Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the worst trade ever made?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: What was the worst trade ever made?

The Pierzynski trade made sense at the time. Giants needed a catcher and Nathan was coming off a bad post season. Bonzer was thought highly of and Liriano was in A ball. If A.J. wasn't such a cancer in the clubhouse, he would probably still be in a Giants uniform. Giants were not informed he had no work ethic.

Is slapping himself in the crotch not knowing he was talking about the Mets/Bay trade.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I personally never ever liked Reggie Sanders, Quilvio Veras, and Wally Joyner for Bret Boone, Jason Shiell and Ryan Klesko. Veras ends up playing in 155 games in two seasons, Sanders hits only 11 homeruns and hits .232. A deal with the best intentions that immediately died (Klesko reals off 3-4 good seasons and Boone finally figures out how to hit)
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The SD-ATL trade didn't make sense to me at the time it was made. SD wanted to add more power to the lineup, but they traded away Reggie Sanders, who hit about the same number of homers as Klesko and Boone, anyway.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Pierzynski trade made sense at the time. Giants needed a catcher and Nathan was coming off a bad post season. Bonzer was thought highly of and Liriano was in A ball. If A.J. wasn't such a cancer in the clubhouse, he would probably still be in a Giants uniform. Giants were not informed he had no work ethic.

Is slapping himself in the crotch not knowing he was talking about the Mets/Bay trade.
    see, i have to disagree. it didnt make sense in the strong way that you dont trade three pitchers for a catcher. you just dont. sure, nathan had a bad postseason, but he was still a solid pitcher. bonser was a decent prospect and liriano, was a solid prospect at the time. Three pitchers for an average catcher? (and he was only average with the Twins) didnt make sense then.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    The SD-ATL trade didn't make sense to me at the time it was made. SD wanted to add more power to the lineup, but they traded away Reggie Sanders, who hit about the same number of homers as Klesko and Boone, anyway.
    Well, Veras had no power, so they'd be getting two 20 homerun types for one. And Boone also had pretty good defense. I know why Atlanta wanted to do it, they needed speed and a leadoff man, plus backup help for The Big Cat. But it flamed out quickly.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Well, Veras had no power, so they'd be getting two 20 homerun types for one. And Boone also had pretty good defense. I know why Atlanta wanted to do it, they needed speed and a leadoff man, plus backup help for The Big Cat. But it flamed out quickly.
    I agree that that is why Atlanta wanted the deal. What I meant to say is that I didn't fully understand why San Diego wanted to do it. It's clear to me that they wanted Bret Boone, who was a premier second baseman. It's just that Klesko seemed to be a downgrade from Sanders, who had both speed and power.

MLB ERA

Kevin Towers always has his obsessions with certain players he desperately wants to acquire. Klesko was one of those players when he was still with Atlanta.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I agree that that is why Atlanta wanted the deal. What I meant to say is that I didn't fully understand why San Diego wanted to do it. It's clear to me that they wanted Bret Boone, who was a premier second baseman. It's just that Klesko seemed to be a downgrade from Sanders, who had both speed and power.
    Statistically, you can't even say Boone was a premier second baseman at the time, only defensively.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He was coming off a down year offensively, but he still had plus power for a second baseman. Then subsequently in Seattle, he went on steroids.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Speaking of Pedro Martinez, leave it to me and page 3 for a mention of Pedro for Carl Pavano and Tony Armas. Pedro for Delino turned out to be one of the worst ever, but Pedro was then only a relief pitcher, although a superb 21-year old one. Pedro was coming off a Cy Young winning season in which he posted a ridiculous 1.90 ERA when Montreal shipped him off to Boston for Glass Carl.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He was coming off a down year offensively, but he still had plus power for a second baseman. Then subsequently in Seattle, he went on steroids.
    But the 20 homerun power didn't really offset the low average, low obp (he had a couple of seasons under .300), subsequently low ops and was always good for twice as many strikeouts as walks. He also clashed with Bobby Cox.

Both teams were really better off not ever doing that deal, and Atlanta could have turned Boone to someone else. Fortunately, what Atlanta dealt to get him never panned out either (Mike Tucker and Rob Bell I think?).
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Derrek Lee for Hee Sop Choi was great.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Atlanta also gave up former 20-game winner and formerly devout husband Denny Neagle for Boone and Mike Remlinger.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Remlinger was good for several seasons. Prolly the least likely guy of the deal to maybe be the best guy of the deal.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Arizona dealing Brad Penny.. for Matt Mantei. (imagine the slight chance they'd have webb-haren-penny-owings..). Yeah, sure, at the time it was for a potential stud closer. But he disappeared, but briefly made a spring training comeback this year.
    Ted

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast