1 11.11%
  • No

8 88.89%
  • Not Sure

0 0%

Thread: Are Umpires Getting Worse

MLB ERA

Are Umpires Getting Worse

Just by watching games this season I have seen many bad calls, not only on the Braves but other teams as well. Over the years I have noticed more and more bad calls.

What do you think?
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Are Umpires Getting Worse

No, they just need more help. Like, the league needs to keep pace with the other major sports and use that technology thing all the youngin's are talking about.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Idk, I feel the opposite. I feel like the number of bad calls has gone down significantly. I see many stolen base calls that are very very close, and umps get them right more often than not. I think they're actually getting better.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Considering the closeness of plays in the MLB, like on a stolen base that was previously alluded to, the umps do a damn good job imo. In fact, I'd say disregarding replay technology MLB umpires do the best out of the 4 major sports.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzer View Post
    In fact, I'd say disregarding replay technology MLB umpires do the best out of the 4 major sports.
    Agreed. I don't think that they umps are getting worse at all. Improving, eh, maybe not so much, but I don't feel that they're getting worse. Hey, they're human. They're bound to blow a call here and there. But like Bowzer said, compared to the other major sports in the US, the MLB ups not only have the hardest job, but I feel they are most accurate.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I really think they do a heck of a job. It sure seems like they are right on the calls about 90%+ of the time. We have to remember that most of their calls are bang, bang! And I really like how they meet to decide if a call needs to be over-turned.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

generally they do a great job. unfortunately, when they blow a call, sometimes they REALLY blow a call.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

The only reason I voted yes is because it seems like the strike zone is getting smaller, and smaller, and smaller every year. I remembered when I first started watching basball, a pitch at the letters was a strike and below the knees was a ball. Now, it seems like if it's above the belt it's too high, and the umps seem to be calling a lot more low strikes.

My .02
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by henks View Post
    The only reason I voted yes is because it seems like the strike zone is getting smaller, and smaller, and smaller every year. I remembered when I first started watching basball, a pitch at the letters was a strike and below the knees was a ball. Now, it seems like if it's above the belt it's too high, and the umps seem to be calling a lot more low strikes.

My .02
    I do think the upper area of the strike zone has decreased a bit over the years, and it does bother me a little bit, but not enough to really care enough about it. It is troublesome though, especially if the trend continues
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Well, the thing is I hear people saying hitters are getting better and pitchers are getting worse. I disagree. Yes, hitters are getting a lot of hits, but that goes with the evolution of the game (ie watching film, studying pitching charts/game reports, learning tendencies) but it doesn't help the pitcher when the strike zone is in the kitchen of every batter. Maybe I'm just disgruntled because I used to pitch.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I think it's ridiculous to say the umpires are getting better or worse as a whole...if anything though, they have to be improving
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Alto Queso
    Rookie ERA

I don't believe they are getting worse. I belive the advancement in tv replays has just made bad calls more obvious. You hardly hear someone comment on a good call just because that is expected of an umpire. I can think of a few good calls I witnessed while watching the Reds over the last few weeks. One was Brandon Phillips trying to stretch a single into a double. At first it appeared he was out by a mile, the ball beat him and from the live camera view it appeared as if he obviously tagged him and that the ump blew the call and said he was safe. However, on the replay it showed Phillips snuck his foot under and around the tag and to pick this up in real time I give the up an A+. The same exact situation happend later in the game but at the plate and upon replay it confirmed the call even though all the fans, broadcasters, and myself thought he was clearly out after watching it live.
    http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...Doro9/reds.jpg

"Don't cry, we're grilling JTM with Chris Welsh after the game."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I saw a cool show on Fox Sports that showed where a very high percentage of the time umpires get the call right. Granted this was only the home plate umpire but it was fascinating just how right these guys are behind the plate. They are graded on their performance every year so they better get it right since their jobs depend on it.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

I would say that they are doing about the same if not somewhat better.

My only problem is consistantly calling the same pitch for balls and strikes. I'll see a pitch called a strike for one team and the same pitch called a ball for the other team throughout the night.

One other problem us some of the umps wanting to decide the game instead of calling the game. Please, those umps need to check their egos at the door and just call the game.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central