View Poll Results: Was the cheering from the Nationals Dugout innappropriate?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think the Nationals acted in an immature way

4 36.36%
  • No, I think the Nationals can cheer however loud they want

7 63.64%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Washington Nationals: Bush League?

MLB ERA

Re: Washington Nationals: Bush League?

I mean, I guess its an opinion based thing. In my opinion, when a group of players(and a coach) synchronize a set of chants. And then they go ahead and chant in the middle of an at bat...it's just disrespectful to the game, the opponent, and most of all the pitcher. I think that it's just extremely immature and rude. That's my opinion. Disagree if you wish, but I don't like that...

MLB ERA

If I was a member of the Mets and I saw the Washington Nationals, of all teams, conducting a chant in their dugout that you usually only see in high school baseball at most I'd laugh, but I certainly wouldn't feel disrespected.

And I wouldn't take Keith Hernandez's opinion on what deserves to be taken offense to too seriously.

He's the same guy who took offense to the fact that the Padres have a woman as a sports therapist and that she's in a major league dugout during games..
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

See, that's taken out of context. He by no means took offense to it. He simply stated that he didn't think she belonged. And technically, by the rules of MLB, he was right. Technically, massage personnel (I'm pretty sure that's what she was...or something to that effect) are NOT allowed in the dugout. Technically, the dugout is only for players, coaches, the trainer, and the assistant trainer. She was none of the above. She did have permission from MLB to be there, but he did not know that. He was not offended by her presence, simply stating that she was not supposed to be there, which as far as he knew was true.

I don't think you can set standards based on the team. I don't think the Nationals should be punished. John Maine hit Felipe Lopez in the leg to send a message tonight, and it should be over. I simply think that the Nationals better grow up lest they want to start their share of brawls.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    See, that's taken out of context. He by no means took offense to it. He simply stated that he didn't think she belonged.
    He blurted it out in what sounded like an offensive voice to me.

And technically, by the rules of MLB, he was right. Technically, massage personnel (I'm pretty sure that's what she was...or something to that effect) are NOT allowed in the dugout. Technically, the dugout is only for players, coaches, the trainer, and the assistant trainer. She was none of the above. She did have permission from MLB to be there, but he did not know that. He was not offended by her presence, simply stating that she was not supposed to be there, which as far as he knew was true.
    Irrelevant.

He didn't ask in a sharp tone what a Sports Therapist was doing in the dugout, he asked in a sharp tone what a woman was doing in the dugout.

I don't think you can set standards based on the team. I don't think the Nationals should be punished. John Maine hit Felipe Lopez in the leg to send a message tonight, and it should be over. I simply think that the Nationals better grow up lest they want to start their share of brawls.
    I don't think the standards should be based on the team, either, it just seems funnier coming from a losing team.

But, hey, if they want to conduct little league chants during games then more power to them.

I just don't find it offensive.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

You can argue he offended her, or women in general, but he was not offended by her presence. Now, the thing is, you're right. He didn't specify that. He didn't make any specification. However, as he later recanted and apologized, he stated that his intentions were that none of the people who were allowed to be in the dugout for the San Diego Padres at the time were women. Had the Padres had a Female Trainer, there would have been confusion because that woman would have been allowed in the dugout. However, there was no woman who was allowed (by the rules of MLB) to be in the dugout. So, yes he chose his words TERRIBLY. And he has paid for it in the eyes of many. However, if you've listened to him, before the incident, during the incident, apologizing for the incident, and since the incident, you would know that he didn't is not a sexist by any means. He screwed up, I can't deny that. But that doesn't mean that his opinion on all dugout related manners is forever incorrect.

And it shouldn't be offensive, but neither should Joba's fist pump. So, MLB players are going to take this chanting personally, and if the Nationals don't want to get their rear ends handed to them in multiple bench clearing brawls, they better learn to be a bit more professional.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Professionalism is in the eye of the beholder.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Do you know which game it was in?

I may want to go watch it via MLB.TV to see the difference.
    It was a game versus the Indians. It was a couple of games after Dellucci took Joba deep for a three run shot. A couple of days later, Joba went apeshit with fist pumps and yelling. Dellucci did not show up Joba one bit.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234