Thread: Clemens' press conference

Clemens' press conference

After watching that press conference I am not so sure what to believe. The phone conversation was not really that helpful at all. Clemens could have done a much better job with that phone call especially the part where McNamee says "what do you want me to do" or something along those lines. He needed to answer that a little more forcefully.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Clemens' press conference

I didn't get any revealing information from either of them...I don't know what the hell to believe in all honesty.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Agreed 100%. Hopefully the Congressional Hearing on the 16th will be more telling.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

That phone called sounded a little too scripted to me but the pre4ss conference did sway me a little bit towards Clemens defense.

AAA ERA

I am going back and forth, I think the call helped b/c McNamee never said "I ssaid it b/c it was the truth" he just sad "what do you want me to do, I'll do anything. Either way the truth is going to come out and that's what's best for baseball.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Here is what I think. Clemens couldn't really get on McNamee like he wanted to because of their case in court. Clemens couldn't use verbal attacks whatsoever because he knows he would have been badgering a witness.

My account of the 17 minute phone call is this; I still think Clemens did it. I think McNamee was afraid to take a stand over the phone becuase he mentioned he knew someone was listening in on their phone call.

I think Clemens took steroids and McNamee injected them into his body. McNamee told the truth to the investigators and is "willing to go to jail" and tell them that he lied if it means he can get some money from Clemens to help his dying son.

McNamee kept going back to the fact that he "has nothing" and his wife and kids are gone. He kept telling Clemens that he didn't know what to do. But then said he would fly out to where Clemens was and meet him face to face. I think that was so they could hash out what they wanted to do.

This will be settled out of court pretty soon in my opinion. Clemens will still have to stand before Congress as McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, and Thomas did. Clemens sees that Palmiero didn't have a severe punishment even after lying to Congress. So Clemens can do the same thing.

Just my thoughts.

MLB ERA

I didn't watch the press conference, just what ESPN had to say about it. The clips they pulled out didn't make the Rocket look too positive. The real test will come when he testifies in front of Congress, under oath. Will he tell the truth there or not, and if not, can he handle the consequences?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon