping, so i practiced keeping it up and pointed towards the batter. big difference.
    watch all the phases on this flash video (at the bottom of the page)...it does a better job of showing you what I tried to explain...as long as you don't just drop your glove, it's fine. You want to keep that shoulder up.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pitching Grips, Baseball Pitching Grips, How To Throw 10 Baseball Pitches, Pitcher Grips

This should help with your pitches. As far as adding velocity, long toss is key and it looks like you need to use your legs more. The push off is so vital!! Good luck to you bro!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast