Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If given the chance, how would you build a team?

I wish I were clearer. When I said everyone was at set prices, I failed to include a based on their talent type of clause. It's easy enough to just pick the best cheap players.

Some people got what I was looking for (focus on pitching or speed or farm system or whatever).

If you are going to make a team, make it realistic. If based on talent, not even George Steinbrenner would spend enough to get some of these teams. My fault for not being clear. If you're spending 70 million, pretend that all the players are in FA. Are you going to be able to get the likes of Pujols, Peavy, Santana, Sheets, Renteria, and 20 other MLB caliber players for that on the open market?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

I think this is pretty attainable:

I'd go for defense; defense does win championships. Furcal, Aramis Ramirez, Laroache, Victor Martinez and Todd Walker would be my infield. In the outfield, I'd have Andruw Jones, my big bat on the team would be Vlad in right, and Mondesi in left.
    My ideal rotation would consist of Smoltz, Hampton, Brad Penny, Kyle Davies and Chien Min Wang at the back end. Ryan Dempster would be the set up man, K-Rod the closer, and Jorge Sosa (spot starter), Yhency Brazoban, Flash Gordon and Billy Koch would come outta the pen, I'd also want a super-utility man, like Chone Figgins.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I'd start with pitching and defense...and since I wouldn't have much money left, then I'd have to play small ball and go for some OBP, speed, and contact guys.

AA ERA
    I would go for a couple solid SP and then a bullpen. Offense would be speedy with contact hitters and hopefully some solid defenders (especially CF).
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I picked what I thought would make a great team for the future. I think we all know what it takes to be a great team. Great pitching, defense and all that jazz is a given.

MLB ERA
    build my farm system around pitching and build my line with speed and defense type players
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

MLB ERA
    IMHO.. Youth movement, in combination with a few wiley vets who are not over 32 years of age....

You build for competitiveness now, improvement over the upcoming seasons, and players you can grow and hold on to so that your fans will remain loyal... the vets must be mentor types, but not without skills and fan appeal... most talent centered around starting pitching and infield (with a lot of emphasis on defensive prowess in the middle and at 3rd)...

MLB ERA
    build a better bull pen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12