Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Half Awards

Turn 2

Re: First Half Awards

Yeah, but the liklihood of them beating out the Padres, Dodgers, or D-Backs is slim to none.

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA

Funny, I thought it was the Most Valuable Player Award, not the Most Valuable Player on a Contending Team Award. All players have value, just because it isn't realized by a crappy team doesn't mean it isn't there.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...bedard2006.jpg

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox

Turn 2

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTribe View Post
    Funny, I thought it was the Most Valuable Player Award, not the Most Valuable Player on a Contending Team Award. All players have value, just because it isn't realized by a crappy team doesn't mean it isn't there.
    Very True

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTribe View Post
    So you aren't going to try and explain how a guy on a last place team has value? What honor is there in being awarded best guy on a 100 loss team? There is none. Be realistic! A MVP rises his team over expectations such as a guy like Bonds did in the 2003 and 2004 and how Pujols and Howard did. These are valuable guys. What was so valuable about Arod leading a team to a last place finish. It's value, not best!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Turn 2 View Post
    Yeah, but the liklihood of them beating out the Padres, Dodgers, or D-Backs is slim to none.
    It's not likely but because of him they are only 5.5 games out and still in this hunt at the mid way point which is what we are picking guys for. Without him, they are probably below the Giants which is just sad.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ok I'm going to propose a hypothetical situation. Let's say that there was this pitcher on a losing team and there was no Cy Young award. Say the team lost 100 games and was therefore 62-100. But this pitcher was a phenomonal pitcher. He had a heater, a change, a wicked slider, and a nasty curve (sounds like Zito, only better). He was a leader in most pitching catagories. He won 25 game for his team and lost only 5. He was the winning pitcher in almost 50% of his teams victories. Tell me if and why he wouldn't deserve the MVP.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Depends on who else is up for it obviously. There is a flaw in your situation saying he was the winning pitcher in 50% of the games with only 25 wins. Say he did go 25-5 and had just an unbelievable year but finished last. What about the player who played everyday and hit .330/41/117 and lead his team to a WC? It's all about who else is out there. Arod won it years ago because there was no clear cut winner and the votes were spilt up thus winnign by default.

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

He would. It's just an example of baseballs tradition being both a blessing and a curse. MVPs are typically position players.

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA

Why should I explain that a guy who is playing has value? He obviously has value and there are measures for that such as VORP (which AROD leads the majors in at this point). Just because that value doesn't put his team in contention doesn't mean it isn't there. You should be explaining how said value doesn't exist because frankly, you're not making sense on that front.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your argument that a player who helps to put his team in contention seems more valuable, but he gets a benefit of having better players around him. His value is realized, while the player on a bad team's value unfortunately isn't. Why should he be penalized for that?

As for "ris[ing] his team over expectations," seems pretty subjective to me.

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

Not to mention Bonds has won MVPs on losing teams. You're creating a double standard.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You are asking the wrong question. Without the Arod on the Yankess, where would they be? Probably right where they are. Without Bonds on the Giants, they would be in the cellar. How is this even a debate? It's not that he seems more valuable, he is more valuable. That's the whole point. With those better players around him, if he's not there they don't do anything! You have to have that certain someone to take them over mediocrity! Pretty simple.

Pretty subjective? Please put down your picks. I would love to see them.

And no Bonds has never won a MVP on a losing team. Nice try though

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Depends on who else is up for it obviously. There is a flaw in your situation saying he was the winning pitcher in 50% of the games with only 25 wins. Say he did go 25-5 and had just an unbelievable year but finished last. What about the player who played everyday and hit .330/41/117 and lead his team to a WC? It's all about who else is out there. Arod won it years ago because there was no clear cut winner and the votes were spilt up thus winnign by default.
    Ok so this guys team won 62 games and that pitcher won 25...that's 50% of the victories...how do you not get that? And I know that it depends on who else was out there having a good year.

A guy shouldn't be judged just because of the team he is on. It's most valuable player. Player. The team shouldn't play a huge factor. It's the guy who had a phenomonal year and was able to help his team. You said earlier that you could be playing LF for the Giants and they'd still be in last place. Well, yeah! How can you expect a guy to single-handedly carry a team to the playoffs? That's why it's called a team! A team wins the WS, a player wins the MVP. Just cause Carl Crawford is on the Rays doesn't mean that he can't win the MVP. Just cause the Yankees aren't playing up to par doesn't mean that A-Rod can't win the MVP. I really have no clue where you're coming form, reefer. Your "theory" isn't making sense...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by hot_corner_gurl View Post
    Ok so this guys team won 62 games and that pitcher won 25...that's 50% of the victories...how do you not get that? And I know that it depends on who else was out there having a good year.

A guy shouldn't be judged just because of the team he is on. It's most valuable player. Player. The team shouldn't play a huge factor. It's the guy who had a phenomonal year and was able to help his team. You said earlier that you could be playing LF for the Giants and they'd still be in last place. Well, yeah! How can you expect a guy to single-handedly carry a team to the playoffs? That's why it's called a team! A team wins the WS, a player wins the MVP. Just cause Carl Crawford is on the Rays doesn't mean that he can't win the MVP. Just cause the Yankees aren't playing up to par doesn't mean that A-Rod can't win the MVP. I really have no clue where you're coming form, reefer. Your "theory" isn't making sense...
    Ok the first part I missed totally and now feel dumb about it. I spaced on the win total even though 25 +25 =50 As for the rest of it, I have pretty much explained. For your situation, the guy who played everyday and had the .330/41/117 and helped take him to the WC crown has more value because without him, they would be right where the pitcher's team would be. Plus like you said it's a team effort and someone had to score for the pitcher. I understand its a team effort and not just one man can do it all but one man stands above the rest and leads his team and has more value!! It's the MOST VALUABLE award, not has some value award. That's how Morneau won it last year. Mauer did great and so did Santana but without Morneau they do come close to the sniffing contention. Because he stood above the rest and lead that team, he was most valuable to that team!

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    You are asking the wrong question. Without the Arod on the Yankess, where would they be? Probably right where they are. Without Bonds on the Giants, they would be in the cellar. How is this even a debate? It's not that he seems more valuable, he is more valuable. That's the whole point. With those better players around him, if he's not there they don't do anything! You have to have that certain someone to take them over mediocrity! Pretty simple.

Pretty subjective? Please put down your picks. I would love to see them.

And no Bonds has never won a MVP on a losing team. Nice try though
    I'm wondering the same thing.

Pretty subjective b/c expectations are subjective, therefore exceeding them must be.

If you put AROD on the Tigers and Magglio on the Yankees, would the Tigers be better and the Yankees be worse? VORP says yes.

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

VORP People who put stock in that are hilarious!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast