Thread: Four contenders for AL manager award

Four contenders for AL manager award

Proverbially, managers have reason to distrust that dreaded "vote of confidence" from ownership. Well, being voted Manager of the Year must also appear somewhere on that list of mixed blessings. Often, this award recognizes overachievement which, almost by definition, is difficult to sustain.
    No one will say "No, thank you" to the recognition, and all appreciate any compliment of their work. But managers seldom view this award as a flawless reflection of performance, and for good reason.
    In the American League, for instance, Minnesota's Ron Gardenhire kept winning Central Division titles -- four in the previous five seasons -- without a trophy. Not only that but, during his run, three other managers from his own division were honored.
    Of the 17 different managers between both leagues who have been Managers of the Year in the last decade, 10 aren't even working at that job anymore.
    Gardenhire again is on the outside looking in, but Election Central for the AL Manager of the Year campaign figures to again yield a Central Election. Cleveland's Eric Wedge, who steered the Indians back from a disappointing 2006 season and through unexpected offensive woes this year, is a frontrunner to be the fourth winner in five years from his division.
    The Angels' Mike Scioscia -- a rarity to have grown into a dean of managers in the only job he has held -- and Boston's Terry Francona are also top contenders.
    The Yankees' Joe Torre also deserves a place on the ballot. But a funny thing about the media's perceived East Coast bias, perception often being reality: The manager of an East Division team has not received this award since 1999, when Boston's Jimy Williams was honored.
    FAVORITES
    Eric Wedge, Indians: The Indians are having the season they were supposed to have in 2006, and much of the credit for getting them back on track belongs to this soft-spoken Midwesterner. Cleveland hasn't led the Central from Day 1, but the Tribe has played solid ball from the outset, never spending a day below .500. He is equally adept at encouraging veterans and inspiring young players.
    Mike Scioscia, Angels: Managers of teams expected to win rarely get support for this award. But Scioscia's steady leadership steered the Angels over numerous obstacles between high preseason expectations and the second-best record in the Majors. He lost his second-biggest run producer (Juan Rivera) for most of the season even before it began, had only limited use of his titular staff ace (Bartolo Colon), and dealt with a list of other injuries and deep slumps. He brilliantly adapts his style to his personnel, reflected in an aggressive game executed by a scrappy crew that keeps nine innings of pressure on the opposition.
    Terry Francona, Red Sox: He deserves some overdue recognition for his managerial skills -- both at handling personnel and running games. Barely a blip in this voting while winning 193 games his first two seasons with Red Sox teams regarded as deep in talent, he has a considerably more modest roster back at that same level. Suffice to say veteran Boston fans would never have expected the team to spend a summer in first place with a regular lineup that includes a .240-hitting shortstop and center and right fielders with 13 homers between them.
    CONTENDER
    Joe Torre, Yankees: This is the second time in three seasons that Torre's calm-but-forceful leadership has steered the Yankees back from the brink of early-season disaster. In 2005, when he drove a team that was under .500 as late as June 14 to its eighth straight division title, he received third-place support. So rallying for a Wild Card does not figure to impress voters, who have a hard time equating $200 million payrolls with managerial coups.
    The Official Site of The New York Yankees: News: New York Yankees News

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Four contenders for AL manager award

i'm shocked! the four contenders are the managers of the four teams that are going to make the playoffs!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I said in another thread that Eric Wedge is my choice to be manager of the year. Look at that team and how well they are doing. Hafner is having a down year and that pitching staff isn't great at all outside of Sabathia, Carmona and Perez. When you have a closer with an ERA above 5 and you are winning your division that inlcudes the Tigers and Twins, you are doing something right.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Four contenders for AL manager award

How about John McClaren of Seattle. He took over for Mike Hargrove, who quit on this team and made them contenders in the playoff race. You have got to throw his name into the conversation at least!

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    How about John McClaren of Seattle. He took over for Mike Hargrove, who quit on this team and made them contenders in the playoff race. You have got to throw his name into the conversation at least!
    They were already playing good ball when Grover quit.

Also, this swoon they've been on which will probally cause them to miss the playoffs doesn't help.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

MLB ERA

Wedge.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mike Hargrove didn't quit. In all likelihood he was pushed out on orders from Boss Nintendo in order to convince Ichiro to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Pronk48 View Post
    They were already playing good ball when Grover quit.

Also, this swoon they've been on which will probally cause them to miss the playoffs doesn't help.
    Hey Pronk48! I've seen you around

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Screw Eric Wedge. The Indians were supposed to be contenders last year but they threw the season so Wedge can win the Manager of the Year award this year.

JOSE REYES IS KING
    Rookie ERA

Eric Wedge for sure no doubt
    http://www.getafreeappleiphone.com/i...ers/1167_4.gifpaid for my Jose Reyes jersey Yes it works you can try it too.Free money for quick easy surveys.For Pictures of my checks and tips check out my blog http://paid4mycamera.blogspot.com/

Rookie ERA

I just know that somehow they will find a way to screw Wedge out of it.

MLB ERA

You may call me a homer but I honestly think Torre deserves this award...14.5 games back at one point in the year and now they are 3 back. Everyone counted this team out and said that there is no way that they could ever make the playoffs, well they were wrong. Torre has had to start 26 different pitchers, and also call up minor leaguers to fill voids in the lineup do to injuries. The Yankees have been hit with injuries this year and its not very often you see young kids step into the lineup like the Yankees youngsters did. You may call me a homer but I'm not sure any manager could have gone through what Torre has gone through... Besides Fracona has made some bad moves these last couple weeks with leaving Gagne in and not putting in Papelbon.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Rookie ERA

I really think Eric Wedge deserves it.

- Small/Mid Market team with a small payroll.

- Hafner has slumped all year.

- Sizemore has played well, but below his normal standard of play.

- The outfield platoon, how did that work out?

- Josh Barfield bombed out...and rookie, Asdrubal Cabrera who's natural position is shortstop, replaces him at 2B and plays almost flawlessly.

- Franklin Gutiérrez is called up to play in the outfield, and plays flat out awesome baseball.

- Andy Marte, the guy we got who was the main cog in the trade of Coco Crisp, gets sent to the minors due to poor play.

- Jake Westbrook goes down in ST with an abdominal strain and Fautso Carmona plays flawlessly in his place.

- Cliff Lee then goes down, and they bring Carmona back up. He parlays his second stint as a starter this year into a phenominal season that almost overshadow's C.C. Sabathia's.