Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tampa Bay changes team name

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Tampa Bay changes team name

They're now just the "Tampa Bay Rays" after dropping the "Devil" from the team name.

The Official Site of Tampa Bay Rays: News: Tampa Bay Rays News

11/08/2007 8:59 PM ET
    Rays usher in new era with new identity

Costner leads celebration introducing franchise's altered image
    By Bill Chastain / MLB.com

ST. PETERSBURG -- A palpable vibe reflecting a new beginning resonated throughout Straub Park on Thursday afternoon, where the Devil Rays officially became the Rays, and the colors of the team's uniforms changed from green to blue. After months of speculation about coming changes, the Rays spilled the beans about the subtraction of "Devil" from the name, their new team colors -- navy blue and light blue -- and a new icon, a bright yellow sunburst invoking the magnificence of life in the Sunshine State.

More than 7,000 fans jammed the park to see 18 Rays players don the new uniforms and parade onto a stage to give a sneak peek at what fans can expect in 2008.

"It feels like a fresh start," left fielder Carl Crawford said. "It's like that feeling of going to school on the first day. You get to wear the new uniforms. It feels good. You know what they say, 'You play like you feel.' We feel good, we look good, so hopefully, we'll play good."

Crawford has seen his share of losing, but with the team the Rays had at the conclusion of the 2007 season, he has a renewed optimism about the direction of the franchise, and said that he felt the changes reflect that new direction.

"Most definitely, I'm the most optimistic I've been," he said. "I get to play beside B.J. Upton every day, hopefully hitting in front of him, and Delmon [Young], too. If you can't get excited about playing in that outfield every day, then you don't have a pulse. ... I think this is the best potential we've had since the club came into existence."

The new home and away uniforms, as well as the team's new primary logo, feature "Rays" in navy-blue lettering cast with a light-blue shadow. The sunburst gleams from the letter "R." The two hues of blue suggest the deep-blue waters and bright-blue sky for which Florida is known. The elongated tail of the "R" further reinforces the water imagery.

In the primary logo, the team name is set against a white baseball diamond with a prominent navy-blue outline. The diamond features base paths, bases and home plate outlined in light blue.

The new cap has a base color of navy blue, with white "TB" lettering cast with a light-blue shadow. The lettering was custom designed for the team, and selected for its elegant simplicity and classic look.

The new colors are unique within Major League Baseball. The Rays worked closely with MLB on the design, and also conducted internal research with employees, fans and local leaders.

In addition to the players and coaches, former Rays Fred McGriff and Wade Boggs modeled the new uniforms and licensed team apparel. The festivities continued with a concert performance by the actor Kevin Costner and his band, Modern West. A fireworks show and a pyrotechnics display of the new Rays logo put an exclamation point on the event, which was presented by Champs Sports, The St. Petersburg Times and Bright House Networks.

Principal owner Stuart Sternberg wore a permanent smile at Thursday's event.

The event "was an 11 on a scale of 10, as Jackson Browne used to say," Sternberg said. "We were hoping to make a splash. I was a little skeptical about trying to hit this one out of the park. We wanted to do something tasteful, and I think we stepped outside of our normal comfort level and went for it. ... The players seemed to get into it, and certainly the crowd here was pretty charged up.

"We had no concept of what to expect. I was hoping to get a few thousand people. And we went way north of that. I think more than the amount of the people, there was really energy in the crowd."

Sternberg assumed his role as principal owner following the 2005 season and asserted that a change to the team's identity was necessary.

"I think this gives us as an organization and identity," he said. "It was something where we were tied to the past, and the past wasn't something we necessarily wanted to be known for. Nobody's running from it, or hiding from it, and we're proud of certain aspects of it. This is something the organization has really been able to put their arms around, and I'm hoping the fans will see it as a new beginning."

Whereas the initial reaction of the fans seemed enthusiastic, the team's reaction was two thumbs up.

"Love the colors," Upton said. "They're just classic uniforms, and I think it's going to be great."
    Scott Kazmir had a sneak peek several weeks ago, and has been smitten with the new look ever since.

"I just like how simple [the uniforms] are," Kazmir said. "They're professional. They have the grays and the whites, there's not too much on it. Just professional."

Manager Joe Maddon likes the "simple elegance" of the uniforms.

"It's the kind of uniform that can stand the test of time because they're not real busy," Maddon said. "[They] have a classic look to them -- I like them a lot."

He added that he liked "the idea of the new uniform at this particular time."

"Because you're always looking for that symbolic moment to really move on to that next area where we want to within the standings, getting to the playoffs, et cetera," he said. "There are a lot of things coming together at the right time. This, and the way this has been done today. The fan response has been excellent."

Yet the organization will not remove all connection to its first 10 years of play as the Devil Rays. An updated Devil Rays patch will continue to be worn on the left sleeve of the jersey. The team will also continue to operate its popular touch tank filled with live rays at Tropicana Field.

The change will extend throughout the organization. Both the exterior and interior of Tropicana Field will be updated to reflect the team's new look. Raymond, the team mascot, has also been updated.

In addition, the Rays' official website has been changed to raysbaseball.com.

"Our new team name and new look express the vibrancy of our organization," said team president Matt Silverman. "The Tampa Bay Rays will shine, on the field and in our community. We will be a great source of pride for our region."

MLB ERA

Re: Tampa Bay changes team name

Could bring them good luck. Look what happened to the D-Backs.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 777rak View Post
    Could bring them good luck. Look what happened to the D-Backs.
    Arizona changed their name to the Arizona Backs?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    Arizona changed their name to the Arizona Backs?
    oh sorry I meant that the D-Backs got a new uniform and won the divison. offctopic my bad

MLB ERA

Lame

What's the point?

They're supposed to be named after the sea animal, right?

Well, they're called "Devil Rays"

Taking out the "Devil" makes it seem like they're named after magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    Taking out the "Devil" makes it seem like they're named after magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.
    Uh, yeah. That's the point of changing a name. To change its meaning. They're no longer named after the sea creature.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    After months of speculation about coming changes, the Rays spilled the beans about the subtraction of "Devil" from the name, their new team colors -- navy blue and light blue -- and a new icon, a bright yellow sunburst invoking the magnificence of life in the Sunshine State.

MLB ERA

Then why is the Devil Ray still incorporated amongst their new logos?

That's just a ploy to mask why they really changed the name.

"Devil" is offensive.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Blah.

MLB ERA

I kind of like it...but I loved the Green alterate TB, I'll need to procure one when they're on sale.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    "Devil" is offensive.
    If so, the "New Jersey Devils" are going to change to just "New Jersey".

I do remember the "Hawaii Rainbow Warriors" changing their team name to "Hawaii Warriors", recently. They didn't want anything to do with "Rainbow".

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I dont like their name just being Rays. It doesn't sound right. It sounds goofy. that is just me though.

MLB ERA

I am sure glad they took the word devil out of their names because that was just so offensive to me. Man now that they are just called the Tampa Bay Rays maybe I won't be so offended and so maybe I can actually like them...
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I guess I like the name change. It's bugged me for a while now, the whole "devil" thing, but I know that I'm still going to call them the "TB Devil Rays" for the next few months atleast. Just too used to it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You can change the name but unless they get some good pitching, its the same product. Can't fool us Selig!!

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Their new uniforms make my dick limper than Eva Longoria's moustache does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast