Thread: Union to investigate as to why Bonds has not rceived contract

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Union to investigate as to why Bonds has not rceived contract

Fehr says union will investigate why no Bonds offers as it examines free-agent market - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP)—The lack of offers to Barry Bonds will be examined by the baseball players’ association as part of its annual review of the free-agent market.

Less than two weeks before opening day, the 43-year-old home run king remains unsigned.

“He’s in playing shape right now. He just hasn’t hit off live pitching,” Bonds’ agent, Jeff Borris, said Tuesday. “I’ve had conversations with Barry. It would probably take him about two weeks to get ready.”

Bonds was indicted in November on four counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of justice, charges stemming from 2003 grand jury testimony in which he denied knowingly using illegal performance-enhancing drugs. The seven-time NL MVP pleaded not guilty.

Tampa Bay acknowledged last month that it had internal discussions about the prospect of pursuing Bonds. St. Louis manager Tony La Russa had interest in Bonds but Cardinals management decided against opening talks.

Borris said Bonds was working out in the Los Angeles area. He wouldn’t comment on the status of any negotiations.

“He wants to play,” Borris said.

After speaking with the Los Angeles Angels during his annual tour of spring-training camps, union head Donald Fehr said his staff will examine possible collusion against Bonds and others.

“We always look at the free-agent markets every year and make judgments about them, and if we come to the conclusion with respect to any player that there’s a matter worth pursuing, we’ll pursue it,” he said. “But I’m not going to make any suggestions or accusations unless and until we come to that conclusion.”

Fehr wouldn’t say whether he found it troublesome that no team has publicly said it wants Bonds.

“I haven’t talked to him about it or his agents and I don’t want to comment personally about it since I haven’t had the opportunity to do that,” he said.

Bonds hit .276 last year with 28 homers, 66 RBIs and a major league-leading 132 walks. He made $19.3 million, and the Giants decided to let him go after 15 seasons in San Francisco.

While he has slowed in the outfield during recent seasons, Bonds could make a potent designated hitter for an American League team. He has 762 homers— seven more than Hank Aaron’s previous mark—and would be a box-office draw for a team with slow ticket sales.

On another topic, Fehr wouldn’t say whether he thinks baseball commissioner Bud Selig will try to punish players implicated in the use of performance-enhancing drugs by former Senate majority leader George Mitchell. In his Dec. 13 report, Mitchell asked that Selig not impose discipline “except in those cases where he determines that the conduct is so serious that discipline is necessary to maintain the integrity of the game.”

“I hope that the recommendations Sen. Mitchell made in that regard will be honored,” Fehr said. “Obviously, the commissioner showed great respect, and I believe it’s fair to say deference, to Sen. Mitchell’s recommendations, and this is one of those.”

No players have been called in for investigatory interviews since Cleveland pitcher Paul Byrd spoke with baseball lawyers Dec. 17. In addition, hearing dates have not been scheduled for Kansas City outfielder Jose Guillen, who appealed the 15-day suspension Selig imposed in early December.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported in November that Guillen purchased human growth hormone, testosterone and the steroids stanozolol and nandrolone between May 2002 and June 2005. Guillen has declined to address the allegations.

Baltimore outfielder Jay Gibbons also was suspended for 15 days and didn’t contest the penalty. Gibbons admitted receiving a shipment of HGH in January 2005.
    I think it is quite obvious as to why nobody has signed him...he's likley going to end up in the slammer for perjury.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Union to investigate as to why Bonds has not rceived contract

He made just over 19 mil last year, and, as the article said, would be a good box office draw for a team with slow ticket sales. Turns out, most teams with "slow" ticket sales are small market clubs who wouldn't be able to afford to pay a guy 19 mil a year.

My opinion.

Plus he's gonna go to jail anyway.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Union needs to stop the drug use instead of wondering what GM's are thinking.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Pronk48 View Post
    Fehr says union will investigate why no Bonds offers as it examines free-agent market - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

I think it is quite obvious as to why nobody has signed him...he's likley going to end up in the slammer for perjury.
    not to mention, he is an AL only player now. Is he worth the money to be a DH? and are there any real openings for a DH?

thatd be the other reasoning.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    not to mention, he is an AL only player now. Is he worth the money to be a DH? and are there any real openings for a DH?

thatd be the other reasoning.
    AL teams that do not need a DH:

Cleveland Indians- Travis Hafner
    Boston Red Sox- David Ortiz
    Chicago White Sox- Jim Thome
    Detroit Tigers- Gary Sheffield
    Los Angeles Angels- Garret Anderson
    New York Yankees- Johnny Damon
    Oakland Athletics- Jack Cust
    Toronto Blue Jays- Frank Thomas

AL teams that can use a DH:

Baltimore Orioles
    Kansas City Royals
    Minnesota Twins
    Seattle Mariners
    Tampa Bay Rays
    Texas Rangers

The teams that could use a DH can't afford him or wouldn't pay him anyways.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central